PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Polaris?

rocky_mtn_honda
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I may have found a decent deal on a quad, if nothing else to make some money off of. Its a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700. Guy says the "engines knocking" and he wants to unload it for $2000.00. Bottom line is I think I might be able to get it for $1000.00. My question is, arent these a pain to work on and parts are rediculously expensive?...Just looking for a little guidance.

wilkin250r
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by rocky_mtn_honda
if nothing else to make some money off of.

Never never NEVER end a sentence with a preposition. What is the matter with you?

rocky_mtn_honda
08-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the grammar lesson.

m0t0xk1d
08-20-2010, 07:35 PM
My family owns 4 Polaris's and we've literally NEVER had a problem with any one of them. People say there junk but i dont understand why. Ive never broken down on one and i have a 99 that is still running very strong.

The Sportsman are pretty bulletproof. they go through anything and they have great suspension. I love them. there very comfortable too!

The parts prices arent bad either. There cheap prices compared to OEM honda.

btw the four polaris's we own are a '99 Sportsman 500, "05 Trailblazer 250, '05 Sportsman 600 and an '07 Predator 500. All great quads. Im sure youll be very happy with Polaris

rocky_mtn_honda
08-20-2010, 07:42 PM
my main concern is fixing this engine noise. i know the battle is mostly diagnosing it, but i cant break the bank doing it. it would be a real blessing if i could get this for cheap and fix it for cheap, cause my wife needs 4x4 and reverse...lol

wilkin250r
08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the grammar lesson.

Okay, I'll add what I can.

I own a Polaris Trailblazer, and now that I think about it, the prices were a little on the high side. They were comparable to 250r parts, so I didn't really notice at the time, but 250R parts are kinda pricey, so I guess that would make Polaris parts kinda pricey, too.

However, I CAN tell you that it was a nightmare to work on, it's just goofy. It was a ton of screws just to get the plastics off, and the design was just so much different than the Honda and Yammi sport quads I was used to working on.

But even with all that, I LOVE the Polaris utility quads. I don't care how difficult they are to work on, because I can still fix it. They aren't junk, so even if parts are a little on the expensive side, they're still fairly durable, so it's not like you're replacing parts all the time. I like the handling, I like the comfort, I like the suspension. I wouldn't hesitate to get one in a heartbeat, I've actually been looking for a while for a good price on one.

HondaRacing83
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
From what i heard,05+ Polaris's are ok quads-run pretty good.But below 05 they were kinda junk-had alot of problems

KFX450Rrider490
08-21-2010, 06:16 PM
id say go for it. like said polaris quads are bullet proof and thats any year. our family has has sportsmans since the mid 90's! imo they arent hard to work on they are just loaded with screws, and the torx heads are also very annoying. still thats a great deal so id do it and have some fun!

rocky_mtn_honda
08-21-2010, 06:20 PM
im seriously considering it, he says he just threw it up for sale so, in a week or so if he has no bites, i can have it for $1000.00. :D
thanks for the feedback guys.

CRE Performance
08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I run a shop in the afternoons, and have for many years. I kind of have to take the good with the bad, as in any business. I HATE POLARIS!!!!!! I REALLY HATE POLARIS UTILITIES!!!!!

$1000? You couldnt GIVE it to me. That quad wont bring $2000 in good shape, running right in most instances, and with an engine knock and paying out $1000, I can gaurantee that you wont make any money off it when its all said and done.

Kickstarts-suck
08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I personally wouldn't buy one.

My neighbor had one and was working on it more than riding it. It was a sportsman 500.

coryatver
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
i wouldn't buy one that old. the newer model years are much better the old ones were junk

tayyo789
08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I have that exact model, and I must say that it is an extremely tough bike. That thing has been through A LOT over the years and keeps on going.
However, it is, without a doubt, THE single, hardest thing I have ever worked on in my entire life. To do anything, you have to take half of the crap off of it.

chucked
08-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
I run a shop in the afternoons, and have for many years. I kind of have to take the good with the bad, as in any business. I HATE POLARIS!!!!!! I REALLY HATE POLARIS UTILITIES!!!!!

$1000? You couldnt GIVE it to me. That quad wont bring $2000 in good shape, running right in most instances, and with an engine knock and paying out $1000, I can gaurantee that you wont make any money off it when its all said and done.
Exactly what I was thinking

trx310R#24
08-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by CRE Performance

id only pay 300-500 but thats jsut me =p

chucked
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Id buy it.. For 3-500, then i would taje the motor apart, if it was anything more then something simple (probably not) I would part it out. Diffs are worth a few hundred alone.

SRH
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I may have found a decent deal on a quad, if nothing else to make some money off of. Its a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700. Guy says the "engines knocking" and he wants to unload it for $2000.00. Bottom line is I think I might be able to get it for $1000.00. My question is, arent these a pain to work on and parts are rediculously expensive?...Just looking for a little guidance.

polaris is a breeze to work on, the hardest part is getting the fenders off, then its easier than any honda or yamaha, id go for it for a grand , parts are expensive new from polaris but just about every model takes the same chassis parts and if i had to guess some of that engine will interchange with other models and there is a abundance of used parts out there

if you paid a grand for it, tore the motor down, got a complete gasket set, a new crankshaft or rebuild that one and you did the work yourself youd have about $700-800 in it tops, clean it up good, that would bring 2400-3000 here and sell pretty quick, ppl in this area anyway love polaris, probably one of the best sellers around