PDA

View Full Version : 2004 honda 400ex not shifting into third

foxracer 414
08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
hey everyone i have a 2004 honda 400ex that has so shifting problems and i can't figure the problem out. when i shift from second to third it just wont go into third gear it slips in and out of third gear and every time i do this it seems like it goes into neutral i have changed my shifted forks and still no third gear so if anyone knows whats going on please let me know...

rocky_mtn_honda
08-25-2010, 08:30 PM
sounds like either a clutch or more than likely the inner cogs that engage each gear are chipped...this seems to be common lately.
i have a couple spare complete trannys if your interested. ill pm you.

foxracer 414
08-26-2010, 09:08 AM
WELL I HAVE TOOK THE WHOLE MOTOR APART AND INSPECTED THOSE GEARS AND THEY LOOK FIND THEY ARE NOT WORN AT ALL SO I CHANGED MY SHIFT FORKS THINKING THAT WAS IT AND STILL DONT HAVE THIRD GEAR I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Ntensweapon
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
The dogs on the gear are actually the business end of the transmission. The "teeth" do little work. I suspect that a dog has the corner rolled off of it. Allowing it to slip in and out of gear. Sounds like you'll be splitting cases again. I would inspect every gear and change out not only 3rd gear but any adjoining gears minimum.

rocky_mtn_honda
08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ntensweapon
The dogs on the gear are actually the business end of the transmission. The "teeth" do little work. I suspect that a dog has the corner rolled off of it. Allowing it to slip in and out of gear. Sounds like you'll be splitting cases again. I would inspect every gear and change out not only 3rd gear but any adjoining gears minimum.

x2 :p thats what i meant...lol anyhow, let me know if you find any chips, i have two trannys looking for a new home.

fox, check your private messages...