PDA

View Full Version : need my question answered

hickenfitch
08-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a 99 400ex. i was out riding it and it went dead. so we
pushed started it until we got home. i bought a new battery and silonoid and put a new fuse in it but i put it on charge and it hits a couple of times and then it is dead. does anyone know what it could be?

08-23-2010, 07:56 AM
make sure the ground wire is still hooked up to the motor and not broke or lose.

hickenfitch
08-23-2010, 09:38 AM
the neutral light comes on ans so do the lights. when i try to start it all i hear is the silionoid clicking. the ground is hooked up

Chukkinsod
08-23-2010, 02:24 PM
If the battery is new and the solenoid is new, as stated above.......the starter could be shot. I had this happen to me before and it was a bad solenoid. You could borrow a voltage tester and see if the output volts on the battery, solenoid and starter are good. Somewhere there is a loss.

hocman123
08-23-2010, 02:39 PM
if u were in the middle of riding it and it just turned off then i don't think it is the starter

if u turned it off and it would not turn on then i would say it is a starter problem

o and check ur kill switch just to make sure u wouldn't be the first to have made that mistake

bherriman
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
This also has happened to me...it was just a dirty connection on the ground. Check all your grounds not just the battery negative.

hickenfitch
08-28-2010, 09:36 PM
everything has a good connection. today i tried my buddys starter on mine and it still just makes one click each time i push the start button. can anyone help?

tri5ron
08-28-2010, 10:00 PM
OK,
you've swapped out the starter, and you still have the same condition.
This tells you the starter is not the problem.

Next,
you've got a new, fully charged. battery,
and the battery connections are good.
What's this tell you?

It says, you are not getting full amperage to the starter.

This means, that you need to trace the ENTIRE starter circut.
SOMEWHERE you either have a bad ground, or a bad connection.

This could be due to many possible causes.
Corrosion in a connection,
A bad wire, (i.e. - a wire that has some of the strands frayed), Corrosion in a wire right next to the connector,
A wire that has been previously overheated / cooked,
A loose wire or connector,
A partially broken wire,...

The bottom line is,...

If the starter is good,
and the solenoid is good,
and the battery is good,
and the battery cables are good,
and the fuse is good,
and all you are getting is a click,...

Then you have high resistance in the circut SOMEWHERE.
take your time a check EVERYTHING in the circut.
Every connector,
Every switch,
Every wire,
Every ground

You WILL find the cause of the problem.
Gauranteed.

99400esex
08-28-2010, 10:58 PM
This happened to me once. Took me a little while to figure out the Honda shop forgot to tight the battery terminal bolt down.

smorris1
08-29-2010, 09:06 AM
cdi maybe? My 250x would do the same thing, just randomly die.