PDA

View Full Version : Broke some gears, need help

J250r
08-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Well a bolt came loose inside my bottom end and wrecked a couple gears and chipped a little bit of the case. I've never had any experience with the bottom end so I'm open to all the help you guys can offer. I have a picture to better explain what happened.

http://i33.tinypic.com/33lfa80.png

I colored the chipped teeth red, put a red x on the bolt that came loose and drew a line where the case broke. How much am I looking at spending to get this fixed? I still have the piece that broke off the case so I think that can be patched up pretty easily.

Honda 250r 001
08-22-2010, 06:31 PM
its not going to be expensive for the parts but not sure how expensive welding that case is going to be. under 100 total for the bottom end fix im betting

08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
One question you need to ask and answer is why the bolt came loose? I would bet it is due to excessive vibration…

Take a good look at your counter balancer big bearing case bore and the small bearing bore as well. Inspect both bearings carefully, make sure NO excessive play is present on the bearings, and inspect the counter balancer big bearing bore in the case…this bore should allow the counter balancer big bearing to be a slight press fit to the case, a firm push with NO play hand fit.

I have seen quite a few cases with bearing bores on the loose side, needing case repair, even in engine cases I have “babied” over the years…

J250r
08-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks carlos for that information. I'll have to check that out. What about the gear on the counter balancer shaft? Do I need to order a whole new counterbalancer or can a new gear be put on the shaft? Is it pressed on?

08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Check the gears out carefully, the one on the counter balancer needs to be pressed out & replaced, find your favorite builder or parts source and have the counter balancer rebuilt…currently there is a whole thread on this forum about having your counter balancer rebuilt or check eBay for used or rebuilt counter balancers…

If you find your case bores are loose or worn out, call BDT Motorsports @ 909-802-6516, they rebuilt my case bores and saved my cases, they turned out like new...