PDA

View Full Version : Shipping costs are getting out of hand

troybilt
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Its not worth selling crap anymore. I just basically hand the money over to the shipping companies... its ridiculous....

01shee
08-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes it is. I use usps for the most part. I like to ship priority but here as of late i have used parcel alot more.

croat1
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
troy: what did you ship and who did you use. selling and shipping stuff is def. waste of time now. with paypal fees and shipping costs it is almost better to keep the items. don't even mention the people that try to nickel and dime you for good/rare stuff.

croat1
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
do you have any contacts with anyone that owns their own business? might be a cheaper way to go since they most likely have an account set up with one of the shipping companies.

heres a good one for you...my laeger frames were shipped from california to ohio for $125 each using ups. came in a crate. before i bought these i was looking for a frame in/around ohio. everone i found the seller said they checked with the shipping companies and they wanted no less than 175 to ship

troybilt
08-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by croat1
do you have any contacts with anyone that owns their own business? might be a cheaper way to go since they most likely have an account set up with one of the shipping companies.

heres a good one for you...my laeger frames were shipped from california to ohio for $125 each using ups. came in a crate. before i bought these i was looking for a frame in/around ohio. everone i found the seller said they checked with the shipping companies and they wanted no less than 175 to ship

Joe, I know exactly what you mean. I checked into shipping my Laeger to Pappy for powder coating and it was 148 bucks, I had it all syran wrapped up and ready to go by.... Kansas to West Virginia, UPS... the local guy I used was 275 to powder coat it and I know its not as good of a job Pappy would have done. I just can't justify throwing that money away to shipping companies anymore.

I just sold a silencer for 30 bucks shipped, shipping cost me 22 bucks... not worth my time. I try to help people out, but geez. Why waste my time driving across town to sell something and maybe make 8 bucks... not worth it. I just shipped an IMS gas tank today from Kansas to NV and it was 46 bucks... its ridiculous. It was an almost brand new 4.0 gallon IMS that are like 225 new plus shipping... its just seems like lately, its not worth my time. I might as well have a $50,000 stock pile of parts than trying to sell stuff. I get nickle and dimed all the time. I understand but eventually nobody is going to sell stuff cause its not worth anymore.

Sorry for venting here, its just getting out of hand. I've tried USPS, but I live in a college town and the line at USPS is an hour long daily. They have a real problem here...

250Renvy
08-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by croat1

That price went up. I got mine for $70 shipped to michigan.

Don't forget about all the hassles with people who want stuff for free so they file chargebacks and claims and then return junk back to you.
A guy did that to me. It's amazing once you get scammed how you learn how easy it is to scam people.

Why can't people just be honest? I'm almost afraid to sell stuff these days because after shipping costs and the possibility of people filing claims and you having to pay shipping both ways and exchange you lose money.

Another example, I shipped a motor to a kid out west and UPS packaged it up and everything and I fully insured it. The motor arrived busted, like someone dropped it on the floor. I have to refund money because the kid wouldn't allow UPS to take it and inspect it and didn't keep the box. Just assumed I sold him junk.

troybilt
08-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I realize I can put the item price PLUS shipping, but then they always ask "how much to ship" then I have to drive across town and get a quote then come back and email that back to them, ... they may or may not go for it.... and I just wasted 30 minutes and 5 dollars in gas checking on shipping costs... I wish I had a list of shipping cost that we could go by and take some of the guess work out. I would have guessed a tank to ship would be 20 bucks or so, no not even close, 46... I've shipped plastic for less...

ebay is not worth it either...

troybilt
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
That price went up. I got mine for $70 shipped to michigan.

Don't forget about all the hassles with people who want stuff for free so they file chargebacks and claims and then return junk back to you.
A guy did that to me. It's amazing once you get scammed how you learn how easy it is to scam people.

Why can't people just be honest? I'm almost afraid to sell stuff these days because after shipping costs and the possibility of people filing claims and you having to pay shipping both ways and exchange you lose money.

Another example, I shipped a motor to a kid out west and UPS packaged it up and everything and I fully insured it. The motor arrived busted, like someone dropped it on the floor. I have to refund money because the kid wouldn't allow UPS to take it and inspect it and didn't keep the box. Just assumed I sold him junk.

