PDA

View Full Version : No spark, any ideas?

honda380
08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
so after a year of sitting, my R wont start. i get no spark. i have checked everything in the electrical system that can be checked and its all within spec. could the CDI have just gotten an attitude and stopped working? or maybe somethings going on that i havnt checked yet? it ran when i parked it i swear! hahaha thanks for the help! Corey

cdrookie
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
doubt the CDI went bad. were you kicking the motor to check for spark?

Honda 250r 001
08-23-2010, 09:08 AM
stator and flywheel clean? possibly a bad coil? I could go into a whole paragraph about how to check your stuff. But its easier to use a clymer manual. You need to ohm your coil and make sure your stator and flywheel is good and that it didnt get burnt up. Check the ground and for wires that may have been nibbled on by mice.

spintly
08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I had the same problem two months ago. Mine was a bad CDI. I went through the entire system with an Ohms meter and my clymer manual. Everything was within spec, but still no spark. I bought a CDI and presto-fat, blue spark. It was very frustrating because all I did was tear it completely down to fix the frame and then put everything back together the same way. Also make sure you have a good ground @ the upper radiator mount. Good luck.

honda380
08-23-2010, 12:41 PM
i went through everything with the ohm meter and manual. even did it twice to be sure. the stator and flywheel look just as they always have, i dont have a puller to get behind the flywheel, but it looks ok. ground is good and wiring is good fine. just kind of odd to think the CDI would just up and quit when it was just sitting in the barn. i guess ill try a a few more things before i order a cdi. anyone got a spare sitting around for an '88?