PDA

View Full Version : importing laeger 250r from US to Canada

trx250rforlife
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
im just wondering what i need to have to make this happen thanks

dlunn
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
If its a leager frame it's not likely older than 15 years so you have to go through the RIV program. You can look up their website, but basically you will need to send customs all the appropriate paperwork 72 hours before you import it. It will also need some type of 17 digit VIN number or title. I brought my 88 across with only a bill of sale but it was over the 15 year age so it did not need to go through the RIV program. I would give Canada customs a call and they could explain it allot better. Hopefully you get a title with it or you'll run into issues trying to get it licensed.

trx250rforlife
08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
ya i braught my 86 across the border also with a bill of sale and the guy dosent have a title for it

250Renvy
08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
It's a crap shoot.

Technically you are not allowed to bring it across - I had trouble with that. Aftermarket frames will depend on the agent. Some see it as an atv and will have no problem, others will see it as an aftermarket frame - no matter what and will not allow it.

You won't have to go through the RIV because it doesn't matter the year of the frame, it's the model of the atv which is older than 15 years.

dlunn
08-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Your better off renting a space somewhere in the US to store and strip the quad and bring it back in pieces. Have the guy your buying it from right up a bill of sale for parts. I brought back some used parts last month and had no issues. Just payed the duty.

trx250rforlife
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
so they dont look at the year of the frame but the model kk thats good save some money the only hard thing is to find time to go get it

250Renvy
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
What kind of Laeger are you looking for?

Where are you located and what price are you looking at?

Roach250r
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I imported 3 frames from the US. Every time all I had was a paypal invoice. All three times they never even checked the vin number. They just want your taxes. Every border guard is different, some of them do not even know there own laws. What I would do is go to the border before you buy it and ask them. If they say it's ok then write down that border guards badge number, that way if you have a problem later on you can fall back on that. Also you might want to go the US customs and ask them. Any US vehicle also has to be cleared by the US customs too. Anything that does not have a vin number is tricky. They might think theres a lien on it or it's stolen. Like I said the best thing is to go down there and ask them in person.