PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Sprinter, anyone own one?

nakomis0
08-23-2010, 08:08 AM
I was looking to get a Sprinter for work and as a toy hauler.

I have looked on the internet and it seems to get mixed reviews. Some say its great, some say its nothing but expensive problems.

Anyone own one of these that has an opinion?

Just so you know, I'm looking at 2005 with around 140,000 miles. Thats about what I can afford. ($10k-$14k range.)

First Outlander
08-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a 2005 Sprinter with 70,000mi. The two problems I know about are; the turbo resonator (turbo muffler) and the hose between intercooler and intake gets a small crack
Cheap fixes are a turbo resonator eliminator(straight pipe no muffler) and replace hose, do it yourself for $200. Happens around 60'000mi. Brakes last about 40,00 k.
That said it's the best truck I've ever owned, I have the high top long version
I average 20 mpg loaded up, and can walk inside without hitting my head. Never going back to a regular van. Good luck!

CJM
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Im not a fan, unless you need the higher clearance top a nice diesel E350 not only is more comfortable to drive imho but is much cheaper used. Look for an older one with the 7.3L.

I drove a few sprinters and felt they were way to top heavy, rode way to soft for me and besides the hitop I felt they werent worth the cash if I had to buy one.

BlaineKaiser450
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I really don't like them personally. For no real reason though! What I would get is a U-Haul with an F-350 front end and a 7.3 if you're looking for a race van

Rootar
08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
^^^ yup they go for dirt cheap, heck you could make one into small motor home and then pull your enclosed trailer behind it. still get 12+mpg!

Rootar
08-23-2010, 11:11 PM
btw im all for the sprinters, they get awesome mileage but honestly for the money you could save you could get a much more powerful and larger rig and then use all the money you saved to offset the gasmilage differnece for atleast 10 years

nakomis0
08-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
btw im all for the sprinters, they get awesome mileage but honestly for the money you could save you could get a much more powerful and larger rig and then use all the money you saved to offset the gasmilage differnece for atleast 10 years

This is something I may consider.

I know the sprinter is ugly but it get about 22mpg loaded and I drive 100 miles a day. So gas is my primary concern. Another good thing about the sprinter is, although ugly, it makes for a pretty sweet billboard when ur driving around with your companies logo and other info on it.