I hear you... and it will be a sad day for us 250r gurus when guys like you and Joe say its enough and not sell anything anymore. You've all got more 250r parts than anyone I know!!!

250Renvy
08-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I hear you... and it will be a sad day for us 250r gurus when guys like you and Joe say its enough and not sell anything anymore. You've all got more 250r parts than anyone I know!!!

No, you guys will get lucky, because I won't sell every little piece one by one. I'll end up letting it go in one big lot - probably for cheap just so I don't have to deal with shipping and crooks.

Something to consider to save yourself the trips is to get a little scale and box stuff up at home and use the online shipping calculators. Works good for me.

08-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I ordered a frame, was very well packaged by the shipper, actually wrapped and protected on all corners, edges with 3-4 layers of cardboard, foam, ect…went UPS Ground.

Came in bent up, took pictures, called UPS, filled a claim, it was denied by UPS on the grounds the frame (TRX250R) was “oversize, not easily handled”, I am now in a dispute with UPS for the shipping insurance claim.

The shipper did nothing wrong, packaged carefully and protected better than I expected…

Even if insured, they can still deny the claim…go figure!

Carlos.

skyeryder
08-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm glad I'm no the only one that feels this way I have a garage full of parts of late.... Ebay, paypal and shippers oh my....

troybilt
08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
One thing I will say, is I really haven't had a problem with the buyers with the 250r stuff, that's not my beef... for the most part... 99% have been honest and not "scammers".

I haven't even tried ebay yet, I've been scared off by that worthless site.

honda250xrider
08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I mostly stick with Fedex, for me UPS has always been more expensive and i find the same quality in shipping from Fedex as i do in UPS, they are all going to throw around your packages, might as well pick the cheapest.

For shipping quotes UPS, Fedex, USPS have fairly quick quotes that they provide on websites. All you have to do is guesstimate the approx. size and it does a fairly decent job on getting an accurate price.

I do agree with you on selling items. Most of the time its just not worth your time unless its an item that is over $100. Paypal, ebay, and shipping costs eat most of your profit.

If i know i am looking at only making $10-$50 i usually just keep the item(which usually ends up in the trash) or give it away to a friend.

troybilt
08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
No, you guys will get lucky, because I won't sell every little piece one by one. I'll end up letting it go in one big lot - probably for cheap just so I don't have to deal with shipping and crooks.

Something to consider to save yourself the trips is to get a little scale and box stuff up at home and use the online shipping calculators. Works good for me.

What shipping calculator do you use? I tried the UPS one, and I measured and weighed a set of paddle tires and wheels. The calculator told me it was 36 to send to California, and when I went to UPS to ship them it was 62... I was irate, I told them the UPS calculator said it was 36... they played dumb.

schiavo250r
08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Your not kidding Just got raped on a Frame Over 150.00

red88r
08-28-2010, 07:15 PM
That's why anything I want to sell lately I take to swap meets. There is a big one coming up in Minnesota called "Hay Days". It used to be just mainly sled stuff but after going there for many years now there is a little of everything. It's 25 bucks for two days to get in and then 60 bucks for two 30ft x 30ft sites. Take a couple friends with and a trailer and make a weekend out of it. And you can actually see what you are buying in person.

yellowzo3
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Lots of good points in here. I've been using craigslist a lot more lately and just waiting for local buyers instead of going through the whole shipping hassle.

I was surprised the other day when it only cost me $10 to ship a package from NJ to Washington DC... But unfortunately that's the only "deal" I've gotten.

Like previously mentioned, it really doesn't pay to sell and ship items if you use paypal or ebay.. The fees just keep adding up.

Oh, and if you don't have a box on hand.. There's another $5-$10 depending on box size. And don't forget the packing material :mad:

No one's willing to pair fair prices for ANYTHING anymore either. Either you sell it for dirt cheap and they still think the price is high or it sits in your garage for all of eternity. :(

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
One thing I will say, is I really haven't had a problem with the buyers with the 250r stuff, that's not my beef... for the most part... 99% have been honest and not "scammers".

I haven't even tried ebay yet, I've been scared off by that worthless site.

I used to use ebay until I was sent used stuff claiming to be new and got screwed for the purchase price even through paypal. Only use ebay buying from legit powersellers that don't try to rip you off.

Try to use USPS for flate rate item boxes. Cheaper than UPS. I use UPS on larger items I want to get a signature for. Paypal seems to honor the buyer, not the seller.

