PDA

View Full Version : timing and cam help, I think???

Mustangous
08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Long story short, my friend needed to change his shifter shaft in his trans and he decided to not modify the rest of the engine. Any way he didnt mark things too well and the bike isnt starting. The bike turns over but as soon as you touch the throttle it stops, as if the timings off and the starter cant turn the motor over.

So I had him take things apart so i could check the timing. This is what i read and what i tried to do with the cam/timing. I spun the crank counter clockwise and aligned the t mark and aligned the cam gear with the 2 lines lined up with the cylinder head and the bolt with mark up. Then i made sure the cam lobes were facing down.

Some how he lost the plunger for the decomp so from what i read on here is its kind of not needed. Is that true?

Any way from setting up the timing as above its not starting and its acting how i described above.

Did I do something wrong, or any tip or help

Thank is advanced!

CJM
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Are you sure the carb is on tight to the boots, the battery is fully charged, cam chain is on tight, and the cam chain tensioner is still working?

Decomp isnt needed really, makes it easier to start but not by much.

hocman123
08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
umm i might be wrong but i think u need to install the cam with the loobs facing up not down fir u to have good timing

and if he lost the plunger for the decomp make sure he didn't put the spring in but other then that u will be fine might run a little louder

Mustangous
08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Are you sure the carb is on tight to the boots, the battery is fully charged, cam chain is on tight, and the cam chain tensioner is still working?

Decomp isnt needed really, makes it easier to start but not by much.
All is good, other than the tensioner. Just un bolted and put back on... Neither of us did anything else with it. What should i do with that? Chain is nice and tight...

Mustangous
08-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
umm i might be wrong but i think u need to install the cam with the loobs facing up not down fir u to have good timing

and if he lost the plunger for the decomp make sure he didn't put the spring in but other then that u will be fine might run a little louder Maybe your right, but I would thing with the lobes down would mean compression stroke and TDC. Lobes up would open the valves, right???

CJM
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
its lobes down, just checked manual.

if all of thats good I would still double check the carb boots to make sure the carbs on good just to be sure.

But honestly it sounds as if something in the engine itself is not put together right.

Your sure the engine is getting fuel and spark right?

hocman123
08-26-2010, 08:53 PM
thats right my bad was thinking cars that don't have rockers

umm by any chance do u have a timing key that u don't know about b/c i hear if u do the mark on the flywheel will be off and u need to find tdc the manual way

togup
08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
charge the battery

rocky_mtn_honda
08-27-2010, 07:25 PM
disclaimer : i could be mistaken but,

im pretty sure you need that plunger and spring if the cam still has the decompressor installed on it, otherwise i dont think it'll start at all.
please correct me if im wrong. just order one from honda...i had to when i bought my basketcase. or press the decompressor off the cam.

Mustangous
09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by rocky_mtn_honda

im pretty sure you need that plunger and spring if the cam still has the decompressor installed on it, otherwise i dont think it'll start at all.
please correct me if im wrong. just order one from honda...i had to when i bought my basketcase. or press the decompressor off the cam.
hes waiting for the the plunger to come in at honda...
Thanks for all the help... Let you guys know how i make out...

NacsMXer
09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by rocky_mtn_honda

That's absolutely the problem here....need the spring and plunger for the motor to start with the stock setup.

Mustangous
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
That's absolutely the problem here....need the spring and plunger for the motor to start with the stock setup. Nice, thanks for the confirmation.

MidnightBlade
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
so, without the spring and plunger it would just let all the comp out that hole? cause with a hotcam it dont have a decomp lobe.

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone! That was it. Once he put the plunger in started right up.

BUT, now that it started right up, the clutch dont work. He said he followed the directions in the manual to put it back together, but not good. SO the clutch stays engadged. Put it in gear and it lunges forward and stalls. When he tries to start it in gear with the clutch in, it acts like hes not pulling the clutch lever in and jumps forward.

He said he turned the arm on the case clockwise while putting the cover on so i dont know. We are going to take it a part again.

Any suggestions?

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
No sure if we found the problem, but the last (or first) clutch disk wasnt rotated, so putting it back together now to see if that was it...

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
well that wasnt it. Taking it back apart again...

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Just figured it out... He put a washer in the wrong spot. :rolleyes: Doesnt follow directions too well. lol