PDA

View Full Version : understanding bearing carriers

mxpimp2000
08-25-2010, 06:02 PM
When buying a new carrier why do companies such as lonestar say "features sealed bearings that do not need to be greased" and "They are completely sealed and pre-greased so you can just install and ride"

I have always thought you had to keep the carriers pack full with grease so when i would pull my axle out i would put a hand full of grease or as much as i could fit. Now iam wondering if this was a waste or if it caused any problems i have had.

I recently pulled my axle out just to put new grease in my carrier and 1 race after they started popping and clicking. The next race i was pulling off the track on 3rd lap with a blown carrier

wilkin250r
08-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I can't possibly see extra grease being a problem.

brian 68
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
not sure what quad you have , but there are two basic kinds of bearings tapered which require grease . and standard ones(forget the name) but they can have two side by side, at least on the sprocket side. they can be sealed so no grease is needed (newer style) or have a seal on each side .like the tappered and older styles do sealed bearings have a seal on each side of each individual bearing. if you over tighten either style they won't last.

mxpimp2000
08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
dual row ball bearings are sealed and have the dust seals on each side of the carrier. tapered bearings require more maintence and grease because thats what the car/trucks wheel bearings are. Im just wondering if me adding extra grease is a pointless matter or if it even helps it.

Scro
08-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
dual row ball bearings are sealed and have the dust seals on each side of the carrier. tapered bearings require more maintence and grease because thats what the car/trucks wheel bearings are. Im just wondering if me adding extra grease is a pointless matter or if it even helps it.

If you are adding grease by hand, there's no way to put too much. However, if you are adding it through the grease zerk, you can put too much. You should stop when you feel the slightest pressure in the handle. If you keep going, you can blow the seal out of the bearing itself.