PDA

View Full Version : 2 Q's: Boil carb, really? CVT maintenance?

KDX Dad
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Is it really cool to boil the carb? valve body & thoat? Any input on this?

Also, other than cleaning the cover and filter, good spring and rollers, what else can I do to keep it running as well as it has been?

Thanks,

KDX Dad

fomospede
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
$ just my .02 :D

Coley'sdad#8
08-26-2010, 05:01 AM
(1) WHY on earth do you want to boil the carb???????
I have been building and jetting race carbs on cycles, autos, ski's ect since I was 12 and never had the need to boil a carb.

(2)Glad it didn't have any bad damage, with that kind of time on it you were having some blowby for sure, it was just time to rebuild.
Your pilot will be able to tell the power diff.

edwardsp&b
08-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Always make sure the rear clutch bell is greased and moving properly. You can take the bell apart, grease the pins and the slots, put it back together and make sure it moves smooth. I also hit the clutch pads with a little sandpaper and knock off the glaze.

Unless Im making c-12 soup, i dont think that i need to boil the carb. Ive never heard of anyone boiling a carb, thats like sending one of our newbie helpers next door to buy spark plugs for a diesel. Thats a great laugh everytime! LOL
bryan

TeamNeilson
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Oddly there are auto mechanics that do boil the carb to get the fuel glaze off.. I've heard this many times before..

I wouldn't think it would be really necessary for a mini carb that is run and maintained on a schedule. I'd also imagine the heat not being kind to such a small casing (in comparison to a 4bbl carb on a car)

As an aside. My local bike shop has an ultra-sonic cleaner which I do put my carbs in at the end of every year to get them prepped for winterizing. This ensures for me at least that all the fuel is completely removed from every possible venturi, the chemical he uses does not promote buildup and the carb is glistening when it comes out. oh and no heat at all, just ultra-sonic vibrations.. safe for rubber, and all that jazz

Coley'sdad#8
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Thats how I do it if needed, a really gummed up (been sitting)_ carb I will put in the ultrasonic circulating tank and let it clean but for regular maintenance good ole carb spray, air gun, piano wire and wire brush is all needed.

KDX Dad
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks toall for the input on the carb boil.

I actually read it on this board. Sounded a bit nutty to me as well. I've always just disassembled and sprayed the heck out of it.

Thanks much for the CVT tips as well.

KDX dad