PDA

View Full Version : Should i be worried?

hondariderdylan
08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I will try to make this story short. Basically a while back (mid june) i got a call from a friend of mine at 1 in the morning that she had ran her car off in the ditch at the end of my road. so i got up and dressed and rode down there. as soon as i stopped she ran up to me with a pile of road signs she had stolen in her hands and threw them in my lap telling me to go hide them. I said okay trying to help the poor chick out (we had dated before, it ended nasty but i had gotten over it) so i start riding back up the road and started thinking. wait. this is stolen property, i dont want it on me. so i took it down the road a ways and threw them off on the side and told her where they were because she wanted to come back and get them. Then went back to help her.

Now she has been caught and is trying to bring me down with her as an accessory to the whole deal. what should i do?

i know i was wrong in taking them in the first place, but she was freaking out thinking the cops were going to show up and bust her. i still liked the girl and thats the only reason i took the in the first place. anyone know the justice system better than i do?

CJM
08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
You can:
1. Tell the truth and see where it takes you.

2. Tell them you only picked her up and deny the rest.

Obviously she has no moral dilemma trading you for a lesser fine or whatever so why should care what happens to her.

Id do #2 personally.

Pappy
08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Is there a reward for helping convict the people involved in all this:devil:

hondariderdylan
08-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Is there a reward for helping convict the people involved in all this:devil:

i wish:(

i would have probably already won though, because my friend works for the county and was talking about people stealing signs from all over and i tipped him off on her name because i was still a little mad from something she had done to me. not sure if thats what got her caught or not.

DnB_racing
08-22-2010, 08:09 AM
dude your an accomplice plain and simple!!! you knowingly hid stolen property, depending on how many signs, your talking about a major fine, and probation and a record! get a lawyer and explain the whole thing, good luck!!!

EDIT:::: I was just checking on line as long as the total cost of the signs is under 1000 then its a misdemeanor and could be 1000 dollar fine, but if over 1000 dollars worth of signs then it a felony and that would be alot worse

hondariderdylan
08-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
dude your an accomplice plain and simple!!! you knowingly hid stolen property, depending on how many signs, your talking about a major fine, and probation and a record! get a lawyer and explain the whole thing, good luck!!!

dam.
and btw i believe that it was just the signs off of an intersection of two roads and one other road sign, so 3.

DnB_racing
08-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Did you read my edit? it sound like you should be ok. from what I read they take some signs more serious then others(like danger and caution) you probably should expect 1000 fine. but give a lawyer a call and be honest to him and see what he says

hondariderdylan
08-22-2010, 08:32 AM
lol i did now.

thanks for the opinion. anyone else?

dpizz450
08-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by CJM
You can:
1. Tell the truth and see where it takes you.

2. Tell them you only picked her up and deny the rest.

Obviously she has no moral dilemma trading you for a lesser fine or whatever so why should care what happens to her.

Id do #2 personally.

This. I know it seems like the wrong thing to do, is lie. But she is trying to screw you over pretty badly.

How exactly is she trying to bring you down with her? Did she tell the cops you stole the signs or what exactly happened? Need a little more details.

honda250xrider
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
This may make some angry but Lie- it will be a hassle to have any type of criminal record many companies nowadays are even asking if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor charge.

If you are ever interviewed they will try every trick in the book to get you to admit to it, such as face serious jail time, fines, even say your parents may be charged etc. Don't by into it.

You will be fine if you keep your mouth shut, and stick to your story.

If this ever goes through to the courts, after being found not guilty have your case sealed so this does not show up on your criminal record report. Even charges that you were found guilty can show up so it is best if you get the case sealed asap.

JJs450r
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
i think stealing sign is an automatic felony because it deals with endangerment and all that stuff, id go to a lawyer and see what they say

hondariderdylan
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by dpizz450
This. I know it seems like the wrong thing to do, is lie. But she is trying to screw you over pretty badly.

How exactly is she trying to bring you down with her? Did she tell the cops you stole the signs or what exactly happened? Need a little more details.

well i figured out that it was my tip to my buddy working for the county that got her caught and she is PISSED at me now. she told me that i was going to get it for being an accessory because she gave me the signs and i threw them off on the side of the road because i didnt want them on me or at my house.

CJM
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
She has no proof you did anything and neither do the police. You just tell them you picked her up nothing more. She will claim otherwise and you explain shes an ex, you felt bad for her but your sympathy ends there.

Basically she is willing to turn you in so she gets a lesser fine/whatever-THEREFORE you should have no qualms making her take the rap for it totally. Because she could have just said she did it period..but she didnt-what does that tell you about her character?

Its her word vs yours, she is already in trouble so she isnt even believe able this point. Tell them you just picked her upm,t hey ask more refuse to speak period without a lawyer.

hondariderdylan
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by CJM
She has no proof you did anything and neither do the police. You just tell them you picked her up nothing more. She will claim otherwise and you explain shes an ex, you felt bad for her but your sympathy ends there.

