PDA

View Full Version : Starting to powdercoat

IRISH-RACER-14
08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
so i got an electric oven for p/c. where can i get a cheap gun thats easy to use? do i have to sand blast before i pc? i know the quality would not be as good but i dont want to pay the guy $$ cause im cheap lol

NacsMXer
08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Check out Eastwood's guns and kits: http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating/powder-coat-guns.html

IRONFLIGHT2
08-24-2010, 01:59 PM
PRETTY SURE I STILL HAVE A PC GUN LAYING AROUNG IN MY GARAGE SOMEWHERE THAT I COULD SELL PRETTY CHEAP I NEVER REALLY USED IT MUCH BC I DIDNT HAVE A BIG ENOUGH OVEN TO DO WHAT I WANTED.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
i would love to turn a small bussiness out of this. probaly will buy new. did you have to sandblast before pc and how was ur finished quality

toby400ex
08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Just do the sandblasting yourself......Cabinets and what not can get expensive but a tank and blasting fun arent all that pricey.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
how much are we talking here? i only want to be able to pc a small few parts on my quad. is a sand blasting kit necessary?

bbender85
08-24-2010, 08:32 PM
i've had a few things PC'd lately, some sandblasted first, some not (just wire wheeled and cleaned)..............

sandblast everything!!

IRISH-RACER-14
08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
why do you say that? was the quality of the sand blasted parts better than the quality of the other?

250x_kyle
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
i would love to turn a small bussiness out of this. probaly will buy new. did you have to sandblast before pc and how was ur finished quality

if you want to turn a small bussiness out of it why would you say you dont want to pay to sand blast because your cheap. this will make people think that you do things cheaply; therefore, they will not want you to do their work for them. secondly sand blasting give you a guarntee that your surface metal is preped good when you take your time. when you use a wire wheel the wires can miss or not completly remove paint or surface rust.

Ichoptop
08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
My PC guy sandblasts everything, even stuff already blasted. I asked him why and he replied that he wants the proper texture of the metal to give the PC something to bite onto so if dinged it doesnt peel off.
He has done all my parts on quads, motorcycles, my hotrod and daily driver. Everything from frame / hose clamps to major suspension components, wheels and the chassis of my roadster and have never had a problem.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-25-2010, 07:06 AM
i dont have the kind of money to sandblast everything. mabey in the future. but for now i wont be purchasing a sandblasting setup.

Scro
08-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Just as it is with normal paint, prep work is the key to laying down a good coat of powder that won't flake off. I've had local work done, that I could peel off with my fingers on the edges. The work that I've gotten back from Pappy would almost require a sandblaster to remove it.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
just how expensive is a sand blasting system? and can anybody recconmend a gun

250x_kyle
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
just how expensive is a sand blasting system? and can anybody recconmend a gun

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-95014.html

this is what me and my buddy use in his garage for powder coating. we built a small booth out of ply wood and angle iron in the corner of his garage with a 4 bulb florecent light over the top and a ventilation fan. aluminum oxide seems to work the best.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-95014.html

this is what me and my buddy use in his garage for powder coating. we built a small booth out of ply wood and angle iron in the corner of his garage with a 4 bulb florecent light over the top and a ventilation fan. aluminum oxide seems to work the best.

whats the booth for? and how does this blaster work? is it electric or pnewmatic?

toby400ex
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
My PC guy sandblasts everything, even stuff already blasted. I asked him why and he replied that he wants the proper texture of the metal to give the PC something to bite onto so if dinged it doesnt peel off.
He has done all my parts on quads, motorcycles, my hotrod and daily driver. Everything from frame / hose clamps to major suspension components, wheels and the chassis of my roadster and have never had a problem. Exactly. When a part gets sandblasted it textures the bare metal and the pc has something to grab on to. I pc'd my clutch cover after I had only stripped the factory paint off of it. After a couple rides the powder coat was actually flaking and peeling off. You can just a sandblasting gun with the hose that sticks into the bucket of sand for $10 like this one . This is what I have and it pretty much sucks. You can buy a kit that has a this (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?id=100008764&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&marketID=401&productId=100008764&locStoreNum=8125&langId=-1&linktype=product&storeId=10051&ddkey=THDSiteMap) , or go with something like this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WQGQ96/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007D30DO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CYNXKR81PSA4WFSM8NT) to start off with. The second option is pretty good or you can go all out and get a sandblasting cabinet that holds in the dust and recycles the sand/media. The cabinets are expensive but not ridiculous and would make it a much cleaner job.

250x_kyle
08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
whats the booth for? and how does this blaster work? is it electric or pnewmatic?

its penumatic. as far as the booths we got a bunch of 2x2x 1/4 angle iron and made a ten by ten by 8 box in the corner of his garage bolted ply wood two it and mounted a 4 bulb florecent light housing on the top ply wood wired into a 110 plug and a fan to get rid of dust that ran it through dryer duct work out of the garage.

slightlybent47
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
So what kind of tematures are we talking about here that would cure powder coat?
I have access to a ceramic kiln that will go up to 500+ degrees. It’s big enough to do small parts.