08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
"style and performance"

Seriously?

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
something wrong with that.?:confused:

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
No civics PLEASE. They have no style and definitely no performance without some money.

Eclipse/Talon GSX/TSi are nice, but still aren't all that fast without upping the boost. And DSM DOHC motors are horrible with timing belts.

Why are you limiting yourself to those two? So many other cars in the same price range.

rbgnwa45
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Play Forza 3 to get an idea on performance, they're mostly all slow. They're both throw-away cars. If you want something fast, do an engine swap in a light-weight 4x4 car (hatch), or a 5.0 that you can put a bunch of money into. If you can afford an RX-7 or an old gen. Skyline, buy one.

CJM
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Civic, is much better built eclipse is junk.. Both arent worth the money people pay for them.

Personally I would buy a camry. Reliable, well built and decently sporty.

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I agree with CJM. Although even though civics are much better built, and more reliable, they are NOT performance cars. So please do us all a favor and don't buy one and think its the fastest thing around..

Look into some other cars. 4th gen LT1 f-body's are in the same price range, and MUCH faster then the cars you mentioned.. and in my opinion look pretty nice. You can also get a 5.0 mustang which performance parts are readily available for cheap everywhere.

Also look at 240SX's.

Please, the eclipse and civic are both pathetic. And don't even think about the 420a non-turbo 140hp eclipse haha.

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
i limity them to those two because i want a first car that is sporty, stylish even when stock and good reliablity/performance.
any other options under 3000 dollars.?

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
i limity them to those two because i want a first car that is sporty, stylish even when stock and good reliablity/performance.

Civic- Sporty... no. Stylish? Hell no. Reliability is only positive.

Eclipse- Sporty.. kinda. Stylish? Not bad but way old now. Reliable? Good luck with that one.

For $3000 and under, if you want something stylish with some performance, look at 240's, and LT1's. I got my 93 LT1 6-speed for 2500 with only 73k miles as a first car and have been loving it.

Also 5.0 mustangs, non turbo 300zx's are nice options.

Pipeless416
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM

those are neither sporty or stylish.. they're economy cars.. that being said, i would go for the more reliable one of the two.. the civic.

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 07:22 PM
thanks 4 the options..
ill look them up
what about a del sol.?....

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks 4 the options..
ill look them up
what about a del sol.?....

Del sol = Del Slow

Civic in disguise :ermm:

The Hondas are definitely reliable but they are as much of a sports car as a prius.

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
hondamaster5505...were u buy ur car at.?..if its not much to ask..

Jigsaw
08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Im not a fan of hondas or rice, but if I had to choose it would be a newer prelude or a subaru wrx.

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
hondamaster5505...were u buy ur car at.?..if its not much to ask..

I don't mind, haha. I got it off good ol' craigslist. You can find deals all day long on there.

I got mine for 2500 because the 2nd gear synchro was starting to grind, but Ive been driving it as-is this whole time and just double clutch it for daily driving. But I have seen other LT1 f-bodies with nothing wrong for around 3k with around 85k miles give or take.

Go on your local craigslist, go in the cars section, set your max price to 3500 (because theres always room for negotiation) and look for a car you like.

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 07:33 PM
haha,,i did n i found a good deal on a 300zx for 2500.
preludes are nice to...good option or no.?(1994 t0 1999)

Hondamaster5505
08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
haha,,i did n i found a good deal on a 300zx for 2500.
preludes are nice to...good option or no.?(1994 t0 1999)

Preludes aren't bad. A little quicker then your average Honda. Still not crazy fast but yet again, it's a first car anyway.

300zx's, the non turbo ones aren't that quick but nice cars. Great styling and comfortable.

Jigsaw
08-29-2010, 07:39 PM
97 and newer. The bodystyle before that just looks bland IMO. The 97 and up look clean when done right.

Like this
http://www.lips-kit.com/images/prelude-97-01-side-skirts-oem-3.jpg

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
ino..ma cusing had one up in yakima washington...lokked like that same picture.
i just dont like how the seats are really low tho

ProspectorJim
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Once in a while you'll see some mkIII supra's on craigslist for around that price.

99400esex
08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
How about..................NEITHER!

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
well not everthing is perfect,especially your first car!
you have to start with something don't you...?

99400esex
08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Haha yeah, im just not a fan of either. Go with a chevrolet.:devil:

CJM
08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
well not everthing is perfect,especially your first car!
you have to start with something don't you...?

Your first car should be four things:
1. Decently cheap, 3-5k at most.
2. Not overly fast
3. Reliable
4. Not usually stylish or cool, less chance of being a cop magnet this way.

You will do the following:
Abuse/beat it, drive fast, break it, crash into things, not to care of it, etc, etc, etc. Dont believe me? being a mechanic you can ALWAYS tell when you get a kids car in, its always beat to hell, has a sound system thats usually wired like the monkeys at best buy do, usually something is dented, broke, scraped, pushed in, or something.

Its your first car, trust me your gonna either wreck it or damage it in some way. Dont tell me your a good driver, cause you dont have enough experience to be.

Im sure there are exceptions (me being a good example but I been driving anything and everything since I was a little kid), but dont take all of the above the wrong way. Im a mechanic and I tow cars, I pick up accidents all the time and trust me you will damage the car somehow and if you buy one of them somewhat so called "sporty cars" it happens sooner since you think you are a good driver but your not.

The reason you want a cheap, reliable and non sporty car is:
1. if you wreck it then your only out a few bucks not tons of a cash
2. reliable means it wont need major repairs unless you break it
3. the less sporty the less chances you get pulled over if you drive like a normal person.

This picture contains what was once a dodge neon. 2 teenage drivers were doing over 100mph (no small feat since it takes a LONG time to get there with a little pos 4 banger). I can fit whats left of it in the back of a pick up truck let alone my flatbed. The kids were both killed when the car lost control and hit the trees. Their ages: 19 and 20..

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1977/doc4c7664b50d1c96682555.jpg

Trust me man, been there done that and I seen some stuff that would make you puke if you saw what happens when teenage kids get behind the wheel and screw up. Lets just say you its definitely the truth.

99400esex
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
100 mph in a neon? Bad decision. Ive had a few friends pass over the years from the same thing. I havent been driving the longest but CJM is right. Get something cheap because you probably will beat it and eventually wreck it. Happened to me but it wasnt my fault luckily.

250ex_dan
08-29-2010, 09:28 PM
thanks for the advice man,best if herd all day.
god bless

CJM
08-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I hope I didnt come off as rude, but man its the truth.

Save some cash for a cool car once you been driving awhile. This way not onyl can you afford it, but you can appreciate it :)

toby400ex
08-29-2010, 11:25 PM
If you have a quad, get a truck! Otherwise if you want some cheap fun get a Talon TSI.

440racer66
08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
300zx's are really an awesome car i could eat up alot of v8s but i have a truck now and im much happier but i still miss my z

Hondamaster5505
08-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Your first car should be four things:
1. Decently cheap, 3-5k at most.
2. Not overly fast
3. Reliable
4. Not usually stylish or cool, less chance of being a cop magnet this way.

