PDA

View Full Version : Definately going to need help figuring this out??

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:30 AM
So, something in the rear is just not lining up. To start with, I have replaced the bearing carrier with a new East Coast ATV one. After puting everything back together I noticed I had a clearance issue with the rear brake rotor. Its almost as if I left someting out. It seems as though the brake hub goes in too far. Whats going on here? Any ideas?

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:31 AM
another shot

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:34 AM
another

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:35 AM
here is a picture with the caliper raised up.

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:38 AM
This picture and the next show where the rotor has been turning against the caliper. Evidently I had this issue even before I replaced the bearing carrier.

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:38 AM
and another

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
couple more pictures without the caliper in place

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:40 AM
another

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:41 AM
last one.

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Btw. I also noticed that I couldnt quite get the plunger on the brake caliper to push all the way back in to put on new brake pads. So thats not working either. Looks like I need some help.

TCracin440ex
08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
you dont have the locknut as tight as it could possibly get. when i put locknuts on i always got a long pole and put on the wrench and turned it and torqued it down. and that pushed the brake rotor hub up into the bearing carrier. if you look at the pics you have posted you will see the gap between the rotor hub and the carrier itself

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I had it tight but losened it again so I could get it off and take the pics. Normally I would have it plenty tight but as you can see its not the hub going in thats the problem. In fact if it goes in even a smidge more the caliper wont go on at all. If anything the hub needs to stop so it wont go in as far. The rotor needs to go to the right.

DnB_racing
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
but by tightening the locking hub more it will pull the Axel into the bearing carrier, bringing the whole axle to the right and allowing the rotor to be in the right place!

as far as the caliper try lubing and cleaning and put old pad in and compress with a clamp

fearlessfred
08-21-2010, 07:11 PM
it seems like the spacer between the bearings is to short.i would measure the distance between the outside face of the bearings on the stock unit and the new one and old one,and see if they are the same

TCracin440ex
08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
but by tightening the locking hub more it will pull the Axel into the bearing carrier, bringing the whole axle to the right and allowing the rotor to be in the right place!

as far as the caliper try lubing and cleaning and put old pad in and compress with a clamp

exactly what i said. he should have posted a few pics of the sprocket side too because i imagine the sprocket side needs to go in a lil more.

you could also try to take a board and put over the end of your axle on the sprocket side and hit it with a bfh. that should get it slid over enough to get that rotor to clear the brake caliper.

have somebody hold the board with the wide side agains the axle end and just wack the shyt out of it. that away it wont mushroom the end of your axle

D Bergstrom
08-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Tightening the axle nut more will not help anything. The brake hub is splined just like the axle and there is no "stop" on the axle, the brake hub sets against the axle bearing itself. You can take the axle out and the hub still sits in the same place. Even if the sprocket side is not all the way in, tighting it will not move the brake hub anywhere. Fearlessfred had one idea, wrong spacer installed in the carrier, but looking at the picture you took without the caliper, the brake hub looks like it is at the correct depth. (Went out and looked at my 450R's out in the garage, brake hubs look like the same distance from the brake plate as yours.) Is your rotor bent? Maybe only touching at one location? Once you put it together, does the rotor rub the entire way around?

Sorry, don't really have to many ideas, never had this problem before.

Doug

jkiserracing
08-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Tightening the axle nut more will not help anything. The brake hub is splined just like the axle and there is no "stop" on the axle, the brake hub sets against the axle bearing itself. You can take the axle out and the hub still sits in the same place.

Doug
Thats exactly whats going on. No the rotor is fine. I have 2 and I switched it out. Same thing. The only thing I can come up with is that the thickness of the left side on the carrier (where the adjustment is) is too much and not allowing the carrier to go in quite as far as it needs. Or like what was stated, that spacer tube is just a hair too short. My old one basically blew apart on me so I have no way of measuring it. I dont know what to do....

fearlessfred
08-21-2010, 08:29 PM
im guessing that u guys are thinking that the left side bearing is not pressed in far enough ,if it isnt i would use a press to get in the right depth. u should only press or beat on the outer race and never the inner. sorry tc after rereading your post i see i kinda repeated what said ,but im thinking the inner spacer is to short .not the bearing not pressed far enough

fearlessfred
08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
Thats exactly whats going on. No the rotor is fine. I have 2 and I switched it out. Same thing. The only thing I can come up with is that the thickness of the left side on the carrier (where the adjustment is) is too much and not allowing the carrier to go in quite as far as it needs. Or like what was stated, that spacer tube is just a hair too short. My old one basically blew apart on me so I have no way of measuring it. I dont know what to do.... i would give the seller a call on monday,i believe it is there error and not yours

Scro
08-21-2010, 09:25 PM
That looks like a fairly large gap between the brake caliper mount and the swinger. Is there a noticable amount of play between them, or is it tight? It's possible that may be a 400ex carrier.

