PDA

View Full Version : bent ex axle

nelzar13
08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
So i went out for a ride today basically my first trail ride on the longer side 3-4 hours, on my new to me quad... And i was noticing i had some wheel wobble on my rear tires on the way back(wasn't there the day before). So when i got home i took a spin down my road while looking at the back end. first i looked at the tire, yep it wobbles, then i watched the rim, yep its wobbling to, then to the axle. yep that's wobbling also ! So needless to say im not super aggressive yet, since im just getting used to my first quad so i wasn't ripping around like crazy. the only thing i did that i could think may have bent it was ride a bunch of woops?
im not a small dude by any means probably 220 pounds or so. i didn't hit any rocks or anything no jumps, infact i think the only thing that left the ground was my two front tires... Any one else ever bent there rear axle from something like this? it really seems like it should be able to with stand a simple ride like today's? And on that note whats a good new rear axle with out breaking the bank? id probably like to go plus 1 or so nothing crazy. i dont intend on racing but hey since i need a new axle might as well ad an inch? thoughts ?

this is on a 02 bone stock 400ex

CJM
08-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Are you sure the bearings arent bad? Lift the rear up and pull the tires to you and push back, then wobble it up and down. If it moves you need carrier bearings.

Your tire could also be out of round, ive had a few like that.

nelzar13
08-29-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah bearings are all solid... im pretty sure its the axle. im gonna look into it more tomorrow since i got angry and just put in in the garage after its bath. i did check for bearing movement though

CJM
08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Reminds me, mine wobbles too, but its the wheel/tire cause when i swap from side to side it changes.

nelzar13
08-30-2010, 06:12 AM
any advise on a new axle any one?

Napalm Nate
08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I would remove the axle to make sure it was bent, if it is I would go with a g-force axle (cheap, adj. width, and stronger than stock). If you race prob worth the extra coin on a dominator II or lonestar. I dont race but ride pretty hard in the woods and hit the mx track when I can and have had no issues with the g-force axle.

nelzar13
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
ya i was looking at the g force. i guess theres a good guarantee on them and they are pretty affordable. Im positive ill never race, but im also positive i will start doing jumps and stuff soon.