PDA

View Full Version : 88 lincoln - need advise to get it started

sunco
08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
So I got this lincoln - trying to get it started, it has efi. I don't have many tools, not looking to take it to a shop just yet. If i need parts - i'm going to the junk yard for parts. The car turns over & it has gas :devil: it just wont run.

Kickstarts-suck
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
What model and what engine?

Need some more info.

fastredrider44
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Motor needs fuel, fire, and compression to run. Check in that order.:devil:

Tommy Warren
08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
is it a town car with a 5.0?

CJM
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
fuel, compression and spark.

So you know its getting fuel, are you sure its getting enough? Only way to know for sure is a fuel pressure gauge which you could buy at harbor freight.

You have no clue if its getting compression, so therefore you need a compression tester-HF again has one.

Spark is easy. Pull a sparkplug boot off a plug and put a screwdriver in it and place said screwdriver on soemthing metal and turn over engine watching for the spark to arc onto the metal. No spark means something in the ignition system is bad, could be the coil, could be the distrubter is out of time or not wired right, could be a bad rotor, could be many things.

Bottom line is if you dunno what your doing find someone who does who can help you or take it to a shop and ask for a diagnostic-usually 50-120 bucks and at least then they will tell you wtf is wrong.

250x_kyle
08-27-2010, 10:27 PM
if you turn the key on, but dont start it the fuel pump kicks on. listen to it and if it runs for more then a hand full of seconds the fuel pump is not pushing enough fuel to start. other then that like everyone else said spark and compression.

sunco
08-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Ok so thats great , I've got some things to look at. The car is parked where I leave my toyhauler (not at my house) Also it isn't insured or registered either, so if it went to a shop I'd have to pay for towing both ways. I have to look at it to see what motors in it. I'm gonna take all ur responses w/ me when I go to the car Sunday. The gas gauge says it has gas & all the power stuff works in it. I'll pour more in just to make sure. thanx & I'll get back to ya. :)

sunco
08-28-2010, 09:05 AM

sunco
08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
is it a town car with a 5.0?

Yea

wilkin250r
08-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Here's a real easy test. Get some starting fluid, spray it into the intake, and try to start it.

If it fires and runs for a few seconds, it means your problem is fuel-related. It runs off the starting fluid, but once all that burns off, it dies. It either isn't getting any fuel, or not getting enough.

If it DOESN'T start and run for a few seconds, then your problem is somewhere other than fuel. Either with spark, or compression.

400exrider707
08-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I used to drive an 83 lincoln continental to high school. It was my grandmothers car, and it's still in the family. It still has 53k original miles on it. The 302EFI in it was a pig though, those cars are HEAVY. But man it was the nicest riding vehicle I have ever been in, PERIOD. The highest mileage I ever averaged was 13.5. Ever. Was a cool car though. Hope you get that one running!

flyboy62
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
came across this old post I did. I tried to sell if for 700. No one wanted it and in the end I scraped it for 500... sorry but thats how it ended up. Then I went to the grocery store. Man the world is rough.