PDA

View Full Version : New Car

krt400ex
08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
well, i just picked up a 1992 dodge stealth twin turbo AWD. dont have pics yet, its raining out. but i will tomorrow or wednesday. the car is mechanically very solid, but it needs a paint job and some interior work. i LOVE it though. its pretty freaking fast and the sound of the v-6 is really rather nice. anyone know anything about these cars? things i should watch out for?

Guy400
08-23-2010, 02:30 PM
It's a Mitsu 3000GT with Dodge name plates slapped on it. The most common problems are various electrical gremlins and trans failures.

krt400ex
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
hmm i'll keep an eye on the trans, though i have a feeling it was rebuilt. its high mileage and the syncros are perfect. no grinding, it feels smooth and you can feel the gears. feels very new to me.

lol, i would never buy dodge. the only reason i did was because i knew mitsu built these cars. i am a dodge hater, but to me its not a dodge lol

Hondamaster5505
08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
hmm i'll keep an eye on the trans, though i have a feeling it was rebuilt. its high mileage and the syncros are perfect. no grinding, it feels smooth and you can feel the gears. feels very new to me.

lol, i would never buy dodge. the only reason i did was because i knew mitsu built these cars. i am a dodge hater, but to me its not a dodge lol

haha.

Timing belt, Mitsu motors like to chew through timing belts faster then any other car ive seen. Other then that they're pretty solid cars.

CJM
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
hello crank walk aka thrust bearing failure..pray it dont happen to you. All DSMs of that generation tend to get it tho.

The ultimate check for crankwalk. Take the car for a nice hard left handed turn and touch the clutch ever so lightly with your foot. If the clutch begins to fall to the floor, it's a tell tale sign of crankwalk.

Also, you could stick a breaker car on the crank pulley bolt and check for p

coryatver
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
from what i have heard these cars have lots of problems. A guy I know is on his 3rd engine when the timing belt goes so does the whole engine. there sweet cars when running though.

e463x
08-23-2010, 06:12 PM
there a lot of problems with that motor my son has a 3000gt twin turbo and its blown up three time because of the timing belt just snaps out of no where.

Kickstarts-suck
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Well damn.. Sucks to hear that.

Hondamaster5505
08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Like I said, Mitsubishi+Timing Belts=Usually no good.

yfzrider310
08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
definitely watch the trans. I drove 6 when I was in the market for one and every single one grinded 2nd and 3rd because the syncros were bad. Everyone I drove did have 120k+ miles on them. So if its low miles or rebuilt trans I wouldnt worry much.

krt400ex
08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
its high miles, but i think the trans is rebuilt. i'll keep an eye on the timing belt. i do know this one has a brand new timing belt though. maybe i'll just save money and replace them every six months just to be safe. thanks guys. i did pit it against my buddies WRX and i blew him away. its got some serious balls