PDA

View Full Version : How to install Zerk fittings on A Arms..

NMills
08-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Well.. a while back i read about someone installing Zerk fittings on thier A Arms... I wanted to do that so i my A Arms would last longer... i don't want to have to deal with bearings and bushings every year.... and i hate squeaky bushings also... I'm taking them off soon to do the bushing and figured while i had it apart i'd do the zerk's as well... but I am not really sure where they should go.... anyone have and idea on this??? if so... can you let me know... thanks...

f4iracer
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
400ex bushings don't need greased on the a arms. people think they do but they don't.

some other makes that have zerts already installed use a different material. these bushings are fine without lubrication.

Pipeless416
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
400ex bushings don't need greased on the a arms. people think they do but they don't.

some other makes that have zerts already installed use a different material. these bushings are fine without lubrication.

thats the first time i have ever heard that:huh . grease will at least keep water and dust out and prevent squeaks..

hocman123
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
when i got mine the front end had vary squeaky bushings and toke them off then but neversize other then grease on all the bolts and have never made a sound since.

so yea i am quit sure u need the grease or lubricate them in someway unless maybe all u do is the race track and never see thick water and mud like mine

Honda#4
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
My take on this is grease maybe fine for lubrication but after riding in dirt for awhile it will stick to the grease and thats where the problem is. I never had a problem with the stock arms making any noise but where the shock mount is thats where is was squeeking for me.

f4iracer
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, these bushings are made out of a material that DOES NOT REQUIRE GREASE OR LUBE!

you can ask your local honda tech or dealer and they will tell you the same thing. Dont' grease these things just rinse them out if you think you've got something in there.

I recently had a cornstalk stuck in mine and it was causing it to squeek, i had to lossen the bolt to get it out haha.

CJM
08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
As a car mechanic whenever I assemble leaf springs (which have similar bushings and dont "require" grease either) I use never seize lubricant.

It doesnt pick up dirt like regular molybdenum grease does and is waterproof.