PDA

View Full Version : Frame clearance when bottomed out

Honda 250r 001
08-27-2010, 09:20 AM
How much clearance should be between the frame and the ground when your suspension is bottomed out. My frame has like 1 - 1 1/2 inches from the ground with no shocks on it. But i noticed when i bottom hard on the mx track. It actually toutches the ground. Not too hard but has started to rub the paint off. Bad? good? IS this suppose to happen on properly set up suspension?

atvmxr
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
a fully bottomed out suspension will drag on the ground - thus the "glide plates" aka full chasis skid plate

the extra drop from what you see to get to the ground could be from tire compression maybe?

actually now that I think about it, you may have something binding up. my OEM framed projects sit on the ground with no shocks...

Honda 250r 001
08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
No everything goes through travel good. no binding. I just have my rear shock set up for maximum travel. Yes the reason it hits the ground is because the tires compress.

Lasher
08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
In my conversation with Custom Axis, they mentioned that one of measurements I will have to take is the frame resting on a 2x4 on the ground. That extra 1 1/2 inches is for the tire compression, I believe they said.

troybilt
08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
In my conversation with Custom Axis, they mentioned that one of measurements I will have to take is the frame resting on a 2x4 on the ground. That extra 1 1/2 inches is for the tire compression, I believe they said.

X2

...and conversely, if any one cares, you set it up on 13.5" box to get the max down travel too. i.e. total of 12" of travel. ..at least that's how I set the shock length. Some of the 450r's are set with 13" of travel... but you get the idea...

dustin_j
08-27-2010, 12:42 PM
GT Thunder sets extended height at 12 off the ground.

Honda 250r 001: I was waiting for this thread after your previous thread wondering what travel you had after modifying your stock shock. I'd recommend measuring your parts beforehand to determine what your shock extended and compressed lengths SHOULD be before modifying the shock. Then you won't run into this issue, but it's easy enough to fix.

Make sure your tires are aired up, your camber and toe are set in the front, and remove shocks. Put frame on 2x4s (1.5 inch off the ground) and measure center to center between shock mounts. This is what your shocks should measure compressed. Measure shock shaft travel until metal to metal contact. If your shock compressed length is too short you will want to add an external spacer. Lasher is right, this is to compensate for tire flex. You never want your frame to be your bottom out; however, you want to get as close as possible to gain maximum travel.

Same deal with the front. If your frame is still 1.5" off the ground with shocks removed, check for ball-joint bind in the front (you may have to run less camber) and subframe contact in the rear. Hope this helps.

troybilt
08-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
GT Thunder sets extended height at 12 off the ground.

You're right I had it wrong, suspension is set for 10.5" of travel and 11.5" for desert.

https://www.houser-racing.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=Video_ShockMeasurment.htm