You will do the following:
Abuse/beat it, drive fast, break it, crash into things, not to care of it, etc, etc, etc. Dont believe me? being a mechanic you can ALWAYS tell when you get a kids car in, its always beat to hell, has a sound system thats usually wired like the monkeys at best buy do, usually something is dented, broke, scraped, pushed in, or something.

Its your first car, trust me your gonna either wreck it or damage it in some way. Dont tell me your a good driver, cause you dont have enough experience to be.

Im sure there are exceptions (me being a good example but I been driving anything and everything since I was a little kid), but dont take all of the above the wrong way. Im a mechanic and I tow cars, I pick up accidents all the time and trust me you will damage the car somehow and if you buy one of them somewhat so called "sporty cars" it happens sooner since you think you are a good driver but your not.

The reason you want a cheap, reliable and non sporty car is:
1. if you wreck it then your only out a few bucks not tons of a cash
2. reliable means it wont need major repairs unless you break it
3. the less sporty the less chances you get pulled over if you drive like a normal person.

This picture contains what was once a dodge neon. 2 teenage drivers were doing over 100mph (no small feat since it takes a LONG time to get there with a little pos 4 banger). I can fit whats left of it in the back of a pick up truck let alone my flatbed. The kids were both killed when the car lost control and hit the trees. Their ages: 19 and 20..

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1977/doc4c7664b50d1c96682555.jpg

Trust me man, been there done that and I seen some stuff that would make you puke if you saw what happens when teenage kids get behind the wheel and screw up. Lets just say you its definitely the truth.

I will say that this does pertain to a LOT of new drivers, but not all. Like you said there's exceptions. I started driving my LT1 RIGHT when I got my license. It's been a couple months now. I almost never beat on it unless im showing it to someone who hasn't been in it yet, I take care of it, maintain it, clean it 24/7, and my stereo was installed properly. I have respect for my vehicles and pretty much never push the limits of my car because I know the dangers and it's not worth it to drive like that on the street.

So yes, for once, im a 16 year old kid with a firebird that's a more responsible driver then most kids my age. Hell i consider myself more responsible then most adults.

Everyone has a little fun here and there, but I keep it on the low down and on very rare occasions:)

250ex_dan
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM
na,its aight CJM,you have to hear the outcomes and advice before you make a choice,especially if you are responsible, paying cash and being safe.
you dont only have to worry about yourself,but worry about the people,on the road too. the roads can be a way safer if more teens like me hear about this stuff and actually see pics of what has happened...
thanks alot

were you get ur car440racer.?

JJs450r
08-30-2010, 06:30 PM
i had a svo turboed mustang that was a lot of fun to drive wasnt the fastest car out there but was plenty fast for a 16 and was would smoke stock camaros and trannys lol but i flipped it in a ditch not cause i couldnt drive but some drunk *** was driving in the middle of the road in a sharp turn :(

JJs450r
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
id personally get a mustang camaro or truck

250ex_dan
08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
i like those too but wndt the insurance cost more.?..
anybody have any price quotes or price ranges.?

CJM
08-30-2010, 10:24 PM
your welcome 250ex_dan, just drive safe and take it easy and be like Hondamaster5505 and you will be ok.

Sportier the car more to insure btw, couldnt quote you a price cause in NJ its probably 3x as much as where you are.

Thats why I like trucks, they are cheaper to insure and aint fast so the cops leave them alone.

440racer66
08-31-2010, 09:55 AM
cops do look at a sports car harder and will give it a ticket before a truck. but my 300zx was cheaper on insurance.

ben300
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
**** all those vehicles....

you buy an an civic or an eclispe...ppl are gonna think your a rice..

buy a 90's fbody......people are gonna wonder what trailer park you came from..

i suggest you get an amish buggy....

theres no insurance, no fuel costs...and if it breaks down, you can always ride the horse...:devil:

Pipeless416
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ben300

im biased, but :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: IMO a well kept 4th gen is one of the best looking cars in existence.

however, i second the horse and buggy suggestion. it'll crap all over the other civics and eclipses.. literally.

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Really? Obviously you don't know too much.

At my high school so far all I have gotten is compliments.. People love it. I haven't had one person view it as a "trailer park" car.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I think the 4th gen's have very nice styling.

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
BTW if it helps at all, I pay $105 a month for my firebird here in PA using State Farm. Everyone else was like $150+ a month.

Pipeless416
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
although, i do happen to call the t tops my mullet breezers.. :D i pay $76/month liability in IL through state farm for a 99, but im going to be 23 in october..

quadrcr161
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
i also agree with cjm and his post.

for your 1st car, IMO i would say older civic like a hatch or crx. cheap to pick up, cheap to insure, easy to work on with plenty of aftermarket parts and the best thing, you can do it while getting 39 mpg while having fun. when i say fun i mean handling, the si's are the fastest or even quick but handle like a street legal go cart, and even for their time they can still surprise people. the interior can be pretty nice and comfortable if you can find them in good shape. plus with the cheap insurance and great gas mileage you can afford to do other things. plus you have the reliability of a honda and the older hondas are more reliable then the newer ones.

stay away from the dsm, unless you like replacing cranks and blocks regularly

with the lt v8's and the mustang insurance can get you and gas mileage can suck, plus all youll really do is just make noise. and yes, the older firebirds cameos remind me of something post up on blocks in trailer parks that bubba is building a motor for.

250ex_dan
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
well i dnt want to spend alot of $ on gas..now in this hard time but i want a cheap 3000 dollar car(i have a 96 buick right now so want to make 1500 a sell) that is nice on the inside,maybe lether if possible,sporty,nice to drive around,comforable on the inside and nice looking......

what kinda of car comes to mind?>>>>>>
thanks 4 all the advice guys:)

quadrcr161
08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
well i dnt want to spend alot of $ on gas..now in this hard time but i want a cheap 3000 dollar car(i have a 96 buick right now so want to make 1500 a sell) that is nice on the inside,maybe lether if possible,sporty,nice to drive around,comforable on the inside and nice looking......

what kinda of car comes to mind?>>>>>>
thanks 4 all the advice guys:)

prelude or integra, both have leather as an option and you can get the h22 in the prelude and the b18 in the gsr integra, and they are both honda products and a little higher on the list then the civic.

muddy400EX
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161

with the lt v8's and the mustang insurance can get you and gas mileage can suck, plus all youll really do is just make noise.

totally disagree with that. ricers are the ones that just make noise. civics,eclipses, etc. they go VRIIIIIIIN and go nowhere.

the older f bodies do look like mullet cars, but i dont see how you think that of lt1s

JJs450r
08-31-2010, 06:28 PM
i paid 45 on my 5.0 last year but when i was 17 i had a 95 5.0 and insurance was was around 100 with me being on my parents

Jigsaw
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
prelude or integra, both have leather as an option and you can get the h22 in the prelude and the b18 in the gsr integra, and they are both honda products and a little higher on the list then the civic.

This!

