PDA

View Full Version : chevy guys come out of the wood work.

woodsracer144
08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
ok i need the chevy guys,

what is a 5 speed trans that chevy makes thats a solid setup? it is for a 350 SB bored 30 over cam'd and so on

but i would like to do a cummins swap with it sooner or later,

would a NV4500 work? do they have a small block plate and big block housings for them or what? i know for the ZF5 they are SB and BB, what are your thoughts? right now its got a Turbo 400 in it but the seal leaks on it. I'm buying it from my brother so we'll see how things go.

also how hard is it to swap to a 5 speed? i will be getting lots of body work done to it so what will it take?

thanks

CJM
08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I am not sure if it would bolt up 100%, but the NV4500 would probably be your best bet.

You can easily swap a cummins usually using an adapter of some kind.

However if all that leaks is the rear main its a rather easy fix. Unbolt and replace the seal and be happy.

woodsracer144
08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
i think its the front seal, it my brothers truck but he just called and offered the truck to me and i think the price is fair, he said he would take 2 k for it, the motor doesnt have much time on it but the body needs a little work and i want a little project. I plan to pull this truck.

its a 3/4 ton, so whats the differance with the 1 ton and this truck other then the leafs? are the frames them self different?
the reason i ask is would the motor be too much for this truck? (the cummins)

Last night they had a memorial pull for my buddy Jr. that passes away a few weeks ago, his dad pulled his tractor called "bits and pieces" and it was hard for me to watch it cause i just know how he was a with that tractor. so after lastnight i decided that im gonna start to pull me and a buddy are going to run a ECO mod like he ran, I'm gonna call my tractor Jr. in memory of him and i would like to use this chevy motor from the truck for it and find a oliver rear end. for it and pull it and then have a cummins swap done and use it to pull this around.

I know if you've been following my post lately i've been talking about a ford cummins my cousin has and i was thinking about buying that but i know that i dont have a never ending bank account but i feel is a friend of him i have to never let him be forgotten. Im not really sure what i should do right now, i have some time to think about it and go from there but I hope some one would chime in and help me with what to do, the main reason i wanna run a eco mod is becuase thats what he ran. If i couldnt afford a eco mod i would just pull that chevy truck but i would wanna do a trans swap so i dont have a auto then.

what are your thoughts?

CJM
08-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Cummins is a smaller and weight wise isnt any worse than a 350 chevy or 351w ford imho.

3/4 ton and 1 ton single rear wheel probably are identical, I could be wrong since chevy has SO many options. IE they have a 2500 light and heavy duty, 2500 light duty has 6 lug axles like the 1500 with larger bumpstops for weight in some cases. It gets confusing.

Personally if you have the cash I would buy the cummins powered ford.

BlaineKaiser450
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Im pretty sure the Cummins weighs 1200+ pounds, thats gotta be more than a 350!

CJM
08-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Im pretty sure the Cummins weighs 1200+ pounds, thats gotta be more than a 350!

Does it really? I never removed one, but for a smaller engine imho than a 7.3L it weighs that much???

ETA: I just looked it all up, cummins is like 960, navistar 7.3 is like 950 and a 250 chevy is 500-600lbs.

woodsracer144
08-22-2010, 09:14 PM
im rather open after my ex, so i dont mind telling people things...
i work 40 hours a week and ever other weekend, i make about 2 grand every 5 weeks, my brother wants 2 grand for his chevy, in my mind that is a fair price, he wants 4500,

both trucks are lifted with mud tires, the ford has better ones, made to be studded and ran in the mountains. the chevy has BF goodwrinch's that are starting to fade form the sun beating on them. im sure the chevy has 8 lug axles, i know the ford does.

im going to be buying a work car soon its a 82 vw rabbit with the 1.6 diesel, i have a 93 ranger i will be selling i think cause then i would be able to get that chevy faster, i would only drive the chevy when the weather is really really nasty. the vw is about 5 600.

so in order to buy the cummins and the chevy it would need about 7500, i will not pull a loan, i pay everything in cash. If i sold my 93 ranger i could afford the chevy and the vw right now.

the only reason i would need both those trucks is if i pulled the chevy and the ford was the tow truck

woodsracer144
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
another question, how would a spitter work? I saw a guy doing a pull in a cummins and he has to have a spitter in it, i dont know what else it would be.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhytPzR6AGw&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_243278