PDA

View Full Version : cutting out, misfiring, stalling, haven't changed a thing

440ex. ehhh!!
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Alright, so tonights racing was going alright, when i started it up to go out for heat 3, it bogged down without even giving it any throttle, i lightly gave it a few shots of gas to get it going and then it ran fine and lasted 5 laps which was like a minute something. Once it got to that point, it sputtered and it was as if the bike wasn't even running, although i had it pinned, and then it would fire again but sound like it was really bogged down, but i made it half way around the track to the exit and it just stalled on me at the gate, it then hesitated to start up again but it didn't do what it did before the heat.

Then in the finals, it was fine for a few laps and then did it again, but worse, i figured it was because it was over heating from being a gear lower, so i slowed right down, let off the throttle hopping it would level out and run normally but instead it just quit wouldn't let me restart it to finish the race. So then after everyone else finished their lap and a half or whatever i tryed starting it again and it didn't even fire once :confused: so i pushed it back into the pits and it literally started back up 30 seconds after quitting on me.

I need this fixed because next satruday is the Fair Championship, so last race of the season and i need this thing running.
a friend of mine their who races speedway now thought it might have been bad gas or somthing so he giving me some 113 octane to run next weekend and thinks it will clear it right out. btw the gas i had in it was brand new but its 89 octane i think, whatever the lowest at the pump is. bad idea with 11:1 im sure, so im gonna run highest pump for now on.

could it be the spark plug?

Sorry for such a long post, but i have read other posts and none have answered anything. And it just pisses me off because i haven't done a single thing to it since the last time i ran it other then throw a 1984 Honda 250r trike rear shock in the back to lower it.

Thanks in advance guys! Very Appreciated

Josh

I also have the finals race video taped and i will post it tm when i have time, right now its time to forget about it and go to bed. :blah:

slightlybent47
08-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Sounds like it could be several things so I’d check the fuel, and make sure it’s fresh and clean the tank and fuel filters both the one in the carb and the one in the tank. Clean the carb and take the plug out on the bottom of the float bole and clean it with carb cleaner. Spray it up in there and get the jets good, check the main jet and see if it fell out.
Change the spark plug and check the plug boot for damage. And I know it sounds crazy but there is a bundle of wires by the battery and it has a bunch of plug connectors in it. Check to see if there all plugged in tight. Mine was kind of acting like that and there was a plug that had a lose connection there. I plugged it in all the way and presto no more problem.

JOHNDOE83
08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Once I had a similar problem, it ran fine then suddenly popped alot and wouldnt go past 5 mph, and died a few times, it turned out the little screws for the needle and slide came out!!

But, you said it ran fine then acted up, then ran fine, then did it again? so if the screws came out, it wouldnt run fine after, it would just keep running weird?

Try cleanning the carb out, check oil level's, clean your air filter, check plug wire's, make sure fuel flow's freely out of the tank, then try to run it hard for a few minutes and see if it cleared up?

Also try to check engine temp if it acts up again?

beck125
08-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Check your plug wires, and the plug, if it ran fine on the same gas then it should be fine. If its not burning the fuel it will not run worth a crap, i ended up putting a piece of tin foil in my plug wire to finish the day out due to horrible connection to the plug.
Jordan

440ex. ehhh!!
08-28-2010, 06:25 PM
alright so today i ran all over the place trying to find a socket that would get the plug out, then i had to find a place that sold that spark plug.
From the plug i took out, i could tell two things, it was burning oil, and it was over heated. end of the plug was all whitish.
only thing is i didn't get to run as hard as last night because by the time i had done all this i had 30 mins to trailer up and get over to where i have to ride, so i got 10 mins of riding before i had to work.
ill run it again tm with 94 octane and see what happens.