PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 03 LTZ not running properly anyone?

markcoleman
08-22-2010, 06:21 AM
OK so I have a 2003 LTZ400 that was running fine and now seems like i can not get it to run right. Fires up idles and when you give it fuel breaks up and dies. I put it in gear and it dies I have cleaned carburetor and rebuilt it. I replaced ignition box I did find out that my ignition box feel out of holder and some wires got cut or freaed I fixed them and still no luck... can any help me with this weird issue??? At Idle you can rev it up usually no issues but as as it goes it to gear it dies or spit and sputters.. now seems like its getting worse even at idle

cataway
08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by markcoleman
OK so I have a 2003 LTZ400 that was running fine and now seems like i can not get it to run right. Fires up idles and when you give it fuel breaks up and dies. I put it in gear and it dies I have cleaned carburetor and rebuilt it. I replaced ignition box I did find out that my ignition box feel out of holder and some wires got cut or freaed I fixed them and still no luck... can any help me with this weird issue??? At Idle you can rev it up usually no issues but as as it goes it to gear it dies or spit and sputters.. now seems like its getting worse even at idle tell us your jetting

markcoleman
08-22-2010, 10:57 AM
HI Cataway,

I don't think it's jetting brother... It was running great last week. I had a moose ignition on it, I was riding down the trail and it started acting up I looked down and my ignition box bouncing off the chain/ frame.. I put it back in and wheeler started acting funny. Took it home and found a broke wire and a few that were missing the protective insulation.. Fixed them up and its seems better for a bit. Now i can barely get it to start back fires a little runs for a min push throttle and bog's way out.. when it was running decent at idle i could slam throttle rev it up i put it in gear and it would die right out or start spitting and sputtering.. I installed a new stock ignition yesterday, had the carb basically rebuilt yesterday and today its worse,,, I thought maybe bad wires still?? I'm lost .. :-(

cataway
08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
well you may have to get a different wiring harness , hard to say from here

markcoleman
08-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah that is what i was thinking brother.. I guess it might be wire? But I'm not 100% sure if it int just a BAD carb ;-( Anyone else got any ideas??

ifixtheyride
08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
yeah check the neutral switch it has feedback to CDI in every gear when bad it acts like a rev limiter in gear. It's just a switch and it is not plated the copper oxidizes and has poor contact. Worth checking you can ohm it out

markcoleman
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
@ ifixtheyride... Yeah that actually sounds just like the issue brother.. its so weird. Can you tell me where the Neutral safety switch is on the 03 Z? Is there a way to clean it? Whats the best thing for me to do>?

ifixtheyride
08-24-2010, 05:53 AM
located right behind your shifter. Take it off careful there is an o ring plus when removed a spring. You can brush the contacts. I don't have diagram in front of me but you can jumper the thing out to test.

markcoleman
08-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks brother.. The rain has finally stopped up here and im gonna get some time to go out there today and check this out Hopefully this will solve my issues :-)

markcoleman
08-24-2010, 09:57 AM
OK tried the neutral safety switch wasn't that.. BUT i did rip my carb down again this time I set the float level really low and it runs allot better but still bogging at low rpm's. If i slam the throttle it bogs and sputters then will rev up.. I can drive it now but have to keep the RPM's up really HIGH!

I still am thinking carburetor? With the needle jet and float set lower and now its running a bit better i can actually drive it around KINDDA..LOL .... that means i was getting too much fuel? Correct?

markcoleman
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
OK!!! This is the craziest thing ever!! Coil wire was BAD.. :-( OMG the whole time a simple freaking fix and I have gone over hole hill after mole hill ...LOL :-) thanks for all yr help guys :-)

Z-Rider86
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Man that's typical, you try everything, rack your brain trying to find the solution and the whole time it is a simple quick fix! At least now ur back up and running

markcoleman
09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm back to square one... Still running OK.. after about 5/ 10 minutes of riding it shuts down, Wont start for about 5 to 10 minutes and then runs again then shuts down.... it's all acting up every once and a while.. ;-9 LOVE LOVE this Z but its making me mad! :-)