PDA

View Full Version : Z vs. EX

ex kid
02-05-2003, 02:41 PM
i'm lookin at a new quad and like the Z and the 400ex. tough choice. is the z really alot faster? how ido they handle? and how the suspension tranny and reliability on both quads?

luvmyex
02-05-2003, 03:03 PM
The z is faster.My buddy smokes me on my ex.But not once i finish my rebuild:D But anyhow,I think the the Z is kinda tippy and dont handle as good as the EX.My buddy had a ex and went to a Z and ive seen him wreck the Z alot more than he ever did the EX.He has also bent the axle,broke the frame(got it replaced)and broke it again,had all kinds of trouble with the chain adjustment bolts,and a couple other small problems.THe Z feels tippy to me also.Some will say it handles just as good as a EX but i dont think so.If it was me,i'd get the EX.May be a little slower in a drag but im all over him in the woods,and didnt used to be when he had the EX.

QuadTrix6
02-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
The z is faster.My buddy smokes me on my ex.But not once i finish my rebuild:D But anyhow,I think the the Z is kinda tippy and dont handle as good as the EX.My buddy had a ex and went to a Z and ive seen him wreck the Z alot more than he ever did the EX.He has also bent the axle,broke the frame(got it replaced)and broke it again,had all kinds of trouble with the chain adjustment bolts,and a couple other small problems.THe Z feels tippy to me also.Some will say it handles just as good as a EX but i dont think so.If it was me,i'd get the EX.May be a little slower in a drag but im all over him in the woods,and didnt used to be when he had the EX.

you make some good points

Mity Mo
02-05-2003, 05:04 PM
To make either bike a real racer you are gonna have to invest in aftermarket parts. But money spent vs. money spent. The Z will win hands down. You can make an EX as fast as the Z but it will take more money to do it. The Z will be naturally faster because it is liquid cooled. That makes all the difference. Mo:cool:

racerx573
02-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Put a Z motor in an EX chassis...;)

indygncc
02-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Mo- You make sense on the engine part but I would have to disagree and say that the EX would be alot cheaper to race simply because the cost of parts for the EX are 1/2 the price of Z parts. Frame for an EX-around 500 Frame for Z around 1400. All that stuff adds up.

Mity Mo
02-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah but give it 6 months and the prices will be dead even. The EX is a dying breed. Mo

indygncc
02-05-2003, 05:28 PM
agree 100%

QuadTrix6
02-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
Yeah but give it 6 months and the prices will be dead even. The EX is a dying breed. Mo

i disagree mo :macho

250x#93
02-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Go with the EX it is a HONDA:devil

rookiex
02-05-2003, 05:41 PM
man it makes me so sad to hear the ex is a dyeing bread...:( ...what are we gonna do when we started getting crushed and the EX is just like a banshee..:(

honda400exrider
02-05-2003, 05:53 PM
i rode a few z's and do not like them any better than my ex... i admit that they are a little faster, and have a little bit bigger balls, but they have a REAL high center of gravity, and they are tippy. also i think the exs look better, and it seems like they handle better, but probaly just cause u feel more "tucked in" with the bike. riding a z is almost like riding a small truck theyre so high, and the seat is a real wierd shape which i dislike also... but the liquid cooling is definitely something the ex could use, and doesnt have...

lol
02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
The axle sucks on the z. but hey, no offense, but u came on an ex website to see which is better an ex or a z. sheesh:rolleyes:

raptor_02
02-06-2003, 01:06 PM
the Z may be a little better because of the liquid cooling and it is capable of a little more HP but its not enough to make me trade my ex for one. Cannondale, CRF, or YZF would be the only thing to make me want to get rid of my EX. It has decent power and I couldn't ask for a better quad as far as reliability. It's been a great quad so far and I plan on making some noise at the NATIONALS on my dieing breed EX!

TravEX
02-06-2003, 01:27 PM
i've rode a KFX400, and i agree with the others about it feeling too tippy, to me it feels that the foot pegs are 2" to high, it was almost uncomfortable the postion my knees were in,,,i'm happy with my EX and would choose it easily over a Z/KFX,,,

zroost
02-06-2003, 01:58 PM
I own the Z and it is a great machine in my opion. As for the Ex it is a well proven machine without a doubt. My friend rides an Ex 400 and when we switch up I love to ride it as well. Its like evrything else, to each their own. I picked the z for a couple of reasons. Liquid cooled, reverse, and is faster in stock form and the motor has been proven for years like the EX...Just one riders opinion......

ROGERS
02-06-2003, 04:50 PM
I would get a Gas-Gas. Race ready with a brand new two stroke.

I sat on a Predator and it didn't feel right but if you want power and good stock suspension get one. With a pipe and K&N you are around 50hp!!

-Josh

NTPRacing#19
02-07-2003, 07:14 PM
let me slap a crf450 in that 400ex frame and you problems will be solved with every quad debate on which one is better :devil

Martin Blair
02-07-2003, 10:49 PM
I doubt the ex is dying, the 400 is still the most popular sport quad on the market, and parts will be cheaper becuase of that.

Mity Mo
02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Just because the Ex is a popular seller doesnt mean for race use its the best. Its great for C or B class. But to up front in the A class you got to have some serious work done to it. Where as the Z is doing well out front. Mo

stupid driver
02-10-2003, 01:25 PM
but u put a pipe and some other minor mods on the ex, and it beats the z . and think about it. you can get the ex for 48 right now, the z is around 5600 still. you put that 8oo saved buks into mods, and you will have a dam fast quad. but the z still does kik butt

spincr4hire
02-10-2003, 02:15 PM
If you shop around, and buy out of state, you can get a Z for under 5k, I got mine with a 4 year warranty for $5300, OTD.
I paid $5100 for my EX 2 years ago, no extended warranty.