PDA

View Full Version : Chain becoming loose?

quadman21
08-22-2010, 05:48 PM
What are some things to look at (investigate)iff my chain will not stay tight? i.e. I can adjust & lube my chain before a long ride but before the ride is done I find myself tightening it. I have a Honda450 and have never had any isssues when any Honda I have owned. So I'm a little baffled. Any suggestions?

Flyin_250r
08-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Are you sure the bolts on your swingarm that hold your carrier are tight? Worn bearings maybe? Thats where id start looking

Honda 250r 001
08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I have the exact same issue. i bought new sprockets, chain, bearing carrier, swingarm bearings, and i still have to mess with my chain before every time i go ridin

rayman375
08-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Next time you tighten it draw a line with a marker across the visible part of the carrier onto the swingarm for a reference mark. Check it after a ride or two to see if it has moved. Do you have a good quality chain?

quadman21
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Yes. When I first started to notice it I was running a renthal X-ring that I had close to a year. I then replaced it with a primary drive O-ring. I have a new gold X- ring chain and new sprockets I haven't installed yet. I've considered the factor of a new chain stretching and having to re-adjust. However what is an average time period to break a new chain in?