PDA

View Full Version : Stator connection difference??

maryland450r
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
I have read that the '89 stator has a different connector for the wiring harness. Is this the only difference? Will the '89 stator work with a '86 wiring harness, regulator, cdi if the connector is changed out to fit??

troybilt
08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes, the 89 has a different connection and 4 wires, the others have 3. I believe it will work with the connection changed. Someone else my correct me on that. If you find where you can buy those connections let me know. I want to make my own harnesses. Thanks.

maryland450r
08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
I looked at both of my motors (supposedly '86 and '89) and both have 4 wires from the stator. 2 wires use the plastic snap connector, and the other 2 wires each have a push together connector. one motor is an '86, is there a chance it had an '89 stator in it? I did peice together an electrical system when I built the quad and I used the wiring harness that came with the motor and an older cdi, regulator. it runs like a champ. Both flywheels look identical too... even same numbers stamped in them.

mxduner
08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
If you find where you can buy those connections let me know. I want to make my own harnesses. Thanks. x2 on that. I have searched all over my honda accord's and they use totally different connector styling on the auto's.

and to the op. i cannot help ya there. been forever since i worked on a 86. But if it is true, 3 on 86's, than i bet you got a late model stator in there.

troybilt
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
x2 on that. I have searched all over my honda accord's and they use totally different connector styling on the auto's.

and to the op. i cannot help ya there. been forever since i worked on a 86. But if it is true, 3 on 86's, than i bet you got a late model stator in there.

I'ved got 2 older motors, 86's and they both have the 3 wire connections. My 89 has 4. I bought a new Ricky Stator 200W stator for one of my older motors to mate to my 89 wire harness. Their website even shows stators for 89's and stators for 86-88's... FYI. If that helps.

troybilt
08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
x2 on that. I have searched all over my honda accord's and they use totally different connector styling on the auto's.

I've found the connections from one of my electrical suppliers, problem is you have to buy in bulk. Like 100+ of each... and they aren't cheap. I might ask around at Ricky Stator, etc... and see.

D Bergstrom
08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I have three stators for my 86, two high output and one stock replacement, all of them have four wires that come off of them. They are all the 86 to 88 style. (I have a 88 harness on my 86.) Two of the wires go to one connector, the other two each have their own bullet style connector. I checked my service manual. The only difference on the 89 is the two bullet connectors are replaced by a single connector. So 86-88, four wires, three connectors. 89, four wires, two connectors. So yes, a 89 stator should work just fine on a 86 harness, you just have to cut off the correct single connector on the stator side and crimp on the correct male or female bullet connectors. Per the manual, the pulse generator is the same for all years, it is the alternator that is different.

Doug

jon370r
08-25-2010, 02:32 AM
I rewired mine using a 4 wire trailer light connection ($5 at the auto parts store). Quick and easy disconnect and somewhat weather tight.

maryland450r
08-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys! I am coming to a conclusion that the motor is probably an '88 not an '89. I pulled the cylinder and it is stamped 88 on the skirt. So the '86, '87, and '88 stator/ connection would be the same right?

troybilt
08-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Both my 86 motors have only 3 wires coming from the stator, 2 into one connector and a 3rd bullet connection. Why would someone modify that?

D Bergstrom
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by maryland450r
So the '86, '87, and '88 stator/ connection would be the same right?

Yes, they should be unless a prior owner changed them.

Both my 86 motors have only 3 wires coming from the stator, 2 into one connector and a 3rd bullet connection. Why would someone modify that?

I am guessing you don't have lights? I know one of the bullet connectors is for lights, I don't recall what the other one is for, I can check my service manual when I get home. If you give me the wire color of the one wire that has a bullet connector, I can tell you what it is for sure.

Doug

troybilt
08-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks Doug, I'll check that out when I get back from Texas. I'd like to make my own harnesses, the 2 extra that I have been cobbled up...

atvmxr
08-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks Doug, I'll check that out when I get back from Texas. I'd like to make my own harnesses, the 2 extra that I have been cobbled up...

where ya at in TX?? :)

troybilt
08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
where ya at in TX?? :)

Waco... Working out of one of our other facilities. Any good places to ride down here? I might be coming back more and more frequently and if I drive I'll bring my bike....

Sorry to hijack, back to harnesses....

RYANHENRY
07-10-2011, 01:08 PM
OK SO I WAS READING THIS WHOLE POST BUT DIDNT GET MY ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM I HAVE THE WIRES COMMING FROM THE STATOR OR PICK UP HAVE A CONNECTOR AT THE END AND IT IS MORE SQUARED THEN MORE OF ROUNDED EDGES MY BUDDY HAS THE ROUNDED EDGE CONNECTION I NEED TO KNOW WHAT YEAR MINE IS WITH THE SQUARE CONNECTION THANKS