PDA

View Full Version : Question for computer guru's

lasher45
08-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I've been wanting to upgrade my computer (Dell Dimension E521 from 2008 or 2007). The first thing I wanted to do was put more RAM in. Currently it has just over 1gig, (Two 520mb cards). I'm looking to buy 4 gigs, 2 2gig cards. I'm pretty sure it has four slots inside the actual PC too.

My question is though, if I buy the 4 gigs can I combine them with my current RAM even if its a different brand? So I would have just over 5 gigs, 5,040 mb to be exact.

Second question is how much would a decent video card cost? I have an ATI that came with it, I think it was the best that model PC came with from the store at the time.

Does anyone have any sugestions on which brands to buy, or to stay away from.

Last question, do I have to upgrade anything else to use those to their full potential, ie motherboard...etc?

CJM
08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
The motherboard only supports so much, www.kingston.com should tell you exactly what you can use/need if you plug in your specs.

If you dont play video games on the pc, or do anything else but websirf and maybe watch movies then 1gb+ is more than enough.

Something else is holding you back, be it your processor/its speed, the gfx card, etc.

If you could list your computer specs it will help.

Honda#4
08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Is this a desktop or laptop? As far as mixing brands you can do it just make sure that the frequencies and timing is the same and also is the same amount of ram. For a video card it depends if you do alot of gaming if you don't then a $100-200 graphics card would ok.

Whats your processor speed and how big is your hard drive?

lasher45
08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Its a desktop. As far as the specs its impossible to tell right now. It has a virus and I have to re format it to run anything. I have to move all the pictures off before I do anything else. If I still can get them off.

I play video games a lot so that's why I wanted the upgrade. I'm not sure how to do the timing speed and frequncies? I'm pretty good with computers but not that good.

Is there any way I could look at the actual parts and get the specs? Or else I wouldn't be able to get them for a week or so.

Honda#4
08-26-2010, 07:05 PM
If you can go into the device manager that will list what kind of processor,video card,hard drive you have other than that I really dont know.

What kind of virus do you have?

CJM
08-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Right click my computer and select properties, will tell you exactly whats going on.

If the things old and outdated, all the ram in the world wont help.

Scottt89
08-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Depending on your Operating System, don't waste your money. A normal NON 64-bit version of windows will only read 4gb ram. So if you don't have a 64bit version of Windows, anything more wont be seen. Also as said, check your motherboard information to see how much it will handle. More than likely it may only be 2GB.

lasher45
08-27-2010, 07:42 AM
It is pretty out dated by now. Would it be easier just to purchase a new pc all together instead of ugrading my current one?

Honda#4
08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd buy a new one.

Scottt89
08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Here is what you are looking at based on your model:
Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
MAXIMUM MEMORY: 4096MB (4gb)
Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)
Standard Memory: 512MB removable
USB Support: 2.x Compliant [

Thru Crucial.com, you are looking @ $24 per 1GB. So if you keep your current setup and add 2-1GB sticks, you would have 3GB which should be more than enough for a normal user.

As for video cards, they can range from $30-$300. It all depends on what you want to do. Obviously your more expensive cards are for gamers and heavy intensive video apps.

What kind of Processor are you running. I see it came with the option of Athlon64 or 64x2. The x2 is Dual Core and should be fine with the upgrade in RAM. With an x2 already and a couple GB of RAM and maybe a $100 graphics card if you feel you really need it, you could escape for $300. Not too bad. A new PC that isn't a Walmart special E-Machine is going to cost you more than that. If you are just using this for Internet and basic usage, I wouldn't even worry about the card.

Ellingsoc26
08-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Well to give you the best info i need more from you. State what you plan to do with the computer like gaming or just web browsing. But to dump money into a 2 to 3 year old computer is kinda pointless unless u upgrade the motherboard and to do that in a pill of crap dell makes in a pain in the ***!

lasher45
08-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the stats.
Edit: I'm 99% positive I have the dual core. I just remember my grandfather telling me he bought all the best options that came with it.

But I plan on using it for gaming/editing hd videos and various things like that. The computer I have it pretty shot. I've always wanted to build a computer from scratch though. Has anyone done that? I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy and that's always interested me. Plus I can make it look anyway I want :D

Ellingsoc26
08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes for that i would just build a new one i can point you in the right direction to a few sites to buy parts or one that will build it for you even as i build computers for work all the time its not very hard once you do it a few times just have to get the right parts to make it all work

If you want to pick out ur own **** go to ibuypower.com they are easy to pick from and the price is pretty good. I have a laptop from them and not had anything go wrong and its been 2 1/2 years

Otherwise a good place to buy parts is newegg.com

Any questions just ask

HondaRacing83
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
this is very off topic but i think CJM,Should be a moderator....hes knows alot about almost everything lol