PDA

View Full Version : Axle problem (with video)

kono993
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
ok i got an rpm dominator 2 axle and i just put it on and there is play in everything still even when the lock nut it tight. and the bearings are fine... idk what to do and the video will be up in a bit.

kono993
08-23-2010, 12:27 PM
heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZbZT6IlFs

DnB_racing
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
is it brand new? maybe the seller did some grinding on it to make it out of spec?

JJs450r
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
i dont know if this is why but i lock nut and axle nut have to touch and is your carrier nuts tight

kono993
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
i dont know if this is why but i lock nut and axle nut have to touch and is your carrier nuts tight
no thats not it

Originally posted by DnB_racing
is it brand new? maybe the seller did some grinding on it to make it out of spec?
its like new but no theirs no grind marks on it.

ss440ex
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
From what I can tell in the video.
The sprocket looks close to the bearing carrier.
Did you make sure the steel retain on that side was installed before you slide it in the carrier?
Its a tappered sleeve that goes on the axle and slides into the bearing seal.

Just an idea,
Good luck.

kono993
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
From what I can tell in the video.
The sprocket looks close to the bearing carrier.
Did you make sure the steel retain on that side was installed before you slide it in the carrier?
Its a tappered sleeve that goes on the axle and slides into the bearing seal.

Just an idea,
Good luck.
yup it was there its more loos on the right side then on the left

ss440ex
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Loosen the nut, and make sure all splines are clean and that the rotor hubs is sliding in up againest the bearing.
Maybe a light tap with a dead blow hammer, tapping the axle towards the right side.

kono993
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
Loosen the nut, and make sure all splines are clean and that the rotor hubs is sliding in up againest the bearing.
Maybe a light tap with a dead blow hammer, tapping the axle towards the right side.
i was just out there and i took it all apart a looked at every thing and even checked the axle diameter to make sure it was all the same as the stock axle but it looks like somehow the right bearing got loos. idk how it happened cuz i checked it like the other day and it was all tight. ohh well i guess i"m buying new bearings. thanks guys!

i do have another question though, can you use tapered roller bearings in your carrier?

jasonjonesjj
08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
do you have a carrier that requires spacers on both sides of the axle? i had a honda rpm axle and carrier set up on my can am. i blew the carrier. had to replace it, plus get two new spacers for each side from RPM. $25 each.