PDA

View Full Version : found my tranny fluid leak....i think

mrjwahl72
08-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok ive been having a leaky tranny for a bit now and i think i finally found it. i thought it was the seals or drain bolt. but i noticed that some was coming out by the chain kinda. my chain has popped off a few weeks ago and i just noticed theres a few gashes in front of the front sproket. I drove it and i noticed some was coming out of the gashes. there not that big. is there anyway to fix this? can i use jb weld? i just need a temporary fix for atm

slamdak8782
08-26-2010, 07:31 PM
jb weld will work just clean it out real good with denatured alcohol. works wonders

jcs003
08-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
jb weld will work just clean it out real good with denatured alcohol. works wonders

X2....i had the same damage and fixed it with jb-weld and it is still holding up.

mrjwahl72
08-28-2010, 10:15 PM
i took it for a 20 mile ride today, on some trails, its still leaking. I noticed some oil on the shifter seal. can it leak from there? im pretty sure it was oil didnt look like mud.

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by mrjwahl72
I noticed some oil on the shifter seal. can it leak from there?

The shift shaft seal can leak for a few resons. One is a damaged shift shaft. Another is that the part of the case that holds the seal is damaged or broken. If the seal is not put in unevenly it may leak. If the seal has been damaged it is easy to replace as the bike sits. If the case is damaged you have to take the shift shaft out to work on it.

Most of us address the problem when we do our next rebuild. Sometimes takes welding and machine work to get the problem fixed.

mrjwahl72
08-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Can I replace the seal? I noticed my seal was pulled out some so I pushed it back in place. Is it ok to drive with it leaky? I don't want to waste my money on a new clutch if ita just going to ruin it again .

trx250r 88
08-29-2010, 10:21 AM
i have seen people use black hose,installed over stifter shaft sqreezed between the gear shifter and shaft seal to stop the tranny leak there,might be a quick fix until next rebuid.

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by mrjwahl72
Can I replace the seal? I noticed my seal was pulled out some so I pushed it back in place. Is it ok to drive with it leaky? I don't want to waste my money on a new clutch if ita just going to ruin it again .

If it slid back with ease then it might need to be replaced. Try it and see if it still leaks. A new seal is only $3. Take the shifter off and clean the shift shaft. Pry off the old seal an put on a new one. I get them 10 at a time so I always have one when when doing matainience.

The seal is 14x24x6 Do not use service honda on this one. Their webpage is wrong.

Some people put a pan under the bike when not riding and top up the oil when going riding. It drives me crazy so I fix it before anything bad happens.

mrjwahl72
08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks ill try and replace it. so it leaks too when your not riding? wheres a good place to get a seal at?

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
The oil level is always above the shift shaft. Thats why it is so hard to use epoxy to fix that area. Epoxy does not stick to oil.
You can epoxy the chain area, it is above the oil level. Just have to clean it first.

I get my seals at a bearing shop or go OEM from the Bike Bandit or Cyclepartswarehouse. It cost more to ship than the seal costs. So get all your parts you think you will need when buying the seal.

If you just want the seal I can mail you one for cheap. Always want to help out the 250r bretheren the most economical way!

mrjwahl72
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
^ that would be good. pm me. Sorry if all these questions are stupid but, when i fill up my tranny with fluid i usually just take the check oil screw out and fill up until it starts to come out of there, or an i suppose to fill up more?. how do i know when my fluid is low? when i was riding yesterday i took my screw out to check and no oil was coming out. Im just nervous. i dont want my transmission to seize up on me.

Pumashine
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
The tranny takes about 3/4 of a quart of oil. If it leaks a little here and there you will be fine. But if you have not been riding for awhile and there is a big spot on the floor below the bike then top it off (fill to check bolt hole) before riding. I have been told not to overfill.

maryland450r
08-31-2010, 03:18 PM
I have a small leak at this seal too. Just noticed today. I'm going to inspect it more tonight and can hopefully just fix the problem with a new seal. Shaft and case looks perfect so far.