PDA

View Full Version : help

Moparkido
08-22-2010, 09:14 AM
If I get a set of stage 2 cams do I need to change anything else?

cataway
08-22-2010, 10:34 AM
what are you calling stage 2 ? just old and new style.
hotcams never made a stage 2 cam for the drz/ltz/dvx/kfx

yellowzo3
08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
You'll need to get a valve shim kit to adjust the valves correctly or else it won't run right once you install the cams.

Here's the Hot Cams Valve Shim kit which includes a large assortment of shims in all different sizes. It's a little pricey but if you're getting into engine work and all that it'll probably come in handy over the years:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=14&navTitle=Engine&webTypeId=204&webCatId=17&prodFamilyId=10839

yellowzo3
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by cataway
what are you calling stage 2 ? just old and new style.
hotcams never made a stage 2 cam for the drz/ltz/dvx/kfx

They stopped making them years ago but back in the day Hot Cams did offer Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits.

Stage 1 was just the intake cam and Stage 2 included both the intake and exhaust cam. People were pretty bummed when Hot Cams stopped offering the Stage 2 kit.

However I just checked on Rocky Mountain and saw that you can still buy both the exhaust and intake cams (Only Stage 1 though).

I had the old style Hot Cams and something tells me they had 2 different sets of cams... One was more aggressive than the other. I'm not 100% sure if that's true or not but something in my mind keeps telling me that... I put the cams in back in like 2004 so my memory is a little blurry as far as the Hot Cams situation goes. Unless it was just that Hot Cams eliminated the option of buying the exhaust cam and somewhere down the line reinstated the option (seeing as its available again on Rocky Mountain).

cataway
08-22-2010, 12:39 PM
well my info came from Steve beaver of hotcams . i have had several correspondents with the man and he said hotcams never offered any thing called a stage II for the ltz .

what we ''call'' stage II is really a mix of the old and the new.
but some people seam to think the old style is one stage and the new a different stage .
Hotcam- Newstyle ...........9.1 @ 238*both Int and Exh
Hotcam- called Stage 2..............9.6 @243 Int and 9.1 @ 238* Exh
Hotcam- Oldstyle ............................9.6 @243* both Int and Exh

in the past i did run with 9.6 @243 Int and 9.1 @ 238* Exh. it works , not the best for the bigger BBK builds

hotcams is also supposed to be coming out with some thing they call a builder cam, still waiting to see what that's going to be

Moparkido
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I found them on ltzcentral. The guys has posted on there stage 2 hot cams.

yellowzo3
08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
well my info came from Steve beaver of hotcams . i have had several correspondents with the man and he said hotcams never offered any thing called a stage II for the ltz

If you check out Z400central and search the site you'll see many many threads on Stage 1, Stage 2, and new style Hot Cams. I know back in the day they offered Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits. I remember ordering the Stage 2.

It's odd that he would say they never offered it when everyone refers to their stuff as Stage 1 and Stage 2. :p

Moparkido, can you link us to the add so Cataway could tell you which cams and stuff they are.

cataway
08-22-2010, 03:33 PM
there is another thing that confuses some guys on stage I and stage II

you can if you like just change one cam at a time ,normally it would be the intake that gets changed if only one cam gets put in and they would call it stage I then when the exhaust cam is also put in they call that stage II.

its really had to say what your going to get till it gets to you

i suspect its the new type in & ex

yellowzo3
08-22-2010, 04:55 PM
there is another thing that confuses some guys on stage I and stage II

you can if you like just change one cam at a time ,normally it would be the intake that gets changed if only one cam gets put in and they would call it stage I then when the exhaust cam is also put in they call that stage II.

its really had to say what your going to get till it gets to you

i suspect its the new type in & ex

Yeah I know what you mean by that... But for some reason I thought the old style cams were a little more aggressive, which is the reason a lot of guys over on Z400central request the old style cams when they're shopping around the classifieds.

If only it were 5 or so years ago, I'd have no trouble remembering all about this :p

Moparkido
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
heres the link to it http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/62-performance-parts-f-s/80565-huge-part-out-hot-cams-exhuast-435cc-bottom-end-ect.html

yellowzo3
08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Those are probably the new style stage 2 cams... He would have mentioned if they were old style. See if you can work out a deal to get one of those shim kits as well. You'll be needing it.