PDA

View Full Version : so screwed.... so awfully screwed lol

DGR Designs
02-05-2003, 12:00 PM
well as some of you may know, i was starting up a small buisness with the quad parts. well today i went out to see about maybe a small buisness loan and now i have so much paper pushin to do its not funny lol. the main thing is market research and a small buisness plan. anybody have experience with these? so in other words, my products may be delayed for a while untill i get some equipment. ANY help would be appreciated!
~Dave

Str8Wicked
02-05-2003, 12:09 PM
The best thing you can do in a small business is always have a goal to meet. If you do not set goals for your business you will go under. It does not matter if you meet the goals late or early as long as you are always going for them. Once each goal is set you make another business goal.

Good Luck,...

Loeryder
02-05-2003, 12:32 PM
1st goal = get rich quick
2nd goal = retire tomorrow

K now what?

lol

I know it takes a lot to run your own business.
Myself, I enjoy leaving at 5 and not caring if the place burns down till 9 the next morning.
And Sat and Sun are my days, I don't work them, period.

Pretty much leaves me out of running my own thang.

Chanman420q
02-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Loeryder
1st goal = get rich quick
2nd goal = retire tomorrow

K now what?

lol

I know it takes a lot to run your own business.
Myself, I enjoy leaving at 5 and not caring if the place burns down till 9 the next morning.
And Sat and Sun are my days, I don't work them, period.

Pretty much leaves me out of running my own thang.

thats why u pay someone else to do it for you :D

JUSTINcredible
02-05-2003, 02:41 PM
talk to other small buisness in your area and see how they got started

Doibugu2
02-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by DGR Designs
well as some of you may know, i was starting up a small buisness with the quad parts. well today i went out to see about maybe a small buisness loan and now i have so much paper pushin to do its not funny lol. the main thing is market research and a small buisness plan. anybody have experience with these? so in other words, my products may be delayed for a while untill i get some equipment. ANY help would be appreciated!
~Dave

Welcome to the real F'n world. Filled with crappy paperwork and other stuff no one wants to do.

But your best resource is going to be other companies like yourself or other atv stores. Go into these stores and talk with these people. If you get the right person you will get some great info. They may also give you contacts to other vendors you can use.

Also, talk with the people at the small business bureu. They should have all sorts of info they can provide you with.

Good Luck!

Glow Plug
02-05-2003, 03:43 PM
that sucks that you got'a wait to get your bisness going but i don't think you'll mind when your doing what you love to do leagaly (sp?)

ridered03
02-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Yea well when you get all that straitened out I think You will fair really well because of how u do your business you ask people of what they think before you make it.

EricB
02-05-2003, 05:29 PM
hmm i would help you but you have neons on your 400ex...hehe just kidding.

but you might want to give jeff or someone a holler at the quad shop. they seem to have been doing really well, maybe they can let you in on a few secrets.

yellowex01
02-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I started mine about 9years ago.. The best advice I could give ya is to have enough cash in the back to carry you through the slow times, cuz its going to happen, Nothing you can do about it. Business plan isnt that hard. It should be short and brief, dont make it too long or the bank will lose interest in reading it. If you are going to open a store front, get a lawyer and accountant. If I was you I would start out of my garage or a small warehouse, if you are going to do most of your business on the net and phone.
The extra cash on hand is the biggest . The reason most businesses fail is lack of cash flow. They have enough money to open, but nothing to pay the bills, (dont forget your personal bills). They think that as soon as the doors open money will flow. WRONG.. And if you cant handle always waiting on your money, not knowing if your bills will get paid on time, then dont get into it. Your creditors dont care if your customers arent paying they still want theres net 10 days.. Not trying to deter you but put alot of thought into it. And who ever said working for yourself means less hours and more money where idiots... I am waiting on payment of about $14,000 right now..... OUCH.. Hope this helps ..

MeatHead
02-05-2003, 09:04 PM
yellowex01 -- Well said. This is the reason the company I work for is still around. The owners kept enough cash around that they could carry us through the slow times. Which we are just getting out of a really long slow time. Now that we are getting PO's coming in, and have work to do again, things are looking up. But it will still be at least another month or two before we can start seeing payments coming in from the work. This is also one of the reason I am working for someone else right now. I am not sure if it is worth it to me at this point.

660bigdaddy
02-06-2003, 07:10 AM
ya i helped my brother write a business plan w/ demographics and all that other crap. when we were finished. we decided his idea would probably go down the toilet.:ermm:

yellowex01
02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Almost forgot, you better have enough for advertising.. Around here a Cable tv add goes for a minimum of $4000 a month.. and you have to run it for a couple of months to get your name out there. If you open a store front, remember LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.... and enough room for parking.. I truely believe someone in your position could rent a warehouse very cheap, and do everything off the internet and phone sales.. Very little overhead and you earning potential is endless. I would only open a store front if I was going to sell quads and bikes and offer repairs on them. Here retail space goes for about $18 a foot average, warehousing goes around $4 a foot average.. Big difference when you talk 2,000 square foot.. I say go for it, if you dont you will always wonder WHAT IF..

When I did my business plan I had graphs done by how many cars went in front of the store front I was looking at. I can tell you how many whites, blacks and anyone else that lives in a 10 mile radius of the store. I can also tell you the average income the residents make, how many are single, and divorced, I pulled out all the stops... :)