PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Fade On 2008 Outlaw 525 IRS

woods racer 34
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Has anyone experienced severe rear brake fade on the 2008 525 IRS and if so what did you do about it? My 16 year old son has been using this quad to race harescrambles and no matter what the conditions (wet or dry) he always experiences rear brake loss after a couple of miles of blazing through the trees. I have looked at the rotor, changed the pads, and checked the fluid level but still experience the brake fade. Any ideas to fix this problem or any upgrades I can do to increase break performance? He uses the rear break a lot and can't afford to have this thing failing on him every single race. Thanks in advance for your help!

Brown450R
08-25-2010, 05:43 AM
I have not had this problem. I did have the clamp on the reservoir supply line break off from rusting. The clamp right where it attatches to the mechanism. Maybe try new fluid and a good bleeding and make sure pads are good. You probably already did that though.

Dirtjunkie85
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
My front brake on my bike did that too and i had to get a master cylinder rebuild kit for it. If you pump it does it work for a second and then fade right after that?

shiley55
08-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Could try upgrading your brake pads. Generally stock pads on anything are not made for the abuse of racing. If you do get new pads make sure you break em in properly.

Brown450R
09-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Try adjusting your stationary pad set screw. If it is too tight, it may cause quick brake fade. Adjust it so it just touches the rotor and then back off 1/2 turn.

OUTLAWGNCC
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
If he is really using them A LOT, then he is boiling the brake fluid. kevin Yoho's Dad warned me about this happening to Kevin when he was racing them although he was on a straight axel, really no difference. He said that he had some kind of expensive hydrolic fluid he would give me if I experienced the fade like Kevin did, but then again, right now Kevin is #3 in the GNCC Pro-Am points and I really didn't think I would be racing at his level and he is really hard on everything, lol. Look for a super high temp rated hyd. fluid and that is it I bet my life on it if he is really hitting them hard and often.

Brown450R
09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I suppose that is possible. But after only a couple miles? I think his brake is dragging, but I have been wrong before. Proper adjustment and the above suggested fluid might be the ticket.

OUTLAWGNCC
09-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Yes, you sound like you are right, boiling them after just a few miles doesn't sound right either. I know Kevin's dad told me that if it can be wore out in a race or any part that can be broken, Kevin will break it. BUT, the speeds and riding style most of us couldn't even duplicate if we set out to try and do it. Watching him and/or his class, Pro-Am/Pro, the speeds that they are going through the woods and topping 100 mph like out of the woods and across a 1/2 mile+ field to the woods on the other side, they absolutely are going that fast and beating the quads giving them 6 months normal trail rider/weekend warrior wear and tear in a little over 2 hours race time at the Nationals.

LT80
09-26-2010, 07:05 AM
He could be riding the brake lever slightly. Try a stronger spring on the petal.
Maybe switch to dot5 brake fluid to help with the boil aspect.

My brakes fade also (250R) It sucks!