PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up to Pitster Pro

quadnana7
08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
After 1 year of MX racing the Pitster Pro has proven to be one tough quad, finishing every moto. This quad has been rode hard with stock suspension and will soon have the plush ATV Fourplay suspension. This, along with a Nationally modded Pitster race motor or one of the Fourplay mod conversions could put them in front of the pack. So, for all of you who asked or anyone wanting to build I would highly recommend one of these racing setups. Either way you could have a brand new race quad for a fraction of the cost.

Ride1Rob
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
You hit the nail right on the head Gary. In the 20 months that we've been racing these motors we've had only 1 DNF and 1 DNS to a motor malfunction. With the ATVFourplay setup and a built motor Christian is gonna be insane!

riding4fun
09-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm curious is the motor in FXR 150 a 150 cc or 155cc.

quadnana7
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Christian rode the 125 which is 90 production legal.
I believe it actually comes out to 123.6
The 150 has a 60 bore with a 53 stroke and comes out to 149.85

WISH1965
09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
These quads look like a great alternative the way Tom has them set up. I am looking for a 90 mod without breaking the bank and this looks like a viable option. I personally hate the Taiwanese quads, but it looks like Tom gussets the heck out 'em. Pop a CR motor in & go. You guys speak highly of the Pitster. How does this quad stack up as far as size in relation to say a Cobra?

T@AFP
09-15-2010, 07:42 AM
We also think it was a viable solution. They really seem to work well.
When we first received the first Pitster I was skeptical because of the whole Taiwan thing. But after tweeking on them I was sold.

In regards to the Cobra question. It is a taller frame, so the child
can grow into it. Rather than out of it. The "footprint" is the same. I cut down the seat on ours to lower it to the same footpeg/top of seat height as a Cobra. Because my rider is a little dude.

Riders who test rode this quad had experience with the CR85/Cobra and they said clearly this was a better handling machine.

Time will tell, but wer're pretty confident in them.

WISH1965
09-15-2010, 07:53 AM
So the wheelbase front to rear & side to side is comparable to a Cobra? The seat height is slightly higher on a PP.

quadnana7
09-15-2010, 08:20 AM
The truth is, I really don't know the size difference between the Pitster & the Cobra as Christian never rode a Cobra. I am sold on the Pitster based on how well the frame and engine stayed together all year.Our frame has not been gussetted yet. I am looking forward to the new ATV Fourplay suspension. Christian is a big kid and the Pitster is roomy enough for him. I do believe it can win with a built Pitster engine in Production or a Mod motor in the Mod class. The way I see it the Fourplay Pitster will be the new standard and not the alternative and everyone riding them will be ahead of the curve.
Thanks!

T@AFP
09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes they are comparable. We added 2" to lengthen the swing arm to make the footprint close to the front width.

The seat has so much foam that we chose to remove materials out of that. Rather than making a removable subframe and lowering it. This also helps keep the costs down for the build.

On a stock Pitster the seat to footpegs measure about 19.5"
on our mod it measures 17". (+/- on both dimensions)

Attached is a pic of how we cut down the seat.

T@AFP
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by quadnana7
The truth is, I really don't know the size difference between the Pitster & the Cobra as Christian never rode a Cobra. I am sold on the Pitster based on how well the frame and engine stayed together all year.Our frame has not been gussetted yet. I am looking forward to the new ATV Fourplay suspension. Christian is a big kid and the Pitster is roomy enough for him. I do believe it can win with a built Pitster engine in Production or a Mod motor in the Mod class. The way I see it the Fourplay Pitster will be the new standard and not the alternative and everyone riding them will be ahead of the curve.
Thanks!

Snap! Thanks Gary

WISH1965
09-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I am looking to purchase a non CVT quad to run 90 mod classes etc. Looking at all my options. I see JB mods, very nice but are large bikes & a price tag that is large as well. Cobra's are a little smaller, price is okay, but I'm not a fan of the front end geometry. Price is okay, not cheap either & and a lot of guys are swapping out the motor & some suspension pieces. I see one -offs out there like some Blasters & others, that making getting parts a little more difficult because they use parts from all types of machines. Which brings me to the Pitster. For $5000 I get a PC & gussetted frame, all ATV 4 play aftermarket suspension pieces, fairly light machine, more compact than some brands. Okay I will need $2000 for shocks, $200 for a radiator, and in the first year I could get a used CR 85 motor & pipe for $1000. Not breaking the bank & most of it is new. Not someone elses problem quad. This why I may go this option?? Not sure but a nice option. I know this....I hate CVT's!!!!

T@AFP
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I sooo hear ya on the CVT thing.

Also, I just bought a 2006 KX65 engine and electronics for 200.00 off ebay. I know you're looking for a 85 but my point is the costs are way better than building the 3k CVT engines.

Not sure if you're going, but I will be at Mapleshade in PA this weekend with this mod. So if you're in town stop by and you can check it out.

Thanks,
Tom

WISH1965
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Won't make it on the other side of the state & we have other plans this weekend. Tom I spoke with you a few days ago in reference to this machine, and yes I want out of the CVT's. You have to spend so much more to get HP. Besides i love the Japanese motors. These Tiaiwanese scooter motors are ticking time bombs. It's mini quad terrorism:mad:

riding4fun
09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Tom, since you have had this frame for testing and put gussets in it, will you be selling a gusset kit. I'm in the same boat, I want out of CVT's

WISH1965
09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I think alot of people are looking to get out of them. They are a money pit. At least with the JB's Cobra's Pitster etc. you're going in a better direction. May be more $$ initially but with out the constant aggravation of $150 here, another $200 there etc. etc. etc. $$ for $$ you'll spend more $$ per hp with a cvt than a Rm, CR or KX motor. And the longevity of the Japanese motors is far greater. JMO.

T@AFP
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Tom, since you have had this frame for testing and put gussets in it, will you be selling a gusset kit. I'm in the same boat, I want out of CVT's

Yes we will be.
There will be 24 of them.