PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 hotcam noise?

99400esex
08-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey guys. I still haven't finished the cam install due to school, work, and my stupid oil cooler tank being broken. My question is, does the stage 1 hotcam tick just as bad as the stage 3? Just curious because i've seen a few videos of it on youtube and id like to know before I get it back together. Thanks.

CarGuy7a
08-28-2010, 12:48 AM
All I know is it does tick louder than the stock cam.

I also heard that after you get the cam broken in you can revert back to the stock valve lash settings.

Hotcams recommend .005 intake and .006 exhaust. After you get it broke in you can go back to stock .004 intake and .005 exhaust. I think someone on here said they talked to Hotcams and they said going back to stock valve lash was ok after break in.

99400esex
08-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
All I know is it does tick louder than the stock cam.

I also heard that after you get the cam broken in you can revert back to the stock valve lash settings.

Hotcams recommend .005 intake and .006 exhaust. After you get it broke in you can go back to stock .004 intake and .005 exhaust. I think someone on here said they talked to Hotcams and they said going back to stock valve lash was ok after break in.

Cool, glad you mentioned that. I never heard anything about going back to the stock valve clearances

CJM
08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I cant remember the poster, but they said they went back to stock clearances and had no issues at all.

Mine is at the hotcam clearances, imho 1-2mm difference doesnt matter so much so long as its not really slapping the poo outta the valves-which it wont.

Looser clearances are WAY better than tighter.

CarGuy7a
08-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I cant remember the poster, but they said they went back to stock clearances and had no issues at all.

Mine is at the hotcam clearances, imho 1-2mm difference doesnt matter so much so long as its not really slapping the poo outta the valves-which it wont.

Looser clearances are WAY better than tighter.

You also have to remember. The more valve lash you have, the less lift you are getting from the cam and the worse it can run.

Yes 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch you may not notice. My buddy had a stock 05 400EX that the valve lash had never been set and it was way out. I'm talking like .007 and .008 if not more and it ran like crap. We set it back to .004 and .005 and it felt like a totally different quad. If you are within 1 or 2 thousandths you probably won't notice a difference in the way it runs, but if it's way out you will.

For the Hotcams going from .005 intake and .006 exhaust, to stock .004 intake and .005 exhaust you may not notice much on how it runs, but I have heard it helps cut down on some of the tick. I've personally have not had the chance to change mine back to stock clearances but I am going to try it. I'd say my cam is well broken in since it's been ran for a couple of years LOL.

I'll see if I can dig up that discussion in another thread on this topic.

EDIT: I found that thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=440754

99400esex
08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention dudes. After the cam is broke in I will change the valve lash back to the stock settings if I dont like the noise. Speaking of valves, anyone have any good feedback of aftermarket valves and springs? Im thinking about upgrading when I do the 416 kit this winter.

CJM
08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
You also have to remember. The more valve lash you have, the less lift you are getting from the cam and the worse it can run.

Yes 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch you may not notice. My buddy had a stock 05 400EX that the valve lash had never been set and it was way out. I'm talking like .007 and .008 if not more and it ran like crap. We set it back to .004 and .005 and it felt like a totally different quad. If you are within 1 or 2 thousandths you probably won't notice a difference in the way it runs, but if it's way out you will.

For the Hotcams going from .005 intake and .006 exhaust, to stock .004 intake and .005 exhaust you may not notice much on how it runs, but I have heard it helps cut down on some of the tick. I've personally have not had the chance to change mine back to stock clearances but I am going to try it. I'd say my cam is well broken in since it's been ran for a couple of years LOL.

I'll see if I can dig up that discussion in another thread on this topic.

EDIT: I found that thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=440754

Agreed. Your buddys was way to out and Im amazed it wasnt ticking so loud it was deafening lol.

honda400ex2003
08-28-2010, 04:12 PM
my stage 1 was def louder than my stage 2 is. i next time i do the clearances i may have to give this a try. steve

99400esex
08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
How much of a difference did u notice between stage 1 and 2 steve?

honda400ex2003
08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
power wise, quite a bit of mid range and top end but i also did my 450 carb at the same time as the stage 2. I still really like the stage 1 for the low end wheelie type power. it takes more work to play with the stage 2. steve

honda400ex2003
08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
power wise, quite a bit of mid range and top end but i also did my 450 carb at the same time as the stage 2. I still really like the stage 1 for the low end wheelie type power. it takes more work to play with the stage 2. steve

99400esex
08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Nice. I was looking for a good low and mid gain because the trails I ride are sometimes pretty tight. I rarely hit 5th so top end isn't a concern for me quite yet.

honda400ex2003
08-29-2010, 11:31 AM
you will enjoy the stage 1 then. :D steve

beck125
08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
just a quick question, if the stage one is low end, then will it alter the top mid end? or will it stay the same as oem?

99400esex
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Not sure if top end will remain the same or maybe some bit of a loss, I would tell you for sure but mine is not together yet.

CarGuy7a
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
As for the gains on the Stage 1 cam. You will have pretty much the same low end as with the stock cam, but you will have slightly more mid and top end grunt as compared to the stock cam. My buddy's quad has the stock cam, and mine has the stage 1. In a drag race we stay neck and neck until I hit 3rd and then I start pulling away. At the time of the drag race our quads were pretty much identical except for the cams. He is also the same height and weight as me so it was dead even.

Now with stage 2 and 3 cams, they are designed more for mid and top end power as compared to the Stage 1.

For your question about the valves and springs. You shouldn't need to change anything in that area from stock when running the Hotcams. The Hotcams do not require stiffer springs or upgraded rockers.