When working with your freinds use Paypal and send payment as gift to not get taxed. JMO

250Renvy
08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Pumashine

When working with your freinds use Paypal and send payment as gift to not get taxed. JMO

There is no free paypal - either the sender or receiver pays it.

The only way you are not supposed to get any money taken off is when there is money in the paypal account, but that often still nets a 1% fee vs the 4% from credit card.

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
There is no free paypal - either the sender or receiver pays it.

Did it just get changed? I got payment without charge to either of us 2 weeks ago.

250Renvy
08-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Must have had money in the account. They also changed it so that you don't see the charge like they did before.

atvmxr
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
paypal is free if you use the personal tab and then select gift. been using that for most of this year. I even used it to pay for a $5000 quad - no fees...

I have no choice but to have stuff shipped to me, there are no parts for sale around here, not really any quads either. at least not for sale. the last 3 quads I bought came from Minn, FL, and NY...

I usually use FedEx or USPS to ship parts...

C41Xracer
08-30-2010, 04:56 AM
i have an account with fed ex and it makes a huge difference in shipping cost if you have it.

troybilt
08-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
i have an account with fed ex and it makes a huge difference in shipping cost if you have it.

Can anyone setup an account with FedEx or UPS? I've heard this saves you money, but I didn't know if you had to have it registered thru a business?

C41Xracer
08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
i dont have a buisness and i did it, go to the fed ex web site and the info is there

Honda 250r 001
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
I think it sometimes depends on where you ship from. But yes. Its a totaly raping these days. I believe when i bought my 250r frame from this website. I paid 250 shipped? or 300 i cant quite remember. But it costs 200 bucks to ship it to me. what a crock of ****!!!

Lasher
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I recently had to ship my frame (and other parts) to Walsh for a check up. I almost died when I went to the counter. Now, the box I used is just big enough for the frame (without sub frame) and I stuffed it full of the other parts. Total weight...82 pounds (roughly).

Walked up to the UPS counter, put the box on the scale and this was the conversation...

(Go over shipping address)...
Sales Lady - "How much is the value?"
Me - "5 grand" (actual cost to place parts new)
Sales Lady - " That will be $795"
Me - "Excuse me...."
Sales Lady - "Because of the insurance..." goes on about how to calculate it.

We talked about different options. Ended up shipping freight with 3 grand insurance for a little over $200.

The size of the box I used can be up to 120 lbs. So the weight was not the issue, it was the size.

Chino886
08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
FedEx is pretty reasonable for all big items, motors and frames can be shipped for under $100. You just have to be patient and cut and tape.;)

aztecgwynn
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I hear all of your situations and feel for all of you. I was a UPS employee for 9 years and I quit there on my own wife told me I didn't have to work there she makes the money in house. This is not a post to put UPS down or a disgruntled former employee I walked out on my own.
But when I first started there there was always a 53 foot trailer backed up into a door and was filled with what UPSers call irregs that means they are irregular size packages over 60LBS and over 5 feet long. They always grabbed the kid that was a troublemaker, slow unloader, or just someone that wassn't liked put in there. Well that individual was already pissed because he was at work but now he had to do this trailer so he would pick up big heavy boxes roll it, throw it , what ever he had to do get this thing out and by the way these people never got help too much payroll. Example one night I was walking thru hub and saw this kid in trailer grab this box that said Lunati on it. I knew it was heavy just by looking at grimace on his face and I also knew what that company Lunati sold cams, crankshafts and engine parts. Anyways next thing I see was this kid just dropped this box that was about 4 feet long and heard a pling anyone who has heard a crankshaft fall knows that sound I looked at kid and he didn't miss a beat just kept unloading.
Also harley frames I have see those thrown on a nightly basis but the company I was suprised with was Harley Davidson engine builder S&S engines those guys know how to pack motors I saw those crates dropped, dragged, and pushed and you never saw it on box that anything was done to it.
And for those of you who say this doesn't happen at Fed Ex think again I have a real good friend that still works there at this time and we would compare stories about our nights working at 2 rival companies and would sometimes laugh about stuff we saw and did and also sat there and couldn't believe we were watching and doing this to people stuff, no that you get older you realize the stuff you did in your youth and you say to yourself what an idiot you were.
Now one more thing anyone who reads this please don't put fragile on boxes 90% of people who work in that industry throw, punch, or kick boxes around, but now that they see fragile put some stink on that throw, punch, or kick.
Where was management while this was taking place well for me they were right there they would yell at us for doing that the first time but that was it I soon figured out when your shift starts at 10:30PM and ends at 2:30 they have a volume of 100,000 to unload in a 4 hour span.
To this day I use UPS to ship it is expensive but the service they offer is second to none the best advice I can tell someone that I do to this day is use a good box and use foam peanuts, old newspapers but pack that parcel the best you can and believe me nothing will happen to that item in box but a frame or motor that one will be tough except if you pack you motor like S&S motors shipped their engines. have a good night.

