PDA

View Full Version : trx250ex hybrid?

novak8
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
i found a water-cooled yamaha xz550 v-twin motor for sale..it has everything needed to run but the only problem is that its shaft drive.

i planned on building a quick little drag quad for my senior project, but when i realized this motor was shaft drive, it kinda ruined my plans..

..until i thought of a 250ex, because they are also shaft drive.

i just wasnt sure if i would be able to get the motor to work with the 250ex swingarm..fitting it into the frame wont be a problem, just the fact of getting the final drive to work.

i just wanted some inside opinions before i buy the motor and find out that i have no way of using it..

( the reason im stuck on a shaft drive motor is because of the deal ill be getting..$75 for a 550cc v-twin, watercooled, carbs, and wiring..it just seems worth it)

born2ride14
08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Heres my opinion go buy the motor clean it up sell it an ebay or a motorcycle fourm take that money and buy a crf450. Motor for yor 400

deathman53
08-29-2010, 01:01 PM
putting a big motor in the crappy chassis is a huge waste and it will never handle right. There is alot more to an atv/dirtbike than the motor, the rest of the package has to be right also.

novak8
08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
i understand that..

the question i had was just trying to get the motor to work with the 250ex swingarm..the rest will come later

tayyo789
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
If it's purely for drag racing, you can make a rigid swingarm out of one, but you would probably be better off fabbing one off of a kfx700, because in my logic (Correct me if I'm wrong) i see a motor like that having too much power for the parts in the 250 rear end, whereas the 700 is built to take more of a beating.
I wouldn't suggest using the 250 frame either there is no way that v twin can fit in that little frame. It would be a really nice drag bike but it would take a lot of work

novak8
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
i think ive worked out a solution..but it IS gonna take alot of work, but im not to concerned about it. Ive got lots of time, and i have all the tools i need to get it done. my biggest concern now is getting the motor running..its having carb problems, but since ive never done any work with dual carbs, im kinda stuck for now

tayyo789
09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
make sure the carbs are set up the same since its a v twin, both cylinders should be exactly the same, so both carbs should be the same.

700xxmaniac
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
the 250ex engine just has a short drive shaft the the swing arm.... but the engine isnt connected the the swinger in any way but the shaft.... just gota extend the shaft... post some pic of ur progress

novak8
10-02-2010, 05:04 PM
ya once i get the motor up and running, i can start piecing it together...but these damn vacuum/fuel lines are confusing :ermm: