PDA

View Full Version : I have fire, BUT the POS wont start!

wes350x
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Got the FTZ motor in the frame, cr ignition hooked up right ( i think) got great fire (with my cap off and me holding the wire) and it wont start. Anyone know where else to look? Also whats the clearence for the flywheel and the thingamajigga above it. I tried several clearences and doesnt seem to help. This thing doesnt even act like it wants to start. Im tired! and my leg is!

atvmxr
08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
pull start?

08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Pull it. She'll fire up.

matt250r21
08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Is your CR250 ignition all the same year? I have heard people mix and match different year parts and have problems getting it to run right. Post pics of the CDI with the ID #'s on it as well as the flywheel. 2001 parts should have printed on them KZ3.

CorvetteZ06
08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
is she getting fuel?

wes350x
08-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Is your CR250 ignition all the same year? I have heard people mix and match different year parts and have problems getting it to run right. Post pics of the CDI with the ID #'s on it as well as the flywheel. 2001 parts should have printed on them KZ3.

Good point, It had a brand new CDI put on it before I bought it and the shop guy said it was a 2000. But from the looks with the ESR adapter and all it may be a 01. I will check. Thanks

wes350x
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I checked all the cr components, The CDI was a kz3t and ther flywheel a kz3V. I found my old CDI wich isnt suppose to work and it fires better with that. SO I kicked it a few times with the same results. Im gonna have a buddy try to pull me tomorrow.

cdrookie
08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
is it getting gas? try dumping a little gas down the spark plug hole and kick it a few times

wes350x
08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I tried gas in the plug hole. POS doesnt even pop off like it wants to start. Im gonna pull it is afternoon and if it doesnt start I gotta ty something else with the electrical. Thats gotta be my problem

atvmxr
08-24-2010, 03:09 PM
did you plug in your tether cord?

wes350x
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Ive tried to pull start it today and still had no luck. I dont know what the hell is going on. Ima gonna take my stock ignition off my other bike and try it, Thats my last option before I buy new parts for thr cr ignition.

1promodfan
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I know this has been asked, but did all your parts match up??

Also, did you try and bypass your kill switch?

wes350x
08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
I know this has been asked, but did all your parts match up??

Also, did you try and bypass your kill switch?

All the parts match as I put the old "bad" cdi back on it that wasnt suppose to work but it did. The stupid shop it was at that my friend brought it to before I owned it bought the wrong cdi and sad the odther didnt work. Im dumbfounded, I cant see whats wrong. I wish I had a cr250 manual so I can see the specs on the electrical parts so I could test them. I did also try to un hook the switch, meaning i just left the 2 cr wires un-apart. Bad thing is, it wasnt running when I bought it due to the cylinder being bad so I dont know if something was bad before. So I gotta start from scratch and find whats wrong.

wilkin250r
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Ok, first things, first.

Are you 100% sure your motor is built correctly? Give me a compression reading.

You already said you have spark, so we know the spark plug is firing. But are you sure it's firing at the correct TIME?

>Find TDC, and mark your flywheel. Then find 10 degrees before TDC, and 20 degrees before TDC, and mark those on the flywheel as well (doesn't have to be dead-on, we just need an idea). Get a timing light, and tell us (roughly) where your spark is firing. You might need two people, one to kick, the other to observe.

wes350x
08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ok, first things, first.

Are you 100% sure your motor is built correctly? Give me a compression reading.

You already said you have spark, so we know the spark plug is firing. But are you sure it's firing at the correct TIME?

>Find TDC, and mark your flywheel. Then find 10 degrees before TDC, and 20 degrees before TDC, and mark those on the flywheel as well (doesn't have to be dead-on, we just need an idea). Get a timing light, and tell us (roughly) where your spark is firing. You might need two people, one to kick, the other to observe.

Im pretty sure the motor is built correctly, FTZ built it and sent it to me. As far as the timing, I believe thats my issue, Ill have to research the method you told me cause I never had to do that before.

wilkin250r
08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
At this point in the game, it doesn't have to be exact. We're just looking for ballpark.

Try to find TDC (Top Dead Center) as best as you can estimate.

After that, you can easily estimate 90 degrees, then cut that in half for 45 degrees, then half again for 22.5, and half yet again for 11 degrees. That will get us close enough.

Just make sure you're looking at the right thing. We're looking for BEFORE top dead center, when the piston is on it's way up. So pay close attention to which direction the flywheel is rotating.

Like I said, we're just looking for ballpark. Because your ignition can be off 5 or 6 degrees easily, and still fire up just fine. It just won't have all the power it can. But if yours won't even fire at all, then you're off by way more.

wes350x
08-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Ok, got off work tonight and decided to switch ignitions while it was semi cool out. I hooked up the stock ignition up and WOW, huge spark. The CR had a weak spark. Im gonna fire it up in the morning. Dont think my wife or the neighbors wanna wake up right now. Any way I took pictures of how I had the cr ignition up and also the part #'s off of them. Please let me know what I did wrong if any. Thanks

flywheel #kz3v 0320009600 6dx
CDI # kz3v 071000-1740

atvmxr
08-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Im just going to throw this out there and I may be completely wrong. but on your coil wires, shouldnt the black wire be the one to ground and not the green wire?

maybe its a CR ignition thing, but for stock setup neither of the coil wires should go to ground. I would think grounding out a coild wire would weaken your spark since it would provide an alternate path to ground instead of having to jump across the spark plug to get to ground.. :confused:

wes350x
08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was my ignition. Now I gotta figure out whats bad in it. I just did a warm up cycle, IM PUMPED!!!

CHECK MY VID: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiLUVbXhoUY

08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Good to hear!