PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Water killing 90 DRX/H20

KDX Dad
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum. Did a search on water killing the motor and mostly found intake solutions. I'm not worried about the in take as we are running the snorkle set up.

Snorkle tube (carb too) is dry and clean after dying from hitting standing water (deep) fast. My son has DNF'ed on two races so far due to this problem.

Today I ran the motor spraying the head, carb, plug (using NGK plug boot), oil injector plate, intake housing, all with no issue or stutter.

Tonight I pulled the carb and intake and found that the reed cage and reeds we coated with a gray, oil/water mix. Please confirm if this might be my problem or please offer any other things I may want to chase down.

I do change the tranny oil every 2 or so races (will need to bump that up). It's a pretty stock bike, my son races hare scrambles in up state NY, latest race had nearly 3 inches of rain throughout the day.

Any advice would greatly apprieciated.

KDX Dad

joe0718
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I had a coil go bad. It would break up when you misted it with water. You never saw it arcing out but it would clear up when it dried out.

KDX Dad
08-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks Joe,

I have a spare. good idea, I'll swap it out. I did hit that as well with the hose as well but who knows if thats as good as hitting 8" of standing water at speed.

KDX Dad.

jerkyboy
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
What kind of snorkle are you talking about?

KDX Dad
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
It's the stock DRR carb snorkle that came on 08's and newer. 3" right angle snorkle that mounts the air filter way up under the plastics.

jerkyboy
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
My opinion is your sucking water threw the air cleaner.
If he hits 8" of water at maybee 30+ mph a good amount of water gets sprayed up under the plastics and if hes wide open
that carb is sucking that spray into the motor. When you used the hose to get everything wet the motor was at idle. In the classified section there is a intake with a air box that goes under the seat for sale.

Just my .02

KDX Dad
08-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Jerkyboy, thanks for the .02!

Definately water getting in is the problem, again I've never seen the gray stuff all over the crank before, sort of freaked me out.

Always when I pulled the carb and check the reeds the bottom end (what I could see) seemed totally good.

I guess there is no other way it can get in.

Any idea on how I should clean up the water/oil mix in the crank case?

Thanks,

KDX Dad

zach R 7x
08-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Hetricks makes a snorkle for this problem and works very well.

My .02 is you will be roasting motors running in water like that, not even the Hetrick snorkal will 100% stop water comming in when you are running in that much water.

The stater will be another issue, if that water gets that stater wet or even damp you will loose spark sooner or later. ZTR has a nice cover that replaces the gray one that attach's to the water pump ,but even it is not fool proof. We have one on our quad and I still get water and mud in there every once in while.

The bottom line is these quads are not designed to run in water like what you have described. just my .02

Good luck ,

Tim

KDX Dad
08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks Tim,

I've seen the Hetrick set up. Has anyone ran this with an ATV4play steering stem support? I'm concerned that it won't fit with the steering support in place.

The stator place is sealed very tight. I blasted this with hose straight on, full blast. No issue.

Totally agree on the water, I don't know what it was that he hit but he said it was up to the top of the tires, which isn't uncommon up here.

Thinking I'm def going to adjust my advice, sliding back on the seat and pinning it might not have been the best advice, lol. But Dad races on two wheels and that works well on the bike.

Thanks again Tim. Any ideas on cleaning out the crankcase of the water/oil mix without a complete tear down?

KDX Dad