PDA

View Full Version : 2010 DS450 hip

maconu
08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of a 2010 ds450 hip?

The frame on the 2010 was supposed to be changed and I know this is one area that was supposedly changed..

anyone know what else was changed on the frame?

maconu
08-21-2010, 06:33 PM
so what is the 1% change?

blaster99
08-22-2010, 06:53 AM
I have head more problems with Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha more than can-am. It's just that you own one, so you are constantly thinking about it. If you use the support brackets, you will have a hard time breaking the frame.

blaster99
08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Well you are just lucky then. I have seen YFZ frames trashed after not that much use.

honda524
08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
SORRY BUT THE CAN AM IS ONE OF THE STRONGEST AND LIGHTEST FRAMES OUT THEIR. I have never heard of a recent problem with the frame. Yes at first when the Can Am came out they had probems. This was just on the bottom of the line DS450. The MX and the X have been modified that makes the problems go away. If you are racing or an aggressive rider and you have just the regular DS you might have problems. I have had Honda's, Suzuki's and they all break after time.

Wired
08-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I would go through 4 yfz frames a year and have yet to destroy a can am frame over the past 2 years

TNT
08-23-2010, 05:23 AM
We owned two YFZ's a 04 first year and 05 and they both went to pot in less than six months of c-b class LOCAL racing....we had to put steel gussets at every joint...Our DS we have owned 1.5 years A-class(national level) racing not one issue. Steel dosn't flex as much as aluminium why the joints need heavy gussets. I had soooo many problems with the YFZ. two...YAM AL frame is terrible.....my boy hates riding his even as a practice quad, prefers his DS by far!!!!!

The DS frame is far superior to any out there period!

Not perfect, none are, I'd like to know what they have improved. I thought the 08 bullein took care of the HIP. Not sure I agree with the 2011 fix to swing arm sleeve stopping some that crack thier case close by there. I think the reason most crack there is because they don't know to bond in the swing arm bolt sleve that will crack the case, heard now 2011 had 4 sleeves and some rubber.....We also see leaks from the case where the swing bolt goes though since there is not enough gasket surface when you enlarge the hole for the new 08 sleeve per bulletin, I'd look at that area in 2011.....The upper engine bolt can use a better angle to tie to the upper rails. You don't need steel upper rails stocks are fine, just engine bolt steel sleeves and a better mounting bracket. The front a-arm transfer plate needs to be improved, the redesigned 2010 MX not XC with a bigger plate but no addition fastners or thicker frame that was cracking at the fastener, so time will tell there.

BTW: One race does not tell you if you have a good design. Made things worse or better. How often do you see steel and AL mixed together major structure on a quad from the factory, since they flex at different rates it can cause problems at the joints and AL. Hope it works for you Florentino.

TNT
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by florentino
tnt the can am is just my back up bike y race a 2006 yamaha. with lots of hrs on it. so it needs a crank. i dont whan to spend a dime on the ds like a 450 axel 1000 a amrs 3000 in the motor and so. just to find out i dont like it. what can i said i got the bike . last time i race a bone stock ltr i did real good.

tnt you are wrong about telling me my frame rails are not going to work. you never know. and if they do break i will make them better. thats call real world testing.
cam am also uses pros to get input on how they like the machine.
they should have call gust.
some times its good to think outside the box.
i really love how easy it is to work on a honda or yamaha.
so for 2011 cam am puts on a tick plate and call it good.
no way. they need alot more then that.
do you really think that all this pros that get sponsored by can am are going to tell that their frame sucks.
i have some pro friends that ride can am and tell me things that they can not say.

One thing we can agree on is if the YAM steel frame was that great why did they redesign it? Their version of an AL frame(poor copy of the DS), hmmm, maybe they should of stuck with steel which was terrible and heavy as a tank!!l! They put weak casting all over their alumumnum design, whereas the DS has strong extrusions. Extrusions are stonger because metal is pushed through a die, casting's pour metal into dies and cook it. Yam used weak bolts and nuts, CA permanent aircraft grade huck bolts MUCH stronger.

"tnt you are wrong about telling me my frame rails are not going to work. you never know. and if they do break i will make them better. thats call real world testing."

Not even close! Real world testing is releasing 2000+ quads to the world, several race teams accross the globe, as CA did in 2008, learning of the issues over a few years as now, 2011, redesigning to keep the retail cost at a competive level. You have a long ways to go my friend! :eek: :D

maconu
08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Sssoooooo......