Good gas mileage, looks good just dont rice em out. Oh and speaking of ricers you will have alot of them on your *** if you get the prelude with the h22 or gsr

Hondamaster5505
08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
i also agree with cjm and his post.

for your 1st car, IMO i would say older civic like a hatch or crx. cheap to pick up, cheap to insure, easy to work on with plenty of aftermarket parts and the best thing, you can do it while getting 39 mpg while having fun. when i say fun i mean handling, the si's are the fastest or even quick but handle like a street legal go cart, and even for their time they can still surprise people. the interior can be pretty nice and comfortable if you can find them in good shape. plus with the cheap insurance and great gas mileage you can afford to do other things. plus you have the reliability of a honda and the older hondas are more reliable then the newer ones.

stay away from the dsm, unless you like replacing cranks and blocks regularly

with the lt v8's and the mustang insurance can get you and gas mileage can suck, plus all youll really do is just make noise. and yes, the older firebirds cameos remind me of something post up on blocks in trailer parks that bubba is building a motor for.

Do you even know what an LT1 is? It's the 4th gen.. not the 3rd gen "Iroc" style you guys are thinking of. (And yes the Iroc is the mullet-hick looking one but I still think they look nice when done up right)

LT1's are nice looking, and FAR from being a trailer-park car.
Plus they don't get "horrible gas mileage" For a V8, 16 city and 26 highway is respectable.

Plus "all they do is make noise" Umm im pretty sure civics and eclipses make more noise and go nowhere. F-bodies aren't extremely fast but far from "making noise" and not going anywhere.

You mean to tell me this looks like a mullet car?

Pipeless416
08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
^ that thing is sexy.. for an LT1 i guess :devil: :devil: just kidding, i love it. honestly though, you sound like you're looking for something more economical than anything. i would look towards a civic or integra.

fasterblaster09
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
anyone else notice it's always the same dumbasses ALWAYS replying to the threads that have the word civic in it and say the same stupid sh*t?

there's nothing wrong with getting a civic, just don't rice it out. Don't listen to the idiots on here. I've had 4 honda civics and 3 of them had over 300k miles, one had 375k and still ran great. this is the last place to get unbiased opinions...

of course an lt1 is the best car in the world, so you would be a complete idiot to get anything else, but you know that right?

quadrcr161
08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
1st off i never said to mod it, in stock form the older ones handle like a gocart, unlike the v8's most have posted about which to me feel like a bloated pig. just my opinion.

Originally posted by muddy400EX
totally disagree with that. ricers are the ones that just make noise. civics,eclipses, etc. they go VRIIIIIIIN and go nowhere.

the older f bodies do look like mullet cars, but i dont see how you think that of lt1s

if you disagree thats fine, but here in the south where everyone has the fbody with the dual exhaust that sounds like its under water or sounds like a truck with 5 inch duals, not to forget the ones with the v6 that sound like they struggle to get out of there own way it gets pretty old. personally i dont like the big exhaust on the imports either, esp if its an auto.

Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Do you even know what an LT1 is? It's the 4th gen.. not the 3rd gen "Iroc" style you guys are thinking of. (And yes the Iroc is the mullet-hick looking one but I still think they look nice when done up right)

Plus they don't get "horrible gas mileage" For a V8, 16 city and 26 highway is respectable.

Plus "all they do is make noise" Umm im pretty sure civics and eclipses make more noise and go nowhere. F-bodies aren't extremely fast but far from "making noise" and not going anywhere.

unless the car is modded and quite fast, i would hate to get 16-26 mpg, im actually selling my tacoma b/c it gets that kind of mileage and feels like a slug. btw my wifes v8 4runner gets 22.6 in the city, havent checked highway yet. thats also your opinion on the cars view but again here in the south guess what i get to see parked up on blocks or smoking while parked at the gas station. also see above about the sound. i do admit that car looks nice but its been modded and isnt your everyday view of these cars.

Pipeless416
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
anyone else notice it's always the same dumbasses ALWAYS replying to the threads that have the word civic in it and say the same stupid sh*t?

there's nothing wrong with getting a civic, just don't rice it out. Don't listen to the idiots on here. I've had 4 honda civics and 3 of them had over 300k miles, one had 375k and still ran great. this is the last place to get unbiased opinions...

of course an lt1 is the best car in the world, so you would be a complete idiot to get anything else, but you know that right?

there hasn't been much civic bashing for once. i completely agree that that's what he should be looking for. threads like this don't go straight to the crapper anymore because Flew isn't here. i'm glad we can have car threads again.

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Civic are GREAT cars. Don't get me wrong. They'll run forever and get great gas mileage. But the thread was started to see what would be sporty and we can all face that a civic is not a sports car, it's an econo-car. haha.

ben300
09-01-2010, 06:08 AM

do you realize that an LT1 is not even a car...it is a motor....is teh base version of the 350 engine....it not even a car......

1. calling all 90's cameros/fbirds an lt1 is like saying my old mans silverado is a duramax, which its not...there are so many v6 versions of those cars running around its pathetic.....same with mustangs.

2. the car you posted is a firehawk, and that doesnt do any justice...that was a limited production car and had an ls4 in it. its a little different than your average joe plumber fbody.

3. i still think, every time i see somebody getting into one of those cars, they should be wearing white tennis shoes, black wranglers, a black cut off sleve tshirt with greese stains, a mullet and fu manchu, and to top it off, they need to tear off into the sunset set wearing their dale sr sunglasses blasting some bob seager......................

ben300
09-01-2010, 06:22 AM
but all things aside...pick up a cheap civic........their cheap, cheap to insure, the motors and trannies are durable and reliable as can be, theres tons of parts available for them, and they get excellent gas milage. thats all you need for your first car.

like said before...you will trash your first car...

i did, and i even tried to take car of it. i had the "sporty" looking car, and even though i didnt wreck it, at 16, i abused the hell out of it. you should be looking for something to get soem experience...im not saying buy something thats a total piece, which some people do, cause you'll put more money into repairs taht you did into buying the car.

if you really want something sportier.....save a little extra and buy an acura rsx....they're well built, most have leather, they kave the k20 motor in them, and they're enough of them around (well at least their are in my area) that you should be able to pick one up cheap..

and just to clear things up, im not an import fan what so ever. im a made in america/assembled in america person all the way, but you should think responsibly with your choice. not only financially, but safety wise as well. if i had a kid, and was buying them a vehicle for the first time, i would much rather go out and buy them something reliable adn safe, than buy them a sporty car...

muddy400EX
09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
man there is really some hate for f-bodies on here,haha.

its funny though with the white/trash thing

cuz when i see an eclipse,civic or any import for that matter. i think of a douchebag looking teen, with a sideways hat and leaned back all the way in seat bumpin lil wayne,haha

guess everybody likes different stuff tho
:cool:

muddy400EX
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
there hasn't been much civic bashing for once. i completely agree that that's what he should be looking for. threads like this don't go straight to the crapper anymore because Flew isn't here. i'm glad we can have car threads again.

what happened to flew? he get banned?

quadrcr161
09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
man there is really some hate for f-bodies on here,haha.

its funny though with the white/trash thing

cuz when i see an eclipse,civic or any import for that matter. i think of a douchebag looking teen, with a sideways hat and leaned back all the way in seat bumpin lil wayne,haha

guess everybody likes different stuff tho
:cool:

haha i can get the same image in my head for the imports depending on how the car looks or how they are driving, but i can also see it in the v6 fbody, but usually the hat is backwards and usually white.

