PDA

View Full Version : just an interesting pipe pic

08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
I was out in my garage tonight and decided to snap a pic of a couple pipes I have. The one on the left in a Curtis Sparks MX pipe. The one on the right is an ESR TRX6 pipe. I just think it's interesting to compare two low-mid pipes made by two different companies side by side.

http://i38.tinypic.com/wu1zr.jpg

1promodfan
08-24-2010, 08:59 PM
You can definatly see the difference between the two.

CorvetteZ06
08-24-2010, 10:49 PM
8686- have you run both pipes back to back on your R? How does the old curtis sparks mx pipe stack up against ESR's "newer" low-end pipe? I do know that sparks pipes, (as well as jugs) are legendary. I can remember years ago, Paul turner, (travis spaders mechanic) lived in my town, and I would go by to see spaders Duncan 250R's and his TT banshees, and even Turner would tell me how amazingly fast sparks motors were over anything else.

jcs003
08-25-2010, 01:43 AM
they dont look much different to me. with the exception of the connection.

86 Quad R
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
You can definatly see the difference between the two.

..... and the similarities. :cool:

derby
08-25-2010, 10:18 AM
The esr pipe puts out more low end than the curtis sparks mx pipe. The curtis sparks is more midrange. I took my curtis sparks mx pipe off and am using the trx 6 now for dune trail riding. That is on a stock cylinder motor no porting or head work.

mxduner
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
my eyes see the esr has a longer stinger, larger head pipe section... if that is not a shadow i see, and i larger diameter expansion chamber, but shorter. feel free to correct me if you see anything different.

wilkin250r
08-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
my eyes see the esr has a longer stinger, larger head pipe section... if that is not a shadow i see, and i larger diameter expansion chamber, but shorter. feel free to correct me if you see anything different.

It looks to me like the ESR pipe begins to diverge a little earlier, which makes sense with derby saying the ESR has a little more low-end.

The "shorter" expansion chamber is because the Sparks pipe stop diverging right about where it's springs end. The ESR pipe (although it doesn't have springs in the same location) keeps diverging for another few inches, which is why it's wider than the Sparks pipe. Up until that point, they are very similar.

Since the ESR pipe is much wider at this point, you have to start the divergent section earlier to enable it to get down to the proper diameter. If you start it late, and cut the angle too much, you loose width on your powerband.

I think the stinger section is just because of the angle it's sitting at.