TCracin440ex
08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
scro if im not mistaken i think the 400ex and the 450r carrier are the same.

i still say that the sprocket side needs to be slid over alot more. like i said try a hammer with a board and beat on it some. it might move the axle far enough to the right to keep the rotor from hitting the caliper. but i bet any mount of money that lock nut wont tightened up enough. when i put my locknut on i always used a big adjustable wrench with a cheater bar on it so it was bout 3 or 4ft long and id have somebody sit on my quad so i could tighten without pickin it up

D Bergstrom
08-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Scro might be on to something. The first picture you posted without the caliper, see the gap between the brake stay and the swingarm? I just looked at my 450R's and they do not have the gap yours does. Is the brake stay pushed over all the way?

Also, is your circlip all the way seated? Kind of hard to tell, but it almost looks like the top is not fully in the notch, plus it looks like the ends are further apart then they should be in your second to last pic. Again, kind of hard to tell from your pic, and me out in my dark garage!

Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i still say that the sprocket side needs to be slid over alot more.

The sprocket could be out a half inch and the brake hub all the way against the carrier bearing. You can push the sprocket hub all the way in, the brake hub won't move. There is nothing on the axle that will "catch" the brake hub and push it over.

Doug

KEVIN132
08-22-2010, 07:26 AM
do you have the spacer on the sprocket side installed??

jkiserracing
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok I do see this space your talking about and you are correct. It does look like the circlip is not seated all the way. However the two tabs on the back side of this brake stay is preventing it from going any further. You can see in the picture.

If in fact this peice would go over against the swingarm more I think my problem would be solved. But I didnt think it was supposed to go over any more (due to these 2 tabs)

As for the carrier being one for a 400ex. I don't know. And as was mentioned I do not think they are the same (I think the 400ex and 250r are the same but not 450r)
I ordered the 450r one at least, I just wouldn't be able to tell the difference by looking if they had sent me the wrong one or something.

jkiserracing
08-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Heres a pic of the other side. It looks to be in all the way to me.

mc_racer
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
Ok I do see this space your talking about and you are correct. It does look like the circlip is not seated all the way. However the two tabs on the back side of this brake stay is preventing it from going any further. You can see in the picture.

If in fact this peice would go over against the swingarm more I think my problem would be solved. But I didnt think it was supposed to go over any more (due to these 2 tabs)

As for the carrier being one for a 400ex. I don't know. And as was mentioned I do not think they are the same (I think the 400ex and 250r are the same but not 450r)
I ordered the 450r one at least, I just wouldn't be able to tell the difference by looking if they had sent me the wrong one or something.
I believe this os your problem right here. Rotate the carrier (as if you are adjusting the chain) until the tabs are over the swingarm, then the caliper mount will go further onto the carrier. The snapring will be fully seated and you should have the clearance needed at the rotor.

D Bergstrom
08-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by mc_racer
Rotate the carrier (as if you are adjusting the chain) until the tabs are over the swingarm, then the caliper mount will go further onto the carrier.

MC Racer is correct. You have the axle to the bottom of the carrier. Rotate the carrier 180 degrees, so the axle is at the top, then adjust your chain from there. Long ago I tried to run the carrier with the axle to the bottom, figured I could gain a little extra ground clearance. I do remember the reason I couldn't do it was due to those tabs.

Doug

jkiserracing
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
That was it exactly. I just simply had the carrier in upside down so to speak. Here is the picture of it corrected.

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew if I let some others look at it, they would see something I didnt.
Thanks again,
Jimmy Kiser

jkiserracing
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
another

fearlessfred
08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
right on.ready to ride

hrc450er
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
if you grind those two knobs off you can run it upside down and gain a little ground clearence