PDA

View Full Version : CR500 Linkage - help

troybilt
08-29-2010, 03:29 PM
How did you remove the tiny circlips that hold the misalignment bearing where the shock mounts to the linkage? Having trouble finding something small enough to remove that. ...I'm trying to send to powder coaters tomorrow....

Thanks.

emullen
08-29-2010, 06:38 PM
a pic and or a small flat head. use one to hold the clip from spinning and the other to pry out the circlip like you would a piston pin circlip- you just dont have the little cutout window that you do on the piston

emullen
08-29-2010, 06:42 PM
also if you replace the bearings the one linkage hole ( I think that it may be the one you are asking about) has a stop in it and can not be pressed through from side to side. if the bearings are rusty in there they are a pain to get out even with a blind bearing puller.

troybilt
08-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Yeah, you're not kidding!! That one bearing with the stop in the center was a huge pain to remove. The bearings usually just shatter then I'm stuck trying remove just the outer race which is really thin.

I figure that was the case, all of my oring picks are too big... I need to go buy a set of smaller ones. There is hardly any room to get that circlip out. pizz poor design, imo.

emullen
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
LOL

I agree same thing, tried to put it in the freezer hoping that the bearing would contract a bit from the linkage. Ended up doing exactly what you said then just ran a lilittle bore cleaning wheel through it to clean up any gouges from chiseling it out. thinking back perhaps you should look at it and see if it is possible to remove / bore out the stop before you replace the bearings so when you go to replace them again you can just press them through, and/ or replace them often. Don't know if you could put a grease zerk on it or not.

troybilt
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I thought that too or drilling a relief to get to that circlip easier... or even finding a small snap ring that you can use snap ring pliers with... would be ton easier.

troybilt
09-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Going back together with my linkage. Now I'm not sure how this went together... LOL!!

Something doesn't look right. What bolt is used for the linkage to swingarm mount? Why does none of my bolts have grease zerk holes? How does the linkage bearings get greased, or did someone put this together wrong in the first place... Please help! pics, advise anything is much appreciated!!!! I've looked at the CR500 linkage schematics and still confused... LOL!!

troybilt
09-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Here is the schematic.

Looks like I need collars #32 for the lower mount, and but I have not idea what I need for bolt to mount to the swingarm. #38 in the picture, but the Laeger swingarm looks like it needs some sort of bushing on the oneside cause it is just a large thru hole... at least not makiing any sense to me...

troybilt
09-27-2010, 06:52 PM
This is what I mean when I say one hole is thru with no step for a bolt to tighten against. Is there some kind of bushing for the swingarm or a special bolt? I'm convinced it wasn't put together correctly the first time...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/Project%20Elsinore/DSCN0805.jpg

This is all the bolts I have left from taking apart the linkage... looks like I'm missing somethings...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/Project%20Elsinore/DSCN0800.jpg

emullen
09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
there is a collar that presses in there that is missing it must have been there before -perhaps you painter removed it.

matt250r21
09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Troy you need (2) of number 32 in that parts diagram, it is the same collars that are used in the wishbone linkage part that mounts to the frame. That is a diagram of 1991 CR500 right? 1991 is the year you want.

On the laegers swinger, you need an aluminum spacer that is a lite press fit into the swinger hole. I can post some pics if you need them.

As for a bolt to mount the linkage to the swinger, a stock TRX250R lower linkage bolt with the grease zerk works. Honda part # 90125-HB9-000

If you need any of these parts let me know, I have extras.

troybilt
09-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Yes, the diagram is a 91 CR500..

Matt, I do need them. 2x #32 collars, and the aluminum pressfit collar for the swingarm. Depending on the length of the aluminum collar I have an extra linkage bolt, with grease zerk on the end...

much appreciated.. my pc'der must have pressed the aluminum piece out.. I don't remember seeing anything like that! Or it fell out in the oven...

troybilt
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Troy you need (2) of number 32 in that parts diagram, it is the same collars that are used in the wishbone linkage part that mounts to the frame. That is a diagram of 1991 CR500 right? 1991 is the year you want.

On the laegers swinger, you need an aluminum spacer that is a lite press fit into the swinger hole. I can post some pics if you need them.

As for a bolt to mount the linkage to the swinger, a stock TRX250R lower linkage bolt with the grease zerk works. Honda part # 90125-HB9-000

If you need any of these parts let me know, I have extras.

Matt, do you have an extra aluminum collar that gets pressed into the swinger? I don't have one.

matt250r21
09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't have an extra aluminum collar for the Laeger swinger. But I have my CR link swinger off right now, I could measure the collar for you if you want. I'm sure you could make one if you have a lath handy.

troybilt
09-28-2010, 06:48 PM
If you don't mind, grab some measurements of it. I could get one made pretty easily...

Thanks,
Troy

matt250r21
09-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Troy,

Laeger swinger bushing

length 30mm

outside dia 25mm

inside dia 14mm