Anyone have any pictures of the frame differences between 2008 and 2010 Can-Am DS450?

blaster99
08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
My god florintino... do you ever stop complaining? Go trade your can-am for a new yfz. Please please please do it, because this is getting so old. The YFZ frames do crack, new and old, so if the YFZ will really blow the can-am out of the water, no one is stopping you. Actually, I think many people would encourage the switch for you.

blaster99
08-24-2010, 04:40 AM
http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/13-images-other-media/90997-yfzr-broken-frame-pics.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/86-yfzr-x-powertrain/90013-09-yfz450r-frames.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/33-suspension-steering/93080-yfzr-issues.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/13-images-other-media/83621-2009-yfz-450r-broken-frame.html

Oh and there is more, I just don't feel like searching. If your can-am is such a burden to you, you could send it to me, and I will take it off your hands, no charge. You could sell it for 3,500 bucks too, but I'm all for sending it to me, Hell, I will even pay the shipping.

Blizzard24
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by maconu
Sssoooooo......

Anyone have any pictures of the frame differences between 2008 and 2010 Can-Am DS450?

Try calling BCS Performance, they might be able to let you know what the differences are.

TNT
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by blaster99
http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/13-images-other-media/90997-yfzr-broken-frame-pics.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/86-yfzr-x-powertrain/90013-09-yfz450r-frames.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/33-suspension-steering/93080-yfzr-issues.html

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/13-images-other-media/83621-2009-yfz-450r-broken-frame.html

Oh and there is more, I just don't feel like searching. If your can-am is such a burden to you, you could send it to me, and I will take it off your hands, no charge. You could sell it for 3,500 bucks too, but I'm all for sending it to me, Hell, I will even pay the shipping.

Wow! Just as I said in most cases that weak casting.....They put a big hole, no support in the center, where they engine is, so they put a weak casting in a big bending load from being canti-levered out there in a square with no center supports, made it super thick in some areas it looks like, hope for the best.....Just to much casting's on the quad, we use them for TP holders on AC, they can not take big arm/engine loads....YAM did that to save $, one casting vs alot of man hours to make and assemble parts on thier line, now it's bitting them in warrantee charges. As Blizzard said the replaceibility of the design, sucks!

The DS design is far, far, better. use a casting under the seat to the hip, but they used the right way and keep most of the load in stronger extrusions up front by the engine and arms. I don't recall seeing any probs on the DS frame casting. Look at this lower engine bolt failure Blaster posted, the old YFZ had no issues here. I actually think as I said the old steel design was bad but they redesigned to AL to make it worse!!

Florentino: I agree with Blaster and everyone else, hate to say it's getting old. Your not a structural engineer, not even close!...and thats a fact! :rolleyes: If CA is reading your post they are probably all laughing at you as most of us, your making it better, not that I have not done it too trying to figure them out lol, but you are really making a fool of yourself. The YFZ r was design by the same CATIA/NASTRAN modeling the DS as was the YFZ....it's been in the industry for decades!...all the JAP products use it including thier autos.

Blizzard24
08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Um... I havent had a problem w Limp mode or my clutch... two years of XC racing. with PLENTY of clutch abuse and mud. And I check all the bolts on my quad each time I prep the bike for a race, I guess I am an idiot for paying attention to the things that will cause a DNF or worse... an injury to me!

No it not in the DS owners manual that you should check all your bolts... its in the Common Sense manual you must have walked by in the book store

Blizzard24
08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
yes I did I forgot the cottor pin and lost my wheel 900 miles way... 5 years ago...

DNF's in about 60 races due to lack of maintenance- 0

and I admit my mistake that lead to a failure... you just continue to tell the world how bad can am is

oh wait... My 05 YFZ was junk because the wheel nut fell off
I will never own another Yamaha ever again... how dare they put a cottor pin on a quad's hub nut!!!!!!!!!!
:scary:

maconu
08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by florentino
[QUOTE][i]

PS its the same lower frame rail that you broke because you didnt check your bolt... a $185 fix.

ok so any time you have any kind of quad you have to check all bolts. if i only knew it was too late. but who is really doing it.
oh by the way its that in the manual haha.
facts speak louder then words. i dont think there is one guy that has not have some kind of problem like limp mode cluch and so.

You haven't mentioned anything usefull in this whole thread. This is the Shtuff that makes it anoying to find usefull information in forums.

O.K. THis is where you post and say the same thing again....

and..... go

HOBS DS450
08-25-2010, 10:18 AM
This guys never gonna stop coming on here and running his big mouth. I think his screen name should be changed to Herpes.

Fear not everyone, Herpes is going to finish his frame upgrades and we all will be saved. I'd have to admit though, I'm really surprised the men in black have not come in and swooped him up by now. I mean with his breath taking craftsmanship and engineering skills I was sure they would be picking him up to head our governments next big space project. You know the top secret one where they race superior quads equip with unbreakable frames on the moons of other galaxies.

