PDA

View Full Version : crank issues

jeff malone
08-21-2010, 10:36 PM
i have a 04 450r. it has been ported , 13-1 piston, and a cam, the other day it stoped running, i tore it apart today. the ring/washer on the left side of the crank is missing and was sent throughout the motor what would cause this piece to fail. recently i rode with poor gas and the quad detonated alot while riding. could this cause it. what kind of crank should i get to replace

Ruf Racing
08-22-2010, 07:39 AM
That would be your thrust washer. I don't know why they fail, but it is a common issue with the 04/05 models. Either replace with OEM crank, or Crank Works. I'm running a +3 CW for several years now, with no problems. :D

jeff malone
08-22-2010, 07:56 AM
thanks, hows your quad run against other 450's, normally i run the guts out of my quad, racing and so forth. ,how would a stroker crank hold up to that, less reliable or nearly no diference

Ruf Racing
08-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Mine runs great. I only ride with another 06 piped 450R. Obviously I walk away from him, he'll be pegged out in 5th gear,
I'm beside him in 4th, then I stab it, hit 5th, goodbye. Just stroking the engine won't have huge gains. When I did mine, I bored, stroked, ported the head, installed a bored FCR, and cam.
Reliability has been great, no major issues. If you go with a CW stroker crank, you might want to have it balanced with your piston. I have ran balanced and unbalanced CW cranks, with not much of a noticable difference. Good luck.