250ex_dan
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
i made a new car thread:)

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
do you realize that an LT1 is not even a car...it is a motor....is teh base version of the 350 engine....it not even a car......

1. calling all 90's cameros/fbirds an lt1 is like saying my old mans silverado is a duramax, which its not...there are so many v6 versions of those cars running around its pathetic.....same with mustangs.

2. the car you posted is a firehawk, and that doesnt do any justice...that was a limited production car and had an ls4 in it. its a little different than your average joe plumber fbody.

3. i still think, every time i see somebody getting into one of those cars, they should be wearing white tennis shoes, black wranglers, a black cut off sleve tshirt with greese stains, a mullet and fu manchu, and to top it off, they need to tear off into the sunset set wearing their dale sr sunglasses blasting some bob seager......................

Sorrrrryyy Mr. Right.

1) LT1 is just more convenient to type and most everyone knows what I am referring to. It's not like im talking about the corvette or B-body caprices. :rolleyes: I would NEVER recommend a V6 f-body. That's like a 6-cylinder corvette it just isn't right.

2) I posted the car for styling purposes, not to say "thats what he can buy" Even though it's a firehawk, that is pretty much a stock appearance LT1 f-body with rims. Most any other Formula LT1's look just like that but with factory rims. Oh and they came with an LT4, which is really the same motor with a slightly more aggressive cam, heads, and little other things. Not an LS4 (Im assuming that was a typo..)

Christ. I only mentioned the LT1 as an option... never said it was the end-all be-all. So much hate for these cars I guess.
:ermm:

Wheelie
09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
F-body's only have one good trait, the LS1 in the later years. Other than that, they are a pile. Very cheaply made and the ergonomics/visibility are probably the worst of any car ever built.

Hondamaster5505
09-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
F-body's only have one good trait, the LS1 in the later years. Other than that, they are a pile. Very cheaply made and the ergonomics/visibility are probably the worst of any car ever built.

That's all personal opinion;)

There are a lot of people that would actually take an LT1 over an LS1 (I myself would rather have an LSX, but the LT suits me just fine)
And there build quality got a lot better over the 3rd gens.

I have no problem with visibility and find it pretty comfortable.

(Except for the cup holder being right behind the shifter.. WTF Pontiac?)

backwoodsracer
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
any other options under 3000 dollars.? . Those two cars are the opposite of stylish and performance.... Do you self a favor and don't let yourself beleive that you'd actually look cool in a grocery getter with a fart can bolted on. Get an old mustang or something but those cars are Slow!!! My dad is obsessed with enticing people driving them to race his 2wd 2500hd v8 vortec or the jeep and just blow them away. He's not lost yet

Hondamaster5505
09-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Alright, if you don't think you will be a responsible driver, or think you won't be able to hold yourself back, don't get something fast.

My friend got his first car legal a week ago.. a 99 Firebird LS1. Well just yesterday, he ended up getting cocky with it and isn't very experienced, and had two friends in the car.

He was doing excessive speed on this one back road, and took a turn way too fast. Ended up smacking into the side of a hill, and skidded an 1/8th mile down the road into a set of trees. The car was TOTALED. Thank god they were wearing their seatbelts, they were ok.

Long story short, I consider myself responsible enough to own a car of this nature as a first car, and it shows in my driving. But if you don't have experience get a crappy first car and learn to drive.

e463x
09-04-2010, 09:11 AM
b20 hatch will lay down the hammer on v8 with power to weight ratio.

rpfeifer11
09-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Just get a 240sx, civic si or a integra gsr. They are quick cars and are amazing on gas. I am looking for a s13 coupe 240sx myself but they are so hard to find.

tbrackman84
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
CIVIC

ben300
09-05-2010, 09:54 AM
hondamster, we gonna see you on the entry list for next years daytona 500?

if you dont think your a responsible driver..then get something resonsible like an suv or a little pick up truck.....

some peoples kids, i tell ya

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
hondamster, we gonna see you on the entry list for next years daytona 500?

Yup. And ill destroy everyone:p

Are you gonna enter in your yugo?

ben300
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Yup. And ill destroy everyone:p

Are you gonna enter in your yugo?

no, i was actually thinking about either entering an austin healey, or a geo metro

CJM
09-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by e463x
b20 hatch will lay down the hammer on v8 with power to weight ratio.

Then bust the cv axle and the v8 still comes out on top...

hondamaster, your story proves my point totally..sad as it is.

Hondamaster5505
09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Then bust the cv axle and the v8 still comes out on top...

hondamaster, your story proves my point totally..sad as it is.

Yeah.. He was the case that he didn't respect his vehicle, and wasn't very coordinated, and thought the car would go where he pointed it.

You have to have a certain mentality to have something even remotely quick as a first car.

CJM
09-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah.. He was the case that he didn't respect his vehicle, and wasn't very coordinated, and thought the car would go where he pointed it.

You have to have a certain mentality to have something even remotely quick as a first car.

Indeed, thank god everyone is ok!

Hondamaster5505
09-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Indeed, thank god everyone is ok!

Definitely. Because of their belts they were all fine, crawled out through the T-Tops. But I can almost guarantee there would have been at LEAST serious injuries if they weren't wearing their belts.. it was bad.

CJM
09-06-2010, 07:11 PM
See sometimes the belts save lives and sometimes they are deathtraps cause you woulda lived had you been thrown out or they trap you in the car.

krt400ex
09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Del sol = Del Slow

Civic in disguise :ermm:

The Hondas are definitely reliable but they are as much of a sports car as a prius.

if you can find a del sol with the b16 dohc vtec head it will be a decently quick car. they only weigh something like 2300lbs and with 160hp they run pretty well. they are light and small and handle very good with a little suspension work. being a car guy, you need to be able to look at the potential of a car. not the way the car is as it sits. del sols have alot of potential. civics are a dime a dozen, but i think they do too. i like the eg6 hatch alot actually. they are nice and when they sit low they have a nice stance.

i would never buy an eclipse anything. ever. they are girl cars period.

i like the 240sx, though the ka24 is slow as balls. and you wont find an sr20 in your price range unless the body is beat to hell.

the 300zx, eh not as reliable as they could be and a royal PITA to work on. my buddy had one, nothing but problems. though the styling is nice.

if you must go with a honda, i would go for an integra GSR. b18a DOHC vtec head good for 170hp(can get more easily) and they handle pretty decently.

for a first car i wouldnt buy a v8. being young and not having a good paying job but driving a big v8 is going to kill you on gas, and you wont have the money to fill the tank(yes they can be driven easily, but be realistic. young kid with sports car=LEAD FOOT EVERYWHERE).

you can find an older volkswagon vr6 for a good price. thevr6 sounds amazing, and has a decent amount of power for a first car.

250ex_dan
09-09-2010, 06:36 PM
oaky..
well in other words...
what is a good first car that will NOT kill me on gas,insurance and maintance.?

k4f5x0r
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
If you can find a non rusted non extremely high mileage stockish 240 with the KA24, they have a ton of potential with that KA.