Claas900
08-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Anybody who thinks the DS frame is the best is nuts. Is it a cool very engineered piece it sure is. Even I look at it and am impressed, but its failing is the sad part.
I'd put a Cdale frame against any other stock frame. Hands down tho the Cdale frame comes in at around 42lbs. Its also over an 10 year old designed. What's a bare DS frame weigh?

TNT
08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Everyone keeps talking about the Cannondale frame of the past, comparing it now, the riders those days were less abusive, the current pro lap times I beleive are far from the days of the C-Dale 10 years ago and most racing/riding has progressed...theres no comparison....if we are to compare lets compare apples to apples such as a YFZr vs DS450 frame, your nuts if the you think the YFZ or Kawi is Engineered better...

Now I will agree that the C-Dale from what heard from many was a good frame for it's time. In 3-5 the AL frame it will be further obsolete to filiment wound composites putting the C-Dale in the archieves.

jlrenken
08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
i just weighed my spare frame without subframe it was 21lbs with subframe prob no more than 25 26lbs

Claas900
08-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by jlrenken
i just weighed my spare frame without subframe it was 21lbs with subframe prob no more than 25 26lbs
Woo thats an impressive number. I would have guessed around 32 to 35 lbs.

Claas900
08-28-2010, 04:48 AM
I'd agree shocks are a lot better then 10 year ago. But it seems with frame geometry its all hit and miss. Even to this day its hard to find a good balance on what works best. I know I know depends on what your doing with it. Honda has been building ATV's scents the 80's. Yet the 450r had been changed twice that I know of and most ppl like the first set up better.
Even Cdale changed the steering stem 3 times trying to make everyone happy.
It would be neat to see a Cdale frame in a current pro class to see how it would hold up. I don't keep up with racing so I don't know if times are getting better,but I would hope so in 10 years.

ngarbe561
10-08-2010, 09:33 PM
All frames r ganna break sooner or later idk why people. Say so much stuff about um i kno people. With yamaha ssizuki hondas that break frames just as much as i do with my can am

fast rap
10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
they did a shoot out with can am, honda, yamaha, polaris, kawi and zuki and they said the kawi was the fastes out of the 6 but it would take a lot of money to get it where it was.

Ex_Rider43
10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
OMG , I dont have the time to read everything , but how can people bash something without putting it to the real test is beyond me..

Last year when the base gasket was the issue with some of the DS , Can am were quick to adress the issue by taking 7-8 people to ride 4 DS , we did this for 2 weeks , the 4 bikes were on the track all day long , taking a break only for fueling up.

I cannot say much about those 2 weeks , but this 'hip' problem is not true.

I am a Honda guy , but I can say that my Hondas would have never last those 2 weeks like the DS were.

Austin81
10-10-2010, 06:40 PM
K T M enough said !!!!!

blaster99
10-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Austin81
K T M enough said !!!!!

... do you really find the need to troll on at Can-am forum to convert us to KTMs? Really? Okay let me go sell my Can-ams and buy a KTM, and ditch the best customer service I have ever experienced and the best handling quad out there. :rolleyes:

Austin81
10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
WOW calm down dude. Just joking around. Chromoly frame is strong and lightweight, and it handles pretty good too.

xrxmxcx
11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
ya and...?

i can buy 3 can-ams for the price of one over priced KTM

or build one can-am that id be much happier with then a stock KTM

shall we go on?

525outlawrider
11-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree, the Can am frame is the best for the money .
If you want to build a new "open " Walsh racecraft is designing a new "universal frame " that is both light and strong , but it will take you out of production classes.

our 09 Can am was an MX so it is difficult for me to say what was part of the MX package, and what was the 09. because the mx package includes the bcs frame reinforcement kit.

jlrenken
11-27-2010, 09:05 AM
r there any pics of the walsh frame yet

525outlawrider
11-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Go to Walshracecrat.com
I beliee that the picture is on the home page

jlrenken
11-27-2010, 02:12 PM
nothing on their site that I could find

525outlawrider
11-27-2010, 02:31 PM
go to their site www.walshracecraft.com
on the left bar click on products
go down to CRF-450r double click
there it is
I am having trouble uploading the link

http://www.walshracecraft.com/walsh-crf450r.html

jlrenken
11-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought u were talking about a frame for the ds. sorry for the mixup

525outlawrider
11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
it is a frame for anything .....
It can be adapted to any engine easily.
using wlash design I'm sure that this will be the start of a new evolution in quad frames..... the last time walsh did this was the 250 r