PDA

View Full Version : 400ex is down again.... carb question?

trailrider894
08-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey guys....................... After my accident, and hundreds of dollars. I took my atv out for a spin, and while kinda putt-ing along ( not riding hard at all ) it just shut off on me. About 10 minutes before i had started going out for my ride, i moved my need clip position up to the fourth one from the bottom, because my atv was sputtering pretty bad in the third position. Moving it up to the 4th position worked great after i really got into the throttle on my test run. So i though i was good to go. I got on the atv with the girlfriend, and took off through the field and was just slowly riding along and then it just died. I pulled it back to the shop, and pulled out the BRAND NEW plug which has only been riden on once which was 20 minutes earlier, was black and caked in carbon. Any ideas guys? i have a race coming up, and i need this fixed.... :(

on a side note, i am concerned with the heat levels coming from the engine after such a short run. It is way hotter than i ever remember the atv every being. After 45 seconds of run time, and 5-10 minutes of cool down time, the valve cover will still burn you if even barely touched. But the headers are almost cold? whats up with this?

08-23-2010, 07:15 AM
it could have been just a bad plug. put a new one in and try it again. if it still doing it let us know.

trailrider894
08-23-2010, 10:18 PM
its not the plug.