Boost the KA to about 12 psi and you get a nice increase, and gobs of torque. The SR is the exact opposite, no torque all HP.

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

krt400ex
09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
If you can find a non rusted non extremely high mileage stockish 240 with the KA24, they have a ton of potential with that KA.

Boost the KA to about 12 psi and you get a nice increase, and gobs of torque. The SR is the exact opposite, no torque all HP.

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

i agree, or you could make a nice na engine out of it. it'd be pretty easy to get 200+hp out of it but not really cheap.

dan, to answer your question. anything that is small in displacement is going to do decent on gas. you can get mid 20's to the gallon out of a small v6(but again, only if you drive easy). if you want a car that will do good on gas and you can still hammer to gears and have some fun, get something with a small displacement inline 4 or flat four(i.e subaru). again, like i said an acura integra GSR is a good choice. they make decent power, the revs are fun and vtec is a blast to drive. they handle decent and driving them hard you can still get over 20mpg. highway you can get 28 to 29mpg. insurance obviously wont be cheaper than your mom's corrola but it isnt that bad because its not a big bad sports car. also, incase you didnt know, an acura is a honda. acura is hondas luxury division just as lexus is for toyota. same car, just different styling and nicer interior.

ProspectorJim
09-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex

i would never buy an eclipse anything. ever. they are girl cars period.

And a del sol isn't?:huh

250ex_dan
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
ANY other options.?

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
i would just get a truck,lol

i had an LT1 formula and its fun to drive around and smoke idiots who wanna race. but for a daily driver a sports car sucks,no room inside, bad gas mileage, cops hate you, and its HORRIBLE in winter

needless to say i just bought another truck:D

250ex_dan
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
what kind of truck would be a good one.?
in the range of 3000 $>?

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
im sure you could prolly get a good s10 for 3k. with the 4.3. good trucks

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
or maybe like this. ya its high mileage but who cares. its your first car. my first car was an 89 s10, spray painted red and blue. and the whole thing was about to fall apart, literally
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1931693732.html

CJM
09-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Thats a bit costly for 220k even where i live close to NYC. Id give them 1800 bucks.

You want a truck:
-Understand most have been abused decently, find a gem that wasnt a work or someones beater then your golden. Chevy or Ford is fine, lower miles the better, 4wd is better and you want the V8.

Ford Vs Chevy:
-Both are good, if your gonna buy either you want (older trucks) Ford the 351w (5.8L) V8 or Chevy 350 (5.7L) V8. The 302 (aka 5.0) Ford and 305 (5.0L) Chevy are imho worthless. They dont get better mpg by much (2-3mpg isnt worth it for much less power), and rev WAY to high cause thats where they make the power. Sadly most trucks will have the smaller engines. Not the end of the world if you find one you like tho.

Newer Fords (97+ all use the 5.4L V8, its ok but you MUST regularly check the oil as they tend to burn it up, otherwise they are good strong motors.

Older Fords did use the inline 6 cylinder (4.9L, 300 cubic inch). In this case what I said about wanting a V8 doesnt apply. This thing isnt super fast but has gobs of lowend torque and almost as much power as the 302 at much lower speeds. I love them and if you dont have to do insane hauling they will get the job done and are ok on gas. The new V6 (97+ sucks, dont bother). Find one of these, engine wont ever die unless you run it out of oil, even then it may keep on going lol. Chevy has 4.3L, it doesnt have near the power the inline 6 does, its ok but I wouldnt bother owning one.

Newer Chevy V8 come in so many different flavors its not important to go into, suffice to say if its newer than 98 then any of them will be ok, of course bigger is better.

2wd vs 4wd
-2wd imho is POINTLESS, I do not like 2wd, the only advantage it has over 4wd is less parts which means less things to break. HOWEVER: incapable offroad or even on dirt roads without the right tires, if it snows you might as well pack it in unelss you know how to drive a 2wd truck in snow (aint easy btw cause you have NO weight in your bed most of the time thus rearend slides like nuts). Go for 4wd, try and find a truck that has a MANUAL shifter for this. Push button 4wd is electronically actuated and thus prone to failure (specially chevy). you also want to find MANUAL hubs if possible (the kind you get out and turn to activate). They are less prone to failure and also dont keep your CV axles (chevy) fromt urning all the time thus wearing them out. While preferable, its not a huge deal breaker.

I think an F150 or Chevy/GMC 1500 would suit you fine. Both are well built trucks, I am biased towards Ford cause I feel they are built slightly better, but Chevy does have the 350 V8 which is sooooo easy to work on and has been around forever.

Either way, so long as you dont buy a dodge your find (shut up anyone who says they are ok, I keep telling you guys Im a mechanic and they break down more than anything else!, so dont even bother adding your 2 cents, there is a distinct reason why they sell cheap-they suck!)

Wanna know more, ask me.

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
CJM you seem like a car smart guy so ive got a question.

i had a firebird, and right before i sold it, it began starting wierd. i would turn the key, it would turn over slowly, then stop. and then start turning again and start up. didnt ever get it looked into because i was selling it anyways. but it didnt do it all the time, and when it did NOT do it, it would start like its got a brand new battery in it, started perfect.

well i sold it, bought a 2000 sierra just about 2 weeks ago, and holy fing hell its doing the same damn thing now! it started perfect for about the first week

i have a satellite radio that plugs into the cigarette lighter.it was in the bird, and i put in my truck.im thinking its draining the battery, or maybe since both cars are older the cig lighter is broke or something? iono. i dont wanna buy a new battery, because i think its just being drained or something. its just such a random problem to not be caused by something, and to happen on two cars in a row. and when it first did it, i unplugged the radio. but it still does it

CJM
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I doubt its the sat radio draining it, both cars have fairly high capacity batteries and you even unplugged it. Only other thing it can be (if its not what I describe below) is something is draining it, probably a short. But I doubt this, id be willing to bet bad battery. BUT GM has this really stupid security system, however it normally just makes the starter or fuel pump have no power rather than very little.

Before you do ANYTHING else do these simple tests:

try and start the car:

-if it doesnt turn over and makes a long series of clicks or has very little power is the batterys shot, the reason you often have no problem is it probably has a bad cell internally-simplest way to explain it is sometimes the battery works, sometimes it dont-kinda like someone flipped a lightswitch. Its bad btw if this occurs. Course it could be weak as well, but since I cant test it for ya lol.

-If you get one loud click its probably a starter. Try the windows, do they work at normal speeds? try starting it a few times, it may click again or it may start. Go locate the starter under the car (the cylinder mounted to the back of the engine usually on the bottom with wires running to it) and smash it with a hammer a bit, then go try and start the truck. it turns over you got a bad starter. it helps to have a friend keep trying to start it while you smash it with a hammer.

-Check your battery connections and clean them if needed with a wire brush and water and baking soda if they are bad replace the ends/wires, GM batteries (side terminals) are notorious for coming loose so check to make sure they are tight. Check all power and ground wires for a loose or corroded connection as well.

-With the key on the "on" position, roll one of the power windows down, take note of how fast it goes-seems like normal battery maybe fine-this isnt definitive however-if power is fine signs point to starter or a starter relay/solenoid.

