PDA

View Full Version : GNCC Race at K-Dubs

gncc400exxx
02-05-2003, 01:55 PM
February 5, 2003

Kevin Windham talks about his comeback
by Davey Coombs

Racer X caught up with Kevin Windham this morning as he was working a dirt job on his tractor down near his home in Mississippi. The sidelined superstar has been away from the races since he broke his femur back at the Atlanta SX, almost one full year ago. He has since parted ways with Team Suzuki, and he and his wife, Dottie, had a little girl named Madeleine who went to the starting gate a little early (almost three months!) and is still in the hospital getting healthy and putting on some weight (almost four pounds now).

At any rate, Kevin told us last fall that he was thinking about doing some racing again, even venturing over into Texas for a few local money races. Then, last week, he sounded a little more serious as we spoke about doing a GNCC down on his land in Mississippi. Now he sounds like he's ready to finally get back out on the national circuit!

When I asked him who he was going to ride for this summer, he said, laughing: "Well, that seems to be a big part of the problem. I'm riding the Honda CRF450 right now with no team affiliation or anything; it's just a fun bike to ride. I decided to give a four-stroke a whirl, and I'm liking it. So I'm talking to them and Kawasaki a little bit, but Suzuki is kinda down right now [with injuries] and so is KTM. Even Yamaha has a bike right now [YZ450F] that no one is riding. It's too bad that so many guys are hurt now."

When I asked Kevin what clicked inside him to make him want to get serious about racing again, he answered: "Last year there was a little desire to take a some time off, and then I hurt my leg. Maybe it was sort of a blessing in disguise. I had no choice but to take the time off that I needed, and now I'm ready to ride again. Believe me, after doing some other jobs - some real, everyday jobs - I think I understand what hard work really is. I mean, there's nothing to this racing thing! Until you get in the real world, you have no idea how fortunate you are to be racing a motorcycle for a living."

We wish Kevin and Dottie good luck with the baby and can't wait to see K-Dub back out on the race track. Stay tuned to Racerxill.com for more on Kevin's comeback.

:)

GNCC#829
02-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Mississippi ??? That could be neat.

12gofast
02-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Racer Productions is trying to drift out west to be closer to the manufacturers and compete with the WORCS series in which all the bike pros are running!!

Right on racer productions screw your roots on the east coast!!!!

No races in West By God Virginia

GNCC#829
02-05-2003, 09:08 PM
West Virginia has definately gotten screwwed the last few years by GNCC. They are based in WV, they should know that the races there were always great. (Bring back Hardrock)

Cannonball08
02-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Bring Back BlackWater 100 !!!!!

MrP
02-06-2003, 08:54 AM
A GNCC race in MS would definately be cool.

Extremeracer167
02-06-2003, 09:10 AM
I just wish Windham would get back nto the MX series again, that guy was the BEST to watch. He was by far the smoothest looking rider out there!!

MotoXC33
09-11-2003, 08:40 AM
The blackwater 100 was the TOUGHEST race going. I'd love to have raced that one. I hear stories all the time. West Virginia is definatly XC material. We have it all. My first race this year. I kid you not, We had a foot of snow. It was awesome. I raced a Polaris 400 Sport. Dirt Devil rears and reverse. I lapped my class the before the had One lap on the books. I was Happy that race :)

coryatver
09-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Believe me, after doing some other jobs - some real, everyday jobs - I think I understand what hard work really is. I mean, there's nothing to this racing thing! Until you get in the real world, you have no idea how fortunate you are to be racing a motorcycle for a living."

ATV racers have to work and ride.:ermm: