PDA

View Full Version : muffler packing?

tEXas400
08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
This most likely is a retarded question, but i see on Ebay, 2 stroke packing, and 4 stroke packing

is there really a difference, which one should i buy for my yoshimura?

honda400ex2003
08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
not sure if it is different but i think i have heard that it is. the 2 stroke stuff i have looked into is more of strand style where the 4 stroke stuff is more of a sheet from what i have found. maybe it is just how they send it or make it and it can be used either way. I would think that the 2 stroke stuff has to withstand oil saturation better than the 4 stroke stuff. I wouldnt run 2 stroke stuff even if it was alright. lol. i am going to try something other than the moose stuff next time i need it. I am not too happy with the performance of the moose stuff i got this last time. i think fmf or something will be better when i need it. steve

ridein'red7
08-27-2010, 06:39 PM
get fmf pillow packing

beags86
08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
not sure if it is different but i think i have heard that it is. the 2 stroke stuff i have looked into is more of strand style where the 4 stroke stuff is more of a sheet from what i have found. maybe it is just how they send it or make it and it can be used either way. I would think that the 2 stroke stuff has to withstand oil saturation better than the 4 stroke stuff. I wouldnt run 2 stroke stuff even if it was alright. lol. i am going to try something other than the moose stuff next time i need it. I am not too happy with the performance of the moose stuff i got this last time. i think fmf or something will be better when i need it. steve

pretty good guess steve, the 2 smoke packing is designed to hold more oil then the 4 stroke packing. there is a difference.
the 2 smoke packing is a courser strand then the 4 stroke stuff.

i was in a pinch when i had my 250r and learned this the hard way. the 4 stroke packing will not really hold up that long in a 2 smoke. but the 2 smoke packing "would" work in a 4 stroke. i have been told you wouldn't see optima performance from your pipe with it thou.

i now use the fmf packing, i have had the best luck with it- even in a non fmf pipe. good stuff.

honda400ex2003
08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
close for not knowing the slightest thing about the 2 different packings lol. steve

yama450yfz
08-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Use the FMF pink stuff it is for high heat and only cost about $3 more than the regular stuff well worth it imo.

spark plug
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
R-19.:)