-Also check battery, when nothings on its 12.5V for a good one, have it tested by autozone if you want. Also check the alternator output when running, should be around 14v.

-Fully charge the battery if you can or try to jump it from another truck (v8 preferable but anything might do just to see) and see what happens. See if it holds a charge overnight after letting the car run for an hour.

-Check the wires going to the starter, make sure the ground wires are ok and clean, check the starter itself if possible at a place like autozone (you gotta remove it btw)

-Either your battery or starter is taking a dump or there is a loose connection. If the battery is older than 2-3 years dump it anyways, most people never care for them and they are bad. Buy a good 5 year from sears or autozone or the likes (not walmart or pepboys please. I prefer ac delco but you cant buy one that easy, deka is a close 2nd, exides junk). You need a 78 series. May wish to buy the conversion terminals so you can use a top post battery too and rid yourself of the pos side terminal

I might be wrong since I cant physically see and test it, but those 2 items are probably what it might be. If everything checks out fine you may wish to scan the computer even if there is no check engine light on (if there is do this anyways to learn what the codes mean-they might be part of the problem). its also possible a sensor or the timings or or such, but I doubt it.

Good Luck

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
i have noticed the windows rolling alot slower. and it doesnt click that ive noticed. it just turns slowly. but only if it sits for like 3 hours or more. tonight i got off work and it BARELY started, for 2 or 3 seconds it didnt do anything, and then turned over and started up. but volts are right at 14 when its running

checked connections, tight and looks pretty clean

i guess i just had two cars in a row with a bad battery,not that its a big deal. but i was like "cool i wont have to by a new battery for my car" and now ill have to buy one anyway:mad: lol

CJM
09-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Yea, try the battery route first. Buy a quality one and see what happens.

Once you got a good battery in there and it still acts up I say the starter has a dead spot in it that your bypassing slowly when you crank it over. Its not uncommon on those trucks.

muddy400EX
09-11-2010, 11:53 PM
alright i just went to start it just to see how it starts. and now it doesnt even turn over it just clicks very fast

i hear the battery go "ruhh" and the clicking starts

did the battery completely crap out? im hopin its just the battery,lol

Hondamaster5505
09-12-2010, 08:08 AM
muddy400ex my LT1 is having the SAME exact problem right now.. haha.

Sometimes my car starts like there is NOTHING wrong with it, full power. Starts right up.

But fairly often, when I go to turn the key, the lights on the dash are dim, and the car makes a click noise, for a couple seconds when I try to start it, and then starts to turn over, very very slowly, and all of a sudden it fires over like it was jumped by another battery.

It's strange as hell and been bothering me.

CJM
09-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Like I said, either its a connection, the starter or the batterys junk.

Hondamaster5505
09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I actually think it might be a bad ground on the block. I might have to jack up the car and check it out. Clean it up and bolt it back on.

CJM
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I actually think it might be a bad ground on the block. I might have to jack up the car and check it out. Clean it up and bolt it back on.

Its very possible. Thats why in my other post I said to check all connections, the battery and starter.

muddy400EX
09-12-2010, 11:34 AM
muddy400ex my LT1 is having the SAME exact problem right now.. haha.

Sometimes my car starts like there is NOTHING wrong with it, full power. Starts right up.

But fairly often, when I go to turn the key, the lights on the dash are dim, and the car makes a click noise, for a couple seconds when I try to start it, and then starts to turn over, very very slowly, and all of a sudden it fires over like it was jumped by another battery.

It's strange as hell and been bothering me.

ya it drove me crazy. my formy never completly quit on me tho. my truck is dead now. wont even start. hopefully i can jump it:mad:

krt400ex
09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
And a del sol isn't?:huh

ha you havent seen the del sol's near me. no a properly built del sol is far from a chick car. an eclipse will never overcome that haha.

Hondamaster5505
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Well, I thought it was a bad ground, but its the battery. Most likely a bad cell as CJM said. When I hook another battery to my car it works fine.

I hate batteries. They're so expensive. I wish i could afford an optima red top and be done with it for a while.

CJM
09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
If you want your battery to last:
1. Check for corrosion and clean it off, baking soda and warm water mix and a stiff wire brush. Take off the connections when you clean them btw, dont just clean around them.

2. Never run anything for more than 10 mins without the car on, radio, a/c, lights, etc. If you have a system buy a better battery-plain jane ones just wont hold up. Optima, odyessy, exide orbital, gel cell is what you want.

3. Run the car, short trips the battery never fully recharges-stuff despite you shutting the car off (radio preset, alarm, computer settings) all drain the battery when the cars off. Shorter trips dont allow enough time to recharge it.

4. Dont buy cheap pos batteries like the ones they sell at walmart, most of pepboys, autozone, advanced, 002 auto, strauss, etc. You want something similar to diehard gold, a 4-6 year rated battery, cheap ones use cheaper materials usually-thus you get less life out of them

5. If possible check the water level of the battery. This only works on old style batteries with vent caps. WARNING: batteries contain sulfuric acid which is very caustic (READ: BURNS YOUR SKIN!) so its a good idea to at least wear your moms kitchen gloves. If the battery aint full of water, add some. distilled is best but any will do in a pinch so long as you dont have hard water. Fill to the bottom of the fill ports.

6. More cold cranking amps the better, the battery has more power to turn the engine over.

I have had the same exide pos battery (back when I was working for someone else) I yanked out of a wrecked car (car was maybe 2-3 years old at the time) in my toyota truck and it aint failed me yet despite sitting for months at a time since I had a work truck. It never failed to start the truck ever, I never ran it down to where it was very low and I never leave stuff on-its been 5 years since Ive had it lol.

Hondamaster5505
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you want your battery to last:
1. Check for corrosion and clean it off, baking soda and warm water mix and a stiff wire brush. Take off the connections when you clean them btw, dont just clean around them.

2. Never run anything for more than 10 mins without the car on, radio, a/c, lights, etc. If you have a system buy a better battery-plain jane ones just wont hold up. Optima, odyessy, exide orbital, gel cell is what you want.

3. Run the car, short trips the battery never fully recharges-stuff despite you shutting the car off (radio preset, alarm, computer settings) all drain the battery when the cars off. Shorter trips dont allow enough time to recharge it.

4. Dont buy cheap pos batteries like the ones they sell at walmart, most of pepboys, autozone, advanced, 002 auto, strauss, etc. You want something similar to diehard gold, a 4-6 year rated battery, cheap ones use cheaper materials usually-thus you get less life out of them

5. If possible check the water level of the battery. This only works on old style batteries with vent caps. WARNING: batteries contain sulfuric acid which is very caustic (READ: BURNS YOUR SKIN!) so its a good idea to at least wear your moms kitchen gloves. If the battery aint full of water, add some. distilled is best but any will do in a pinch so long as you dont have hard water. Fill to the bottom of the fill ports.

6. More cold cranking amps the better, the battery has more power to turn the engine over.

I have had the same exide pos battery (back when I was working for someone else) I yanked out of a wrecked car (car was maybe 2-3 years old at the time) in my toyota truck and it aint failed me yet despite sitting for months at a time since I had a work truck. It never failed to start the truck ever, I never ran it down to where it was very low and I never leave stuff on-its been 5 years since Ive had it lol.

