PDA

View Full Version : crank gear play???

way2fast4u_250R
08-27-2010, 05:49 PM
puting mi 88 250r botom end toghetr-thecrank on the right side spline ara has play-i put the gear on that drives the clutch basket gear & counter balnce gear and it has play oce i lock the screw & washer on the crank plines-gear moves left to right-i don't hink i forget any washers-
what is wrong?
tanks-paul

08-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Check the gear that slides on the crank shaft side of the clutch; it is the gear that drives the clutch basket. It is called the primary drive gear and is held in place by a bolt and spring washer. Depending on the model year, Honda made two different primary gears of different thicknessā€¦sounds like you have the thinner version.

I would bet this is your issue...

Carlos.

Pumashine
08-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by acecarlos
Depending on the model year, Honda made two different primary gears of different thicknessā€¦sounds like you have the thinner version.
Carlos.

And here I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Except it is actually the reverse problem. Twice now I have had to grind off 1/8" off the gear to allow the spring washer to hold it in place without bending too much.

Carlos, you are the man. Thanks for this insight because alot of us have no idea there were different thicknesses of this gear.

Paul, if you need a thicker gear, I will trade you one straight across for the thinner one, Tony.

08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Pumashine: Your the King of this board; keep up all the great work!

Paul: It happens to all of us; keep building!:)

86 Quad R
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
ah haaaa! preciate that lil tid bit puma... i didnt know this either. up to date i guess i've been lucky to not have run into this.

again, thanks :cool: