PDA

View Full Version : kickstart conversion wiring help

mayno323
08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Ive read lots about the coversion on this site. I have it installled and everthing is great. My question is, with the battery off and most the not needed wires removed do i need to put a kickstart wiring harness on it? My quad seems to always cut out, miss, pop, mostley on top end. Then If I put a new cdi on it seems to run great for a bit then start in again. Do i need the kickstart voltage regulator? I've jetted from 170 to 190 no difference. put a new plug in the other day and it ran great for 1 and 1/2 motos. It starts first kick everytime and idles great. Just looking for suggestions before I start blowing money. Thanks

RobRacing
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I checked the fiche and both wiring harnesses for the R and ER are the same so you are not missing any wires. The machine only needs the basic wiring to make it run. Maybe check the cam timing if you are retarded or advanced it will make the machine run bad. Your coil could possibly be going bad or your stator. If you have a service manual you should run the tests to make sure these are functioning properly.

DnB_racing
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
why did you put a 190 jet in for? that is way to big put the 170 back in and go down from there. the cutting out on top end is a jetting issue

hrc450er
08-26-2010, 07:12 AM
the main jet controlls the top end thats why he was messing with the jet. i made the swithc and didnt use the voltage regulater and i havent had a problem yet. i would start with the coil and wire 170 is probably where your main needs to be. did you cut off the excess wires if so did you tape em up or seal them off maybe water or cut wires touching may be your problem also

DnB_racing
08-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by hrc450er
the main jet controlls the top end thats why he was messing with the jet. i made the swithc and didnt use the voltage regulater and i havent had a problem yet. i would start with the coil and wire 170 is probably where your main needs to be. did you cut off the excess wires if so did you tape em up or seal them off maybe water or cut wires touching may be your problem also I know that the top end is the main but I was wondering why he changed the jet in the first place? if any mods were made to cause it to need that big of a jet.a 170 main is big for a mildly modified quad, you probably only need around a 165 main
did the quad run fine before the wiring change? if so then its not jetting, as stated above if all you did was electrical and kicker then it must be the wires or your connections. did you solider and heat shrink seal all connections?

simon7
09-11-2010, 08:19 AM
The wireing is the same mostly from R to ER but the 04-05 have a condencer and that does not come on a ER I have instaled this on ER Kicker bikes mostly for better starting but I don't think that is your problem have you checked your stator follow the service book and test your stator sounds like your problem.
JS Performance ATV inc. 941 876-3663