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah I always get cheapo batteries, and being a poor high school student, sometimes used batteries. The one that went bad in my car now, was a gold series die hard. Was on a tractor for years and sat forever until I realized it worked in my car. Worked for like 2 months and now this.

I have a system also.

So im going to try to get a used one off a friend, temporarily, and then try and buy an optima red top. And a battery tender. haha.

Ruby Soho
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Or just buy a new one?

250ex_dan
09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I CANT
I WANT TO GO to colledge and i cant pay for a new car and college at the same time

CJM
09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I CANT
I WANT TO GO to colledge and i cant pay for a new car and college at the same time

Welcome to my life, I work and commute and have been doing so since I was 18 and Im 25 now.

I just dont fancy car payments (oh I could afford them if I wanted to) so i buy used junk and fix it, right now I got a 94 F250 HD I gotta redo alot of but it will be awesome when done.

Course, I do have a good job...

Pipeless416
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I CANT

pretty sure that wasn't directed towards you..

250ex_dan
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
pretty sure that wasn't directed towards you..

sorry guys..:(
everyone makes mistakes.
and to pipeless416,thanks for the correction.

muddy400EX
09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
i got a new battery and it starts great, glad it wasnt the starter or alternator!

just got an autozone one, but when i get my system im gonna get a yellowtop:cool:

Ruby Soho
09-13-2010, 06:55 AM
sorry guys..:(
everyone makes mistakes.
and to pipeless416,thanks for the correction.

Yeah it was towards hondamaster.

My bad, I don't own anything new either.

250ex_dan
09-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
Yeah it was towards hondamaster.

My bad, I don't own anything new either.

HAHALOL
me neither..
times are rought..

Hondamaster5505
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Or just buy a new one?

Yeah, that's what I said.

Used one from a friend, until I can afford a red top. (New)

I don't think I could have made that any clearer haha.

QuadParkour23
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
My first car I bought for $100 bucks. A 1992 Eagle Talon TSI with a broken timing belt. I honed the cylinders up nice, put low compression pistons in, new larger valves, high-velocity port & polish, full racing exhaust (except the muffler that kept the sound down), custom behind the headlight airbox with K&N filter, updated EFI settings, large trim and A/R turbo, new coil over shocks, and finally a clutch kit all costing about $3600. It got 24mpg in b2b traffic, and 19-20 while hauling @$$. I drifted that thing all over the place.

250ex_dan
09-13-2010, 04:34 PM
can you post pics.?

QuadParkour23
09-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I wish :( in 2006 a Frito Lay delivery truck rear ended me and totaled my whip. .......Stuck with a '98 Suburban now.

250ex_dan
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
that suxxs:(
did you sue the guy.?

QuadParkour23
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
yup, got my money, he lost his job + the ticket for following too close.

CJM
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Beneficial in the one respect, that tsi woulda eventually snapped the belt again and it probably had crank walk like they all do.

BTW:

Worked on a caddy today the guy thought the starter was bad, boosted it and bingo bad battery! Did exactly what you guys keep talking about with the starter cranking.

stuntin andy
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
civic eclipse's brake aaallloottt after you start putting mods into them.

i love my civic no matter what any one else says they are nice cars look good and are pretty damn quick for a 4cyl

just my .02 though

250ex_dan
09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
nice car
what was the price.?

Hondamaster5505
09-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
civic eclipse's brake aaallloottt after you start putting mods into them.

i love my civic no matter what any one else says they are nice cars look good and are pretty damn quick for a 4cyl

just my .02 though

That is one of the cleaner civics I have seen. Props.

I still don't consider them a sports car, sporty car, whatever. But they are a damn good, reliable economy car.

stuntin andy
09-18-2010, 05:23 PM
thanks yall it was 1600 but i gota buy a new bumper the one thats on it now is messed up...

Hondamaster5505 alot of civics look nice people just only notice the riced out ones heres another example

stuntin andy
09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
also alot of the people in the "tuner"world hate ricers even we make fun of them. A lot of these Honda's are under estimated the fast ones usually wont drive like idiots like a ricer would so they stay out of sight. heres a vid of a turbo civic that isent tuned....remember iisseennntt ttuunneedd lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8t0tud1Qh8

and thats still a single cam my friends not even dual over head cam lol

CJM
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
What happens on every single one of them cv axle cars is the axle just snaps once you put to much power to it. Even the cyro treated ones will snap sooner or later. AWD is even worse, like the tsi, etc.

Meanwhile the guy with the rwd V8 will not have that issue, all he needs is a traction bar or two and hes done.

Course, even better is turbo or not I bet a diesel truck or big V8 truck like a 6.0 chevy would walk all over that civic in the video.

Im not a fan of fwd, its pointless imho. Reason its so popular to mod is cause the cars themselves are cheap and 90% of them just look cool but aint fast.

Sorry, just my opinion.

stuntin andy
09-19-2010, 07:40 AM
im not goign to argue with your opinion but a lot of people think that a front wheel drive cant be fast but there are front wheel drives that keep up with rwd lol. there are even hondas running 6's like your pro stock cars

not a sermon just a thought :)

Pipeless416
09-19-2010, 10:40 AM
the major benefit that realistically affects most people when it comes to fwd is the ability to still use it in the snow without many problems. sure, rwd can be used.. i'll just say i am NOT looking forward to this coming winter.

Hondamaster5505
09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
the major benefit that realistically affects most people when it comes to fwd is the ability to still use it in the snow without many problems. sure, rwd can be used.. i'll just say i am NOT looking forward to this coming winter.

Amen. RWD + 245 performance tires = nightmare.

CJM
09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
im not goign to argue with your opinion but a lot of people think that a front wheel drive cant be fast but there are front wheel drives that keep up with rwd lol. there are even hondas running 6's like your pro stock cars

not a sermon just a thought :)

I do agree they can be fast, problem is they still aint reliable. Perfect case is at my local track, they had open track night and some guy had a done up to the hilt civic. he got 2 runs in and the cv snapped and as he put it "happens at least everytime I have it out" His car did pull 8s tho, I would love to see one pull 6 and not break a shaft.

Snow tires, buy real snow tires and use them-no issues.

ben300
09-20-2010, 08:20 AM

blizzak's man.....once you try them out, you'll never buy another snow tire ever again

beastlywarrior
09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
man go for a civic, reliable and you can make them cool

Hondamaster5505
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
The problem is I can barely afford to replace my already-bald tires, nevermind having new tires AND snow tires..:ermm:

CJM
09-20-2010, 07:33 PM
The problem is I can barely afford to replace my already-bald tires, nevermind having new tires AND snow tires..:ermm:

craigslist man. You never know what you can find on there. I scored an entire set of steel GM take offs with 80% tires for 100 bucks for my brothers pos buick the other day.

Hondamaster5505
09-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by CJM
craigslist man. You never know what you can find on there. I scored an entire set of steel GM take offs with 80% tires for 100 bucks for my brothers pos buick the other day.

