PDA

View Full Version : New Led pipe

smokejr
08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Got my new LeD pipe and silencer last week, nice handmade pipe with cool looking welds,
it is adjustable and going on my 86 restore with a fresh 300 from LeD.

Hmmm, pics didn't attach....

Must not have liked me attaching both images in one post I guess.

smokejr
08-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Test :

smokejr
08-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Silencer :

rayman375
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Looks nice, I would really like to watch one being made. Do you know how long it took him to make it?

SilverLake250R
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
That is so sexy. I have always wanted one. Is it a big bore pipe, or does he make regular ones too?

CorvetteZ06
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
looks like a piece of art, are you going to get it chrome plated? or somethng else? how much does he charge for a custom made pipe?

mxduner
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
looks good man. are you leaving it bare?

pdxbigfoot
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Yours appears to be different than mine in the headpipe section.
It might be his small bore pipe.
The process is really not as hard as you would think (and the actual material cost would make you sick) but there is a lot of trial and error with the shapes.
That is basically what I did when I was working for him last summer. From cardboard templates to rolling the metal. The only thing I didn't do was the welding.
I recommend you get some very high quality sealer and slip the 2 pieces together once and let them sit and fully cure before you start it.
Just like every LRD pipe you see with the orange ring of death.
Mine would blow regular high temp silicone out in a matter of seconds.
Nothing will pi$$ you off more than having your overpriced handmade pipe spew oil everywhere.
Welding classes start soon and I promise this community that I will develop handmade pipes that not only make great power, but will look awesome and wont spit exhaust goo all over your fresh powder.
Sorry to sound like a debbie downer but I had almost had it with my pipe leaking. I came close to pulling a "office space" on it many times but the thought smashing a ridiculous amount of $$$ always stopped me.

latheboy
08-24-2010, 04:38 AM
My LED pipe doesnt leak too bad...but the silencer, thats another story. Mi ne leaks around the first set of rivets. Also, my Maier plastics got a classic burn fromthe silencer. The LED sticker on the silencer wont last long either. But for me, if it works well, lets ride!

SilverLake250R
08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
I came close to pulling a "office space" on it many times but the thought smashing a ridiculous amount of $$$ always stopped me.

Hahaha...I have done this several times, with things actually raised above my head halfway through the action of being thrown...usually happens when I'm working on brakes...there's nothing I hate more than a seized caliper.

smokejr
08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks all, I'm not sure how long it takes to make one, sounds like pdxbigfoot might know,
definitely gonna leave bare, just hope it don't rust thru somewhere, probably shouldn't I'm guessing.
The pipe was $450 and the silencer is $175, this is a small bore pipe, Arlen just rebuilt my engine to 295cc,
I was gonna put it all together then have Arlen break it in on his dyno, and see what she will do.
Wondering about the "orange ring of death" and leaking oil, what kind of death/damage are we talking
about?? Sounds like any kind of exhaust leak will lead to premature engine failure??
I got it mounted up yesterday and the adjuster screw on top is right in the way of the radiator outlet,
not good, seems like I might have to buy a AFCO radiator so both outlets are on the clutch side.

buford
08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
wow, that better be one powerful pipe for $450.00. If you are close to LED I would take the bike over there and have them move the pipe mount instead of buying a new radiator. I have a LRD 330 BB pipe on a 330 right now, just high temp silicone the center section and put it together, that's the only way it won't leak. The one I have is fine.

$450.00 is too much money for a pipe that you can spend half that much for a pipe and make the same HP with. Don't get me wrong, I love the works style look of it and I know it takes a bit to weld up but that's a bit crazy

cdrookie
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM
looks like the typical lrd pipe except it's coned and welded together instead of being stamped...

pdxbigfoot
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
The "orange ring of death" is a term I just came up with in reference to every LRD pipe you see out there sealed with the copious amount of orange high temp silicone required to get them to stop leaking.
Expect to shell out some big cash for the dyno pulls as he will always find something else wrong with it. Do you have a brand new stator? If not you will as he won't "tune" without one.

It is of my opinion that the dyno "tuning" money could be better spent elsewhere.
But if you have to have the dyno sheet in hand go for it. Don't forget to stop by the bank on the way though.

800screws
08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
wow...what happened with u and arlen...one minute making magic and the next.....%^$#&&@?

08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 800screws
wow...what happened with u and arlen...one minute making magic and the next.....%^$#&&@?

I was thinking the same thing. At first there was nothing but praise, he was the man! Now there is some decent bashing going on here. Lol.

pdxbigfoot
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Is an amazing builder!!!

Having worked there maybe I have just seen the "dark side" of this sport.
I will leave it at that.

hondamancbr03
08-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Is an amazing builder!!!

An amazing builder comes with a cost...Some of the cost does not seem reasonable but i have learned over the years that if you want to have someone like Arlan build you a motor, you tell him where you want the power and then open your wallet! I've gone to Alran since the early 90's for machine work from time to time, and yes he is expensive but i keep going back.

I have the older version of LRD pipes on my Banshee and 250R, with the correct prep and LOTS of orange gunk i haven't had one leak yet...I wonder if the older LRD pipes have a better fit?

quadrcr161
08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
nice looking pipe.

The "orange ring of death" is a term I just came up with in reference to every LRD pipe you see out there sealed with the copious amount of orange high temp silicone required to get them to stop leaking.

hell i thought that was with every pipe, didnt matter if it was my sparks, fmf, paul turner or any of them i just grabbed a tube and sealed the seams if nothing else but just for extra precaution. i do like the term though.

latheboy
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I have worked with Arlan over the past year. He has a lot of knowledge. Yea, it cost me some big money to build a 350pv with a pipe/silencer like this. I felt i must go with an LED pipe if he was doing the porting. The best power comes when the pipes matches the porting. Also when I went big bore, there are limited pipe options.
Now, Arlan and I did have some misunderstandings that cost me time and $. It also cost him time and $. If you have him build a motor (port/pipe/carb/jetting) be very specific as to your riding style, the place you ride, and how you think the motor should pull. To be brief, I told him that I ran mostly TT. He gave me jetting for TT. Then I ran the quad on a big oval, and seized the motor. I take responsiblity for that, because the optimum TT jetting is way leaner on the main (with a richer needle) than it would be for oval. Honestly, he is used to jetting for a pro rider. Again, he helped me get it right, and he is always a phone call away. The extra cost is worth it to me because is service after the sale has been good.

latheboy
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Also note that your pipe will turn colors when you get heat in it. Actually its a good thing to see how much heat you are getting in it, and how far back the heat is. This is how mine looks after about 3 riding afternoons. When I am done riding, I wipe it down with a heavy duty rust inhibitor made by LPS. I just spray it on a paper towel, and wipe it on.