PDA

View Full Version : epoxy

jlrenken
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
tnt what was that name of the epoxy that u said to use on the case when it cracks. or what is a good strong epoxy to use. any suggestions would be great. from anyone
thanks

Quinn4
08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty sure the guys on the forum use JB Weld.

florentino
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
yes its jb weld it will bond if you do a good prep job. make shure there is no oil.

TNT
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
JB quick is a little weaker in tension than JB. Devcon is better than both if you can your hands on it. Post a pic and/or I sent you my email.

Cracks start from surface tension(pulling apart) so that is the property in an adhesive you look at, one there are others. Lap shear is another term for it.

jlrenken
08-25-2010, 12:11 AM
here is what i have. there is another crack under this one to. its the same size

blaster99
08-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Is there one in the normal place too? Right behind the sprocket in the corner of the case? I have seen them crack there, but only with a start in the normal spot.

TNT
08-25-2010, 05:30 AM
I'd get some Devcon if you can, open/clean loose metal in that crack up a tad, fill it then form a doubler of .080 aluminum and bond it over the whole area. Acetone clean then scuff up the swing and doubler with some 240 grit and scribe some smalll lines in both. Use JB or permatex if you can't get the devcon.........s/b good for a couple of races then go get the doubler TIG'ed or do it now if you got access, time, and a good welder. Use 6061 for the doubler.

The swing bolt should hold it all together, worse can you loose a chunk of case. That is a engine mount, swing arm and linkage hole that keeps the bolt from bending why I suggest the doubler since there is alot of load there that will eventually cause a prob if you don't restore the original strength or better to the case. The doubler should make it stronger than original. Make sure the swing bolt is red loc-tite and torqued to spec.

You can look but what I can tell from the crack it has not gone all the way through to the hole, so the bolt will stay supported with the doubler repair....the dblr will keep the crack from opening up and breaking off. Good news is as you go into the depth of the crack it has gone into compression better for the surface area of the hole to keep cracks from that surface if that makes sense.

jlrenken
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
no i dont have a crack by the front sprocket this is an '09 case so it has the steel sleeve that goes through it. i had a guy weld it last night and to night im going ot clean the inside and gob a bunch of jb into it. i already have the '10 cases on order with the new update that they have that is suppose to be the fix to prevent any crankin anymore. i hope thats the case. these things arnt cheap.
thanks for the info guys it all helped