Well, i've looking for just tires. (16" performance tires aren't the easiest to find)
Nothing.

And if I buy rims, I want to buy something nice looking. My stock swirlies are horrible. I want to save them for the winter and have a nice rim for the spring/summer/fall.

Hard to find 5x4.75 bolt pattern on craigslist.

I was lined up to buy a set of 16" 2000 SS rims, for 100, but the guy sold them to someone else after he said they were mine.:rolleyes:

stuntin andy
09-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Cjm look up worlds fastest sohc on youtube....ide put the link up but I'm on my phone so I can't =/....that guy must be doing somthing wrong because I have a buddy that's running 8 on stock cv's haha......lol

CJM
09-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Cjm look up worlds fastest sohc on youtube....ide put the link up but I'm on my phone so I can't =/....that guy must be doing somthing wrong because I have a buddy that's running 8 on stock cv's haha......lol

If you say so.. 8 seconds is VERY fast...so unles you show me a time slip I dont believe it.

stuntin andy
09-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Its a built b18c1 turbo nos runnin 25 lbs of boost lol...I don't have time slips but yah

Ruby Soho
09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
before i got my fords i drove my dads 2wd chevy 1500 reg cab long bed in the snow. no snow tires.

if you know how to drive, its not a problem.

Pipeless416
09-21-2010, 03:55 PM
before i got my fords i drove my dads 2wd chevy 1500 reg cab long bed in the snow. no snow tires.

disagree haha. my parents f150 is somehow still awesome in the snow even with 4wd turned off. even with a slight dusting, my car feels like a death trap. half the time i can't even get out of my level parking space without somebody pushing. :o

Pipeless416
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you say so.. 8 seconds is VERY fast...so unles you show me a time slip I dont believe it.

x2... its not very often that a fwd will even hit 8's, let alone on a stock drive train. 8 seconds is HAULING and that's a ton of stress.

stuntin andy
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
my bad yall he corrected me hes runnin 9.5s sorry for the mistake

CJM
09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
my bad yall he corrected me hes runnin 9.5s sorry for the mistake

That makes more sense.

stuntin andy
09-23-2010, 07:55 PM
yah my bad 9.5 was his fastest run sorry but thats still vvaarryy fast!

CJM
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
yah my bad 9.5 was his fastest run sorry but thats still vvaarryy fast!

Yes and no, it is indeed faster than many. But Ive worked on cars that needed NO turbo, all engine that can do better and weigh alot more.

Its a personal thing, while Im impressed it goes that fast, Im overall never impressed with civics. Now had it been a chevelle or something..then were talking.

Cool beans he got it to go that fast tho.

muddy400EX
09-25-2010, 12:16 AM

^totally different than a sports car man

pipeless and hondamaster both have firebirds. i just sold my formula, and it was HELL in snow. i got stuck in my freakin driveway!

while my dad has a 94 2wd chevy, and i get around awesome in it in the snow, no problems

i absolutely hated driving the bird in winter. it really feels like your about to die, barely any snow and your sliding everywhere. barely can make a turn without sliding into ditches,its crazy,lol

muddy400EX
09-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Yes and no, it is indeed faster than many. But Ive worked on cars that needed NO turbo, all engine that can do better and weigh alot more.

Its a personal thing, while Im impressed it goes that fast, Im overall never impressed with civics. Now had it been a chevelle or something..then were talking.

hell ya! you sayin that reminded me of this vid

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ew-nNuZkaIk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ew-nNuZkaIk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

nemo25
09-27-2010, 06:37 AM
I have a EG civic single cam vtech and I couldnt be happier. I just painted it honda champion white and getting a nice set of 15's SI rims. I prefer the clean look of civic over any of the wings, exhaust, and crazy decals. I put $20 in my car and always drive over 320 miles on it no problem. Performance isnt really there compared to owning a Evo 9 previously but I'm happy with it.

stuntin andy
09-27-2010, 08:31 AM
hondas dont need turbos its just a hhuuggee helper on the small 4cyl motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfmmZX3znEc

9 sec all motor....

stuntin andy
09-27-2010, 08:33 AM
nemo post a pict of your car i love them eg's!!

Ruby Soho
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by CJM

agreed, you could have a civic traveling the speed of sound and i could care less. i hate import cars with a passion. im with you, if its a muscle car then you have my attention

ProspectorJim
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
mk2 GTI. They look awesome with a bit of money into them.

CJM
09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
hondas dont need turbos its just a hhuuggee helper on the small 4cyl motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfmmZX3znEc

9 sec all motor....

so how long before his cv axle snaps?

lilwitting
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
haha for the people that say civics make no power type in turbo honda on youtube and be wowed see go for the honda cheap to build and you can smoke v8s all day with 10 psi:devil:

lilwitting
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
haha for the people that say civics make no power type in turbo honda on youtube and be wowed see go for the honda cheap to build and you can smoke v8s all day with 10 psi:devil:

CJM
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by lilwitting
haha for the people that say civics make no power type in turbo honda on youtube and be wowed see go for the honda cheap to build and you can smoke v8s all day with 10 psi:devil: and like I keep saying over and over and over. They get maybe half a dozen runs and snap the cv axle.

So what good is a turbo and 10 psi if it breaks down?

I see it happen all the time at my local strip, its rather funny.

stuntin andy
10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
idk where your local strip is because i rarely see people snap the cv's lol

CJM
10-03-2010, 09:24 AM
idk where your local strip is because i rarely see people snap the cv's lol

Englishtown racweway park. Once you get past 12 seconds it tends to happen alot.

stuntin andy
10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
imaha try to head that way one weekend

CJM
10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
imaha try to head that way one weekend

its quite a nice local track, all kidns of fun events and they have a quad/mx course.

fasterblaster09
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
here's my next "sell for profit" lol, just picked her up a few days ago, all I did was put the 17s on it to sell. I think I got a pretty good deal...

250ex_dan
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
nice.
what is the price

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I paid $1250 with factory rims, and traded the stocks plus $100 for these rims with my buddy. I have it for $2500 with the hood, roof, and trunk repainted, I know many will find hte price steep, but when the right person comes along thats a honda fan, they always sell. Thats why I like to find the hatchbacks and things like that. It has the d15z1 vtec-e, and no it's not fast nor do I think it is lol

250ex_dan
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
thats some good profit!LOL

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
yeh it's alright, the good thing is I get to enjoy different kind of vehicles, and get rid of them when the right buyer comes along

250ex_dan
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
yeh it's alright, the good thing is I get to enjoy different kind of vehicles, and get rid of them when the right buyer comes along
thats even better
what other cars have you had,and which was best.?

fasterblaster09
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I've had two civic coupes, two civic hatchbacks, 3 or 4 honda accords, and two del sols. I loved them all for the most part. I've had one eclipse, and though I only had one problem with it, wouldn't jump on the next one I seen. There are vehicles I dislike more than eclipses, but when comparing it to a civic, I much rather the civic personally. There are many other cars that I would choose over a civic right now, but beings young, and looking to go back to school, a civic is perfect. Both hatchbacks and honda accords I've had had over 300,000 miles on them and still run strong