Basically she is willing to turn you in so she gets a lesser fine/whatever-THEREFORE you should have no qualms making her take the rap for it totally. Because she could have just said she did it period..but she didnt-what does that tell you about her character?

Its her word vs yours, she is already in trouble so she isnt even believe able this point. Tell them you just picked her upm,t hey ask more refuse to speak period without a lawyer.

thanks for the advice. and no, i have no problem with her picking up the tab for what SHE did wrong.

im debating in my mind what to do. Im trying to think if there is anyway she can prove any of it.

CJM
08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
No problem.

I do not think she has any proof at all based on your story. She has no video, audio or anything-just her telling them you did it.

rbgnwa45
08-22-2010, 03:08 PM
You didn't do much wrong.

You could tell them that she threw them on your lap and you immediately through them out the window, got mad and drove away, and then went back to get her.

You aren't an accomplice if you had no idea of what she was doing. On the other hand, they might see it like how people get charged for their friends committing crimes when you were just driving them around and had no idea they would do something. Just because your friend commits a crime doesn't mean you're guilty of something.

You ought to lie, your ex stole things and is blaming it on you, like you were the getaway driver. :rolleyes:

slightlybent47
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Get a lawyer, everyone is telling you to lie , that she has no proof, but this thread is proof that you took the sins from her and dumped them because you had second thoughts about what you did. This thread can be evidence of what you say you did if they get a hold of it.

Guy400
08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
No, you don't lie. You tell the cops exactly what happened. She called you cause she said her car was in the ditch, you showed up and she threw signs into your truck, she then tells you they were stolen and you threw them out. End of story. But I would absolutely get a lawyer if she's going to push this.

As far as this site being possible evidence, that's absolutely true. Years ago when this site was under different ownership a young member made a comment about being sick of being picked on at school and how he was going to go do a Columbine type of deal. Whether it was serious or not that information was given to the FBI. The FBI collected that thread as well as all other comments he ever posted. An agent also made a screen name here to watch any other comments he made. Ultimately, the FBI did go to this kid's house and speak with his parents.

mc_racer
08-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Tell the truth, as soon as you start a lie, you will get caught and then nothing you say will be trusted.
Example, as soon as you say you don't know anything about the signs they will ask how you knew she had taken them. Now you are busted and at their mercy.

Only you can compromise your own integrity, nobody else. Once you do that, you can't get it back.
Do the right thing, be honest, it will turn out better.

CJM
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
The main problem I see is it seems to me that the way hes telling the story is the girl is totally pinning it all on him-thus shes already lying.

buck440
08-24-2010, 02:49 PM
my room is bordered with street signs lol. you can just slide them off their holders...but any who i would deny the whole thing. obviously someone seen her and not you so hold the truth like a jew holds a penny and deny:bandit: :muscle:

yam450_53
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds to me like she's a real *****. As stated before you should talk to a lawyer, matter of fact that's what you should have done in the first place although I can understand that's not always the first thing you might think of when you're in panic. You should also get rid of this thread because it is clearly displaying evidence of your acts.

Also, the story doesn't make any sense at all, why did she even steal road signs in the first place? I have a hard time seeing what would motivate her to do that. And why did she crash her car in a ditch? Drunk driving?

Tommy Warren
08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
she sounds like a complete nut job...I like her...I know if you steal a stop sign its attempted murder and it may be the same for turn signs... I say lie until your blue in the face...it worked for OJ so its worth a try

mxduner
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
get a lawyer!

do not talk to ANYBODY ABOUT THIS! as it seems you are probably around many more of her kind.

If any enforcment or detective comes to talk to you. DO NOT. they will try to talk you into admitting anything and promise you a free ride, and they will even just try with a simple question, and then they set you in a trap. they are trained at doing this and get a rise out of this.

quite frankly take the advise given by all here and delete this thread

bryan.young1
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
sorry to laugh but lying might be out of the question now that there is a written record that someone might be able to use against you if they were ever to stumble upon it.. just saying you may have wanted to decide to lie about it before posting it on a message board (however obscure ATV riders might be) :) hope she gets all the blame on this one for trying to throw you under the bus. sigh... that price of fur just keeps going up doesn't it.. when i was younger all you lost was a bit of pride and your friends ridiculed you for couple of weeks now you get $1000 dollar fines and a criminal record for sign stealing????... good luck brother

hondariderdylan
08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
well. it seems to me like the cops are not too worried about it. I was supposed to be called up monday to talk about it and here it is the end of wednesday and i havent heard a thing:confused:

slightlybent47
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
It may all come down to credibility so tell the truth, and let them know that she was just trying to set you up for turning her in, and once you realized what she was doing you dumped the sins and wanted nothing to do with it or her.