PDA

View Full Version : i got a few questons

hocman123
08-21-2010, 02:49 PM
first of all i had to replace my rear bearings i removed everthing today got the axel out and i had a lot of dirt in there. but everthing looks fine and reusable

one of the bearings is loose the other has stopped moving but idk how to ram them out does it only go in one way ? is there a snap ring i can't see b/c of the dirt? or what else can i do to remove them the only thing i did was try to pound on it with a hammer and a block of wood did move but didn't do it to hard didn't want to break anything

second i was looking at my chain and it had some funny ware so i checked the sproket and the front one is bad so i need a new one but i was wondering if i should change the size it is a 15 up front not sure the back but i am sure it is stock. but i just but on a new set of 22 in tires so what is a good size to compinsate ?

o yea and the only mods on it is a stage 1 hot cam

thanks ahead of time

honda400ex2003
08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
i hit mine out with a chisel from the opposite side. they only go out from each side also not through. once you get one out, the sleeve in the middle can come out and it makes the other one much easier to get out. put the new ones in the freezer for a half hour or so right before you put them in, this will shrink them and make them go in easier. a big socket to fit on the outside of the bearings will work to slide them in if you are careful about it. sliding the seals in can be done the same very carefully. sometimes you can slide them in easy enough with your hand. DONT FORGET to put the spacer back in!!! after that, install it all again, make sure to put lock tight on the threads of the axle nuts and torque it to the correct specs! If you dont have a manual, download one and get them or let me know and i will get them tonight for you.

I would do all of the sprockets at the same time, along with a chain. once they start to wear in it is harder on the set to put a new one in. it will just make the rest wear faster.
as for the front sprocket, 22s with the same gearing (or at least close to it) would require a 14 tooth front sprocket.

steve

tri5ron
08-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Everything Steve said is spot on.

I will add,
It is always a good idea to CLEAN everything, before POUNDING anything. you have better odds of not breaking something.

also I have to ask,...

you have a aftermarket cam, on a STOCK exhaust and intake???, Why???

hocman123
08-21-2010, 03:23 PM
no wonder the wood and hammer did not work i think my friend has a nice chisel set with a few long ones i will give it a try

and thanks for the tips with putting the new bearings in sure it will make the job a bit easier

i had the manual on my computer don't any more. lucky for me i had given it to my dad and he went to work and printed out the manual and put 3 holes in it as it printed. i really wanted something i can read when working outside on the atv so thats not a problem

i did plan on buying a new set after seeing them on ebay for good prices

thanks steve

hocman123
08-21-2010, 03:28 PM
well i bought the atv it had the hot cam in it and i hope to replace the exhaust soon but i had to rebuild the top end now i need a new timing chain and new bearings ( and yes i should have done the chain when i did the rebuild but u live and learn) so just have not had the money for it yet

but i am not sure what u mean by intake port and polish i am guessing but not sure

i also want to get new exhaust new air filter and grind my header welds down at the same time so i only need to rejet once

CJM
08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Im gonna be helping him guys so lemme just ask/splain a bit:

-Locktite the allen head bolts on the actual swinger?

-You remove the bearings from the side they are on. IE: you take the chisel and pound them out each side not down into the tube? how the heck do I get the chisel in there, or just push it in best I can? Pictures would help..

-We did ok other than not having those huge wrenches for the axle. I used a giant pair of channel locks and it didnt bugger the nuts to badly.

-We had no idea it even had an aftermarket cam till we redid the topend. no idea why the previous owner even did it. Sadly we didnt redo the timing chain and it must be stretched since he blew out 2 tensioners.

honda400ex2003
08-21-2010, 03:52 PM
dont reuse the old ones thats for sure! steve

CJM
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Obviously steve lol.

But how is it thatyou hammer them out, kinda put the chisel in there and whack downwards? Ie between the bearing and spacer??? manual leaves alot to be desired in this respect.

While we are at it, I convinced him to maybe spring for non honda parts. What does everyone think of:

-all balls bearings
-primary drive sprockets
-primary drive chain

honda400ex2003
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
yup thats how i do mine, just get a 7" chisel and hit them down till flat then i put it in a vice and hit them out the rest of the way. any bearings are about the same so all balls are ok. they didnt last any longer than my stockers i have had as replacements. primary drive will be alright too for a cheaper set of chain and sprockets imo. they will get the job done. lol steve

honda400ex2003
08-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im gonna be helping him guys so lemme just ask/splain a bit:

-Locktite the allen head bolts on the actual swinger?

-You remove the bearings from the side they are on. IE: you take the chisel and pound them out each side not down into the tube? how the heck do I get the chisel in there, or just push it in best I can? Pictures would help..

-We did ok other than not having those huge wrenches for the axle. I used a giant pair of channel locks and it didnt bugger the nuts to badly.

-We had no idea it even had an aftermarket cam till we redid the topend. no idea why the previous owner even did it. Sadly we didnt redo the timing chain and it must be stretched since he blew out 2 tensioners.

just lock tight the big nuts and the threaded sleeve not the bolts to the swinger. I would say that the tools to do are were some of the best money i have spent on tools. g force ones are cheap and will work with either 1/2 or 3/8" torque wrenches. the manual will show you what to use when using which wrench also. steve

dalejiw25
08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Put your carrier in the oven @ 250 for about 10 -15 mins. Tap the carrier on the bench and the bearings should fall out. Freezing the new ones and placing them in the hot carrier they will fall right in also.

tri5ron
08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Pappy did a write up sometime back.
this may help.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

CJM
08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, hoping to get this all done soon.

Good advice on the oven, ive done it before but didnt come to mind today.

CJM
08-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks again guys :)

dalejiw25
08-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Here Ya Go:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305998

honda400ex2003
08-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Pappy did a write up sometime back.
this may help.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

im keeping that one around for later. thanks ron, also hows the thing coming along? :devil: lol steve

tri5ron
08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
im keeping that one around for later. thanks ron, also hows the thing coming along? :devil: lol steve Hey Steve,
That one is easy to find, it's in the "How To's" section. Alot of people forget to check that section out, so it's good to bring it up once in a while.

as far as the "thing" goes my buddy is working on it, but not sure if he's going to get it done for me today.
I'm" technology challenged " and could use some help with a photoshop job.
Anyone ???? A little help here.
PM me.

Pipeless416
08-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
im keeping that one around for later. thanks ron, also hows the thing coming along? :devil: lol steve

what thing lol :ermm: :blah:

tri5ron
08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
what thing lol :ermm: :blah: OH,... It's coming Pal,...
And it's got YOU, right in the crosshairs ,.... LOL ! ! !

hocman123
08-21-2010, 09:52 PM
yea i used that link to help me take the carrier out but it didn't say how to remove the bearing after u got them out

but thanks dalejiw25 for that link i will look back on it when time comes to put it all together

also wondering what if anything this think will be