PDA

View Full Version : Fast help removing axle bearing please!

00426ex
08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
My order came in 2 days early, so I got my things today. After much fighting and persuading, I finally got all the components out or off, including the carrier. I now need help getting the actual bearings out of the carrier. I have tried pounding and prying, but nothing seems to be making it come out any farther. All help and recommendations are welcomed and thanks =)

MidnightBlade
08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
get a propane torck and heat the end of the carrier that the bearing your hitting is on, once it is too hot to hold (not too hot or it will melt the carrier) put the heated end on a block of wood and put a long flat screwdriver in until it cathes the lip of the bearing and give it a few hard whacks.

00426ex
08-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I tried catching the lip, but I think mine are so worn that there isn't a lip. Even if I barely tap the screwdriver when it catches the lip, it just slips right off. Anything I can do besides taping the lip?

dalejiw25
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
The search engine on this forum works great. We just went over this yesterday ,I believe. Here Ya Go:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305998

00426ex
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I tried searching but couldn't find an exact answer, because as I just said, my lip is almost non existent.

00426ex
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
And wouldn't the heating cause the rubber to melt??

honda400ex2003
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
take all of the gaskets off. the only ones that are on there should be the outside ones. the seals for the bearings have to come out before you will get the bearings to move. you could try to hit the spacer down also to get the gap started. it may press one out of it then it can slide out. otherwise, get a chisel and start hitting it, that will cut a spot in the spacer so you should be able to get it then. steve

honda400ex2003
08-23-2010, 04:56 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445770

heres another one from yesterday, it is a few threads down the page right now. steve

00426ex
Thanks. Ill try hitting it some more

dalejiw25
Didn't you get new rubber with your new bearings ????

00426ex
08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes, i got new rubber, but there is rubber on the outside of mine. It is like a lip. This lip of rubber would melt and probably make the seal bad.

dalejiw25
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
You don't have to get it that hot, maybe *250 that wont melt the rubber. also put your new bearings in the freezer to shrink them a bit that will help on the install.

MidnightBlade
08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
reinstall should be easy. just take a grinder or dremel and cut the outside ring of the bearing the whole way through and use it to tap the new bearing back in, then just tap the seals flush with the outside of the carrier
here is what i was talking about with cutting the bearingshttp://www.youtube.com/user/Davidsfarm#p/u/10/JUAMmiiKJ2Q

hocman123
08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
yea i just did this the other day i had a long punch with a tiny head and i was banging at it for like 15 with no progress

but i had one bearing seaze and the other really loose and sloppy so i turned it the othe way so i could bang on the loose bearing and i would push all the slack to one side then i would hit that side 3 or 4 tapes later the bearing came out in peaces then the other side was really easy but i soon noticed that the outer ring of the bearing was still in the carrier that could not be hit from the other end with the punch b/c of the angle so i pulled out the old dremel and made a few cuts in the ring and out it came a little sand paper to clean the cuts and it is good as new

hope this helps but if u really have a hard time u could by a bearing remover tool on rocky mountain for almoat 40 bucks or bring it down to a local dealer and they proberly would do it for about the same money

00426ex
08-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Ok guys, I think I got it. I took a dremel and put on a metal cutting bit. I cut a chunk in the inside, then pulled it off. Then i tried and tried but still couldn't get it. I gave up yesterday. Today when I got home from school, I took pliers and pulled off parts of the metal holding the bearings on. They broke, all the bearings fell out, and finally, the inside part came out. Then the sleeve in the middle came out and so I pounded the other side out. Now I just need to use the dremel to cut off the outside of the first side I cut, then remove it. Then I can put in the new stuff and I'll be good to go =) Thanks for the help and recommendations guys! I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys =)

VTredneckgames
08-24-2010, 01:02 PM
For future reference, If you have a welder, take a small piece of metal and weld it across the inner bearing race. Make it look somewhat like a cap. That makes it extremely easy to get a long punch on. Dont have to worry about catching the lip that is almost not even there.

hocman123
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
just make sure when u cut out the ring u smothe it out nicely with some like 150 or 220 sand paper untill u get all of the burs off

moddedblaster20
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
man when my bearings went it destroyed the carrier. had to buy a new carrier with bearings already installed. almost 200 bucks i spent!

clemsonteg
08-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
reinstall should be easy. just take a grinder or dremel and cut the outside ring of the bearing the whole way through and use it to tap the new bearing back in, then just tap the seals flush with the outside of the carrier
here is what i was talking about with cutting the bearingshttp://www.youtube.com/user/Davidsfarm#p/u/10/JUAMmiiKJ2Q

That video was awesome

00426ex
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok guys. Yesterday I absolutely could not get the last part out. I tried cutting, pounding, everything. Finally, my dad took me to my uncles workplace and he had a mig welder. We welded a washer to the outside and pounded it and it finally came out. We came home and got the whole axle etc back in. Then when I got home today, I put the brake assembly back in, put the skid plate back on, tightened the new chain up, and put the wheels back on. I took it for a quick spin and it feels great =) Thanks guys and if my brother will let me use his camera sometime (probably not today because it may rain soon) then I'll try to get some pictures =)

Scro
08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by moddedblaster20
man when my bearings went it destroyed the carrier. had to buy a new carrier with bearings already installed. almost 200 bucks i spent!

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to replace them before they go out completely.:D

00426ex
08-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Dude. I didn't know. I just got the atv like 2 weeks ago. Neither I nor the previous owner knew its bearings were bad. I only rode it a bit when I got it, then took it apart for about a week to change the rings, valve seals, gaskets, etc. Then I rode it 1 time at my uncles house, that was when they noticed the wobble and told me it needed new bearings. I immediately stopped riding it and sold something to get the new bearings. This is my first quad and I am giving it my utmost respect and care.

hocman123
08-25-2010, 03:01 PM
X2 with scro but 200 is a good price for a new carier plus bearings

00426ex why didn't u bring it there in the first place u would have been done and rideing again in not even a day

amd calm down he was not talking to u he was talking about moddedblaster20 u did the right thing

i can't say that i did i new mine was bad but one day before a weekend trip riding figured i would take the chance i went anyway and i am good just the bearing for me everything else was good

moddedblaster20
08-25-2010, 04:06 PM
that was even at the dealer. twin row lsr. and woulda replaced them before if i had noticed lol

CJM
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
All this bearing talk I checked over things the other day. Made damn sure the axles good, but noticed the sprockets are probably a bit worn so next step is sprockets and chain maybe since the chain has little wear marks on the inside (or is that normal?).