troybilt
08-31-2010, 07:01 AM
My next plan if I have to ship a frame is use Old Dominion freight or similar... I recieved a set of N-Fab nerfs for my truck which were like 8 feet long, and they had to come by freight. They were slower than molasses but the did a good job and even delivered to my doorstep. Most of the time you have to go to a hub to pick up the items... depends on the size and weight I guess. I know freight is cheaper, we ship stuff all the time and our shipping dept tells me its cheaper to throw items on a pallet and ship freight than box up and ship UPS. FWIW.

dlunn
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
I do allot of shipping at work and have sent a skid of seed across Canada (3000 km) LTL and it had only cost $2-$300. Thats for a half tonne skid or more. It takes a week to get there but it doesn't cost much.

Lasher
08-31-2010, 08:40 AM
After I packed my frame and stuff, I dropped the box on the concrete floor of the garage. My kid looked and me, expecting me to be nervous/pissed but I told him...

If this thing cannot take a 3 foot fall to the ground, it will never make to FL being shipped.

I worked at a shipping company (RPS) for a couple years and know all about how boxes get treated. Had to sort 1,000 packages an hour (min) onto 4 conveyor belts by zip code.

destey
09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
I have access to our shipping costs at work. I checked, and one machine we ship is 100lbs, in a box I'd estimate at 30"x25"x45 and we get charged anywhere from $18 to $30 from fedex to ship it in the 48 states. We ship 100-300 units per day, so volume discount applies. But yes, the little guy is getting ripped off big time.

destey
09-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by aztecgwynn

And for those of you who say this doesn't happen at Fed Ex think again I have a real good friend that still works there at this time and we would compare stories about our nights working at 2 rival companies and would sometimes laugh about stuff we saw and did and also sat there and couldn't believe we were watching and doing this to people stuff, no that you get older you realize the stuff you did in your youth and you say to yourself what an idiot you were.

If you've seen some of the returns our company has gotten over the years you'd know how terrible UPS and fedex treats the packages. Every week we get about 10-20 machines back that the box looks like it was dropped 100ft from a helicopter. A square box gets completely battered, looks like a round ball anywhere the cardboard is still intact.

Our packages machines pass a 5' drop test with flying colors and no damage by our testing department but some of the stuff I see come back looks like it rolled down the side of a mountain.

skippy1999
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
i take my frames to UPS terminal to reduce the cost. Pappy has powdered near close to 15 of my frames and i find it cheapest to go that route. the UPS stores are pricey.. and FEDEX is cheaper if you drop it off at the terminal, but none is close to me.. so UPS is it

mxduner
09-16-2010, 02:03 AM
has anyone tried using the grey hound bus? I believe they are just another govt. subsidy so were already paying for it anyway's. I knew someone that used it for a barbie jeep or something bigger like that, and i remember it was fairly cheap.

skippy1999
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
yes i have used it for fenders.. the prob is, it can only ride when there is space. but the price is right!

skippy1999
09-17-2010, 03:54 PM
OMG... im done w UPS. Just left the terminal. and $155.20 to ship an aftermarket frame. I almost went over the counter at the guy! From PA to KS~

I will no be driving an hour to the FEDEX terminal!

The fool was telling me now they are the same prices as the UPS stores at the terminal.. SCAM!

boycott UPS!!!!

badquad
09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
I feel all of you, double. Anything I need or buy, the cost for you guys is double for me. THe only time I get good prices for shipping is when I buy from you guys on this site. When I buy from stores, or shops in the lower 48 I never or hardly every get a good price on shipping. My living location